The Student Room Group

what does VPN do?

Does VPN mask my online browsing history? or does it make it look like I'm in a different country?

thank.
It masks your IP address so it is harder for you to be identified
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair
It masks your IP address so it is harder for you to be identified

But who would be identifying me?
Is it the ISP company if they were tracking me?
Reply 3
P.S. Thanks for answering 🙂 .
Original post by Pythian
But who would be identifying me?
Is it the ISP company if they were tracking me?

Your ISP can identify you and hackers
Reply 5
Your ISP can identify you and hackers

Can an ISP company track me using VPN?
Original post by Pythian
Can an ISP company track me using VPN?

I don't think so, but I don't know 100%
Reply 7
I don't think so, but I don't know 100%

Ok thanks.
The things is I have vpn with my antivirus software but never use it.
Reply 8
Original post by Pythian
Ok thanks.
The things is I have vpn with my antivirus software but never use it.

VPN allows you to access websites as if you were in a different location.

Without a VPN if you try to connect from point A (your home) to point C (the website) then your connection is direct

A -> C

This way, your ISP knows you are accessing site C, and also website C can identify your real location A.

If you now connect to a VPN (which is at location B) and THEN try connecting to C, the connections go

A -> B -> C

Your ISP only knows that you have went to a VPN, but they do not know that your overall journey ends at location C. Anything past B is masked to your ISP.

Likewise, as your connection to C comes from B, location C thinks location B is your true location even though you are at location A. Therefore, a VPN is useful to bypass geolocked content.

E.g. if you live in UK but want to watch a Netflix show that is only available in the USA, then you can just connect to a VPN that is in USA before connecting to Netflix.

See more here:

https://surfshark.com/blog/can-isp-see-vpn

Summary from that link:

IMG_5187.jpeg
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by LeTroll
VPN allows you to access websites as if you were in a different location.

Without a VPN if you try to connect from point A (your home) to point C (the website) then your connection is direct

A -> C

This way, your ISP knows you are accessing site C, and also website C can identify your real location A.

If you now connect to a VPN (which is at location B) and THEN try connecting to C, the connections go

A -> B -> C

Your ISP only knows that you have went to a VPN, but they do not know that your overall journey ends at location C. Anything past B is masked to your ISP.

Likewise, as your connection to C comes from B, location C thinks location B is your true location even though you are at location A. Therefore, a VPN is useful to bypass geolocked content.

E.g. if you live in UK but want to watch a Netflix show that is only available in the USA, then you can just connect to a VPN that is in USA before connecting to Netflix.

See more here:

https://surfshark.com/blog/can-isp-see-vpn

Summary from that link:

IMG_5187.jpeg

Thanks. That explained it v. well.
I use it mostly for some research and streaming
Reply 11
I use a VPN on my laptop but I prefer using proxies on my mobile devices as they provide me not only with online security but also with great search opportunities. I didn't regret that I decided to buy mobile proxy for android https://iproxy.online/ecommerce/ as later I started doing business and it turned out to be a great tool for web scraping.
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending