The Student Room Group

Am I Mental? I Can Get Into Oxbridge But Still Want to Go To ULIP (UofL Paris)

Okay, that may be a stretch. I am an American with 4 A-Levels from Cambridge International (A*A*AA) plus I have 9 AP Exams (American equivalent to A-Levels) scores of 555555554, plus a ton of super-curriculars, internships, etc. I want to study History & Politics or International Politics. Okay, so I don’t know a word of French yet but I am so darn sick of being one of thousands of students (there are 5,000 students at my high school!!) that ULIP in Paris looks so attractive to me! Am I crazy that I only want to go to college with 300-500 people?!? The size seems so cool!!! Am I losing it? My preferred ULIP course (International Politics) has been in Clearing 2 years in a row. Isn’t that a problem??? I have all of my qualifications DONE already before I apply this month. Please advise. Is ULIP a bad idea when I have qualifications that can get me offers elsewhere? Will I regret it?
(edited 4 months ago)
You know, Oxford isn't all that different from anywhere else. It's one of the oldest universities in the world, it's in an awfully nice town, the staff are world experts in their stuff, and they have this incredibly sadistic teaching style where they do the teaching of three months in only two, but other than that... there's no real magic that makes it super special and the best university in the land - in fact, you'll find that the vast majority of European universities are amazing places which will really set you up to triumph if you just put in the work. And Oxford isn't for everyone. So no, you're not mental for liking somewhere else better than Oxford and do go to ULIP if you get an offer there :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Scotland Yard
You know, Oxford isn't all that different from anywhere else. It's one of the oldest universities in the world, it's in an awfully nice town, the staff are world experts in their stuff, and they have this incredibly sadistic teaching style where they do the teaching of three months in only two, but other than that... there's no real magic that makes it super special and the best university in the land - in fact, you'll find that the vast majority of European universities are amazing places which will really set you up to triumph if you just put in the work. And Oxford isn't for everyone. So no, you're not mental for liking somewhere else better than Oxford and do go to ULIP if you get an offer there :smile:

Thank you! 🥰🥰🥰
Original post by Lola_From_USA
Thank you! 🥰🥰🥰

No problemo, wish you the best of luck with your ULIP application :biggrin:
hello Lola :smile:
you could check the population of an Oxford college and see if it's a number you like
Okay, that may be a stretch. I am an American with 4 A-Levels from Cambridge International (A*A*AA) plus 7 AS Levels (AAAAAAA) plus I have 7 AP Exams (American equivalent to A-Levels) scores of 5555554, plus a ton of super-curriculars, internships, etc. I want to study History & Politics or International Politics. Okay, so I don’t know a word of French yet but I am so darn sick of being one of thousands of students (there are 5,000 students at my high school!!) that ULIP in Paris looks so attractive to me! Am I crazy that I only want to go to college with 300-500 people?!? The size seems so cool!!! Am I losing it? My preferred ULIP course (International Politics) has been in Clearing 2 years in a row. Isn’t that a problem??? I have all of my qualifications DONE already before I apply this month. Please advise. Is ULIP a bad idea when I have qualifications that can get me offers elsewhere? Will I regret it?

Hey Lola! I'm currently a second year student at ULIP and if you want a really unique uni experience where you feel like part of a small community I would really recommend it. You have to prepare yourself for how different it is to a "normal" college/university experience - ULIP doesn't have the facilities, sports teams, student bars, huge libraries & study spaces, etc. that you would benefit from at a larger institution, and some people do find themselves disappointed by this, however the experience of living in Paris has really outweighed those negatives for me. The fact that everyone at ULIP is living abroad makes it a really bonding experience and this combined with the small student body means I've found myself making closer and more supportive friendships than I would have at a bigger university. The course itself is mostly great - some of the teaching is perhaps not as engaging as it could be but the content itself is challenging without being impossible. Overall, I would hugely recommend the experience!!
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
Hey Lola! I'm currently a second year student at ULIP and if you want a really unique uni experience where you feel like part of a small community I would really recommend it. You have to prepare yourself for how different it is to a "normal" college/university experience - ULIP doesn't have the facilities, sports teams, student bars, huge libraries & study spaces, etc. that you would benefit from at a larger institution, and some people do find themselves disappointed by this, however the experience of living in Paris has really outweighed those negatives for me. The fact that everyone at ULIP is living abroad makes it a really bonding experience and this combined with the small student body means I've found myself making closer and more supportive friendships than I would have at a bigger university. The course itself is mostly great - some of the teaching is perhaps not as engaging as it could be but the content itself is challenging without being impossible. Overall, I would hugely recommend the experience!!

Thank you so much for sharing this!!!!
Okay, that may be a stretch. I am an American with 4 A-Levels from Cambridge International (A*A*AA) plus 7 AS Levels (AAAAAAA) plus I have 7 AP Exams (American equivalent to A-Levels) scores of 5555554, plus a ton of super-curriculars, internships, etc. I want to study History & Politics or International Politics. Okay, so I don’t know a word of French yet but I am so darn sick of being one of thousands of students (there are 5,000 students at my high school!!) that ULIP in Paris looks so attractive to me! Am I crazy that I only want to go to college with 300-500 people?!? The size seems so cool!!! Am I losing it? My preferred ULIP course (International Politics) has been in Clearing 2 years in a row. Isn’t that a problem??? I have all of my qualifications DONE already before I apply this month. Please advise. Is ULIP a bad idea when I have qualifications that can get me offers elsewhere? Will I regret it?

Your stats are crazy good and you seem to be more than capable of achieving your goals! Why not try to apply if possible and see what happens? Anything other than success will be redirection which I'm sure will guide you further on your journey! Also seems like it'd be best to start learning french...

Quick Reply

Latest