The Student Room Group

Gaming Desktop to Uni

I currently live in Northern Ireland and will be needing to take a flight to England for Uni.

My gaming laptop has just kicked the bucket, and I’d much prefer to invest in a desktop rather than a laptop at this point.

Anyone who’s brought their desktop to University, how did you manage taking it there - especially when flights or ferry journeys were involved?

Thanks so much
Original post by MatthewLeechx
I currently live in Northern Ireland and will be needing to take a flight to England for Uni.

My gaming laptop has just kicked the bucket, and I’d much prefer to invest in a desktop rather than a laptop at this point.

Anyone who’s brought their desktop to University, how did you manage taking it there - especially when flights or ferry journeys were involved?

Thanks so much

Have you considered ordering it to where you will be staying for uni? That would save having to take it to England yourself.
Reply 2
Original post by CatusStarbright
Have you considered ordering it to where you will be staying for uni? That would save having to take it to England yourself.

Definitely going to be the plan! It’s more so the transportation during Christmas, easter, and summer-

I’ve seen things about placing it in carry on luggage, but then the question of the monitor comes into place ! Everyone taking a train or car to university is very lucky hahaha
Usually I gather people put it in a suitcase. If you have a monitor then hopefully you have kept the packaging for it and can just put it back int he box it came in to transport that way. If you haven't then you might need to just bubble wrap it as much as you can and put it in another suitcase or a larger box.

Obviously going via plane makes things a bit more complicated - you might want to look into the possibility of couriering stuff over if needed?

Thanks so much

I am building a Formd T1.
Reply 5

Thanks so much

Is this going to be a fully sized pc, or is going to a smaller build?
Reply 6
Original post by NeoGalaxy
Is this going to be a fully sized pc, or is going to a smaller build?

I was thinking of buying one of the Omen pre builts! (20.4 x 47 x 55.5 cm)
Reply 7
Original post by artful_lounger
Usually I gather people put it in a suitcase. If you have a monitor then hopefully you have kept the packaging for it and can just put it back int he box it came in to transport that way. If you haven't then you might need to just bubble wrap it as much as you can and put it in another suitcase or a larger box.

Obviously going via plane makes things a bit more complicated - you might want to look into the possibility of couriering stuff over if needed?

Hopefully I could get away with taking it as carry on luggage - Will definitely keep the monitor box and maybe get it shipped over like you say!
Reply 8
Here's a suggestion and a possible alternative:

Instead of investing in a small form factor PC, which often comes with a higher price tag for equivalent performance compared to a standard-sized PC, you could consider purchasing a standard-sized desktop PC and monitor. Additionally, you might want to think about acquiring a gaming laptop as well. This approach may provide you with the best of both worlds: a powerful gaming setup at your university and a portable solution for when you're on the move or need the flexibility of a laptop.

I hope this suggestion is helpful for your situation!
Hopefully I could get away with taking it as carry on luggage - Will definitely keep the monitor box and maybe get it shipped over like you say!

Think you'd struggle to get away with a desktop in a suitcase as carry on tbh.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending