The Student Room Group

anyone studying with oxbridge home learning or have done?

i am and waiting for tutors. how did u find it? are they much help?
Original post by alevelstudent090
i am and waiting for tutors. how did u find it? are they much help?

I have done for A Level Maths. I was in the midst of doing Further Maths with them until they changed the exam board.

Quality will vary depending on the course you are doing; this should be the same for other colleges.

Do you have specific questions in mind?
Original post by Anonymous
I have done for A Level Maths. I was in the midst of doing Further Maths with them until they changed the exam board.

Quality will vary depending on the course you are doing; this should be the same for other colleges.

oh nice, i’m waiting on them to find me tutors and im really nervous tbh. it’s expensive too and im hoping i’ll get support if i struggle and did they arrange an exam with you or not?
oh nice, i’m waiting on them to find me tutors and im really nervous tbh. it’s expensive too and im hoping i’ll get support if i struggle and did they arrange an exam with you or not?

You will get support if you email your tutor for it (once you have been allocated a tutor). The tutor I had for A Level Maths was responsive and was incredibly helpful. If I was able to do reviews on the individual tutor, he would have gotten a full 5 stars.

No, your exams aren't arranged for you as far as I know. If they do, they would have mentioned it as an optional package.

You would need to arrange for your own exams. It's a bit of a pain (unresponsive people at some exam centres), but you don't need to pay several hundred pounds on top for it, especially if it's not a science subject and you need to book for your practical assessments.

If you specify the subject and the exam board, I would be able to offer you pointers.
You will get support if you email your tutor for it (once you have been allocated a tutor). The tutor I had for A Level Maths was responsive and was incredibly helpful. If I was able to do reviews on the individual tutor, he would have gotten a full 5 stars.

No, your exams aren't arranged for you as far as I know. If they do, they would have mentioned it as an optional package.

You would need to arrange for your own exams. It's a bit of a pain (unresponsive people at some exam centres), but you don't need to pay several hundred pounds on top for it, especially if it's not a science subject and you need to book for your practical assessments.

If you specify the subject and the exam board, I would be able to offer you pointers.

hi, they did say that they'd help book and advise with £400 (400 and something cant remember the exact) per subject and the lady on the live chat was really nice and went through things step by step and she said for booking before summer 2023 and i'm hoping to book in may/june but i'm really nervous because my gcse's are really poor from my mental health and bullying i was also mentally unstable so was unable to revise or listen in lessons and i fell behind so took a year out to work but re took english & maths also got two other passes in along with my level 2 health and social care from a college that i did the next year and then i went to a level 3 this year but the travel was too far and didn't have enough time with work as well because bus times were really late or missed all the time and an 1 hr and a half bus journey which isn't worth it all and finishing college at 4:45 meaning it would be really late when i get home. i really am better and have worked on myself a lot and have looked into these subjects for a while and had a lot of thinking with it and am super motivated because i want to become a mental health nurse. i dont know if i have the chance to get into any unis and succeed. do you think i'll be okay?
this is why i need extra support and along with my autism and comprehension problems but all i can do is be dedicated and work my best.
hi, they did say that they'd help book and advise with £400 (400 and something cant remember the exact) per subject and the lady on the live chat was really nice and went through things step by step and she said for booking before summer 2023 and i'm hoping to book in may/june but i'm really nervous because my gcse's are really poor from my mental health and bullying i was also mentally unstable so was unable to revise or listen in lessons and i fell behind so took a year out to work but re took english & maths also got two other passes in along with my level 2 health and social care from a college that i did the next year and then i went to a level 3 this year but the travel was too far and didn't have enough time with work as well because bus times were really late or missed all the time and an 1 hr and a half bus journey which isn't worth it all and finishing college at 4:45 meaning it would be really late when i get home. i really am better and have worked on myself a lot and have looked into these subjects for a while and had a lot of thinking with it and am super motivated because i want to become a mental health nurse. i dont know if i have the chance to get into any unis and succeed. do you think i'll be okay?
this is why i need extra support and along with my autism and comprehension problems but all i can do is be dedicated and work my best.

Sorry for the late reply.

they did say that they'd help book and advise with £400 (400 and something cant remember the exact) per subject and the lady on the live chat was really nice and went through things step by step and she said for booking before summer 2023 and i'm hoping to book in may/june
OK that's nice. As far as I know, if you want to book for the exams for this May/June, you would really need to do it before February. If they haven't specified how to do this or you want me to give you pointers, let me know. This should be done as soon as possible.

but i'm really nervous because my gcse's are really poor from my mental health and bullying
I'm sorry to hear this. If you have any medical proof, you can use this to show that your grades were due to certain circumstances.
As far as I know, your Level 3 qualifications don't require you to have any specific grades in your GCSEs. You will need good GCSE grades for degrees though.

i was also mentally unstable so was unable to revise or listen in lessons and i fell behind so took a year out to work but re took english & maths also got two other passes in along with my level 2 health and social care from a college that i did the next year and then i went to a level 3 this year but the travel was too far and didn't have enough time with work as well because bus times were really late or missed all the time and an 1 hr and a half bus journey which isn't worth it all and finishing college at 4:45 meaning it would be really late when i get home.
They say that in order to do well, you will need a calm state of mind. I would normally recommend practicing meditation on a daily basis for 20-30 minutes or so to help condition the mind where possible.
Are you thinking of doing Level 3 Health and Social Care through Oxbridge then? If so, I don't think they have exams for it per se (although I might be wrong).

i really am better and have worked on myself a lot and have looked into these subjects for a while and had a lot of thinking with it and am super motivated because i want to become a mental health nurse. i dont know if i have the chance to get into any unis and succeed. do you think i'll be okay?
As far as I know, mental health nurse degree courses should accept Level 3 diplomas and you should be fine if your GCSE Maths and English Language are of high enough grade (I am hoping these are at least grade 5).
In terms of mental health nurse degrees, you would need one that's approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (most of them have pre-registration in their titles). See the following: https://www.nmc.org.uk/education/approved-programmes/
There are 232 degree courses that involve Mental Health Nursing. Not all of them are suitable, and you are looking for ones that are either Bacehlors or at Level 6. I am not going through all 232 of them, so you would need to do your own research.
If you get reasonably good grades where they are all at least Merits in your diploma, you should be fine for most courses. To check for the individual degree course (which you should always do irrespective of the generalisations people have), you should look at the entry requirements and check whether you have the right grades and whether your Level 3 diploma will be accepted. I am guessing not all of the universities will accept your diploma, so you would need to do some searching. If you are unsure if the university will accept your diploma, contact the life science department of the specific university and check with the undergrad admissions staff.

OK. Do note that university work will require you to be more independent. Whilst I appreciate that you have learning difficulties, and universities often provide assistance with some aspects of higher education, you would still need to be able to do independent study.
If you have problems learning how to comprehend some of the material, I can possibly offer pointers. However, you will need to be able to comprehend similar material in the future by yourself.
Do also note, I have come across a number of autistic professionals whom I respect in various areas of art, science (physics mostly), and medicine. Being autistic is not a detriment when it comes to learning. In some areas, it's actually a strength.
Austism only means you have issues relating to people, but plenty of autistic people have managed to get around this and relate to other people fine. Don't let it be your excuse when it shouldn't be.
Sorry for the late reply.

they did say that they'd help book and advise with £400 (400 and something cant remember the exact) per subject and the lady on the live chat was really nice and went through things step by step and she said for booking before summer 2023 and i'm hoping to book in may/june
OK that's nice. As far as I know, if you want to book for the exams for this May/June, you would really need to do it before February. If they haven't specified how to do this or you want me to give you pointers, let me know. This should be done as soon as possible.

but i'm really nervous because my gcse's are really poor from my mental health and bullying
I'm sorry to hear this. If you have any medical proof, you can use this to show that your grades were due to certain circumstances.
As far as I know, your Level 3 qualifications don't require you to have any specific grades in your GCSEs. You will need good GCSE grades for degrees though.

i was also mentally unstable so was unable to revise or listen in lessons and i fell behind so took a year out to work but re took english & maths also got two other passes in along with my level 2 health and social care from a college that i did the next year and then i went to a level 3 this year but the travel was too far and didn't have enough time with work as well because bus times were really late or missed all the time and an 1 hr and a half bus journey which isn't worth it all and finishing college at 4:45 meaning it would be really late when i get home.
They say that in order to do well, you will need a calm state of mind. I would normally recommend practicing meditation on a daily basis for 20-30 minutes or so to help condition the mind where possible.
Are you thinking of doing Level 3 Health and Social Care through Oxbridge then? If so, I don't think they have exams for it per se (although I might be wrong).

i really am better and have worked on myself a lot and have looked into these subjects for a while and had a lot of thinking with it and am super motivated because i want to become a mental health nurse. i dont know if i have the chance to get into any unis and succeed. do you think i'll be okay?
As far as I know, mental health nurse degree courses should accept Level 3 diplomas and you should be fine if your GCSE Maths and English Language are of high enough grade (I am hoping these are at least grade 5).
In terms of mental health nurse degrees, you would need one that's approved by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (most of them have pre-registration in their titles). See the following: https://www.nmc.org.uk/education/approved-programmes/
There are 232 degree courses that involve Mental Health Nursing. Not all of them are suitable, and you are looking for ones that are either Bacehlors or at Level 6. I am not going through all 232 of them, so you would need to do your own research.
If you get reasonably good grades where they are all at least Merits in your diploma, you should be fine for most courses. To check for the individual degree course (which you should always do irrespective of the generalisations people have), you should look at the entry requirements and check whether you have the right grades and whether your Level 3 diploma will be accepted. I am guessing not all of the universities will accept your diploma, so you would need to do some searching. If you are unsure if the university will accept your diploma, contact the life science department of the specific university and check with the undergrad admissions staff.

OK. Do note that university work will require you to be more independent. Whilst I appreciate that you have learning difficulties, and universities often provide assistance with some aspects of higher education, you would still need to be able to do independent study.
If you have problems learning how to comprehend some of the material, I can possibly offer pointers. However, you will need to be able to comprehend similar material in the future by yourself.
Do also note, I have come across a number of autistic professionals whom I respect in various areas of art, science (physics mostly), and medicine. Being autistic is not a detriment when it comes to learning. In some areas, it's actually a strength.
Austism only means you have issues relating to people, but plenty of autistic people have managed to get around this and relate to other people fine. Don't let it be your excuse when it shouldn't be.

hi thanks for your reply
i did the level 2 at college but i am not doing the level 3 health and social care diploma (that was at college but i left a few months after due to needing to work and bad transport as changed schedules and different company which meant lots of delays) and so i needed to study where i can be able to go to work and study without any transportation problems and getting home really late. now I'm studying psychology, sociology and religious studies and everything is going well. my tutors are nice and are helpful when i need them and i find it much easier as i work better at home. i really like studying now and i'm always excited to get started.
my maths and english are 4s which is a shame but i did look at some universities i could consider choosing some especially ARU as they say they care more about the personality as well and their grades for gcses are 4s for both maths and english language which is good as my friend went to an open day and told me about it but i really don't think i'll get accepted still. but for a levels i'm hoping to aim for the BBB-BCC mark.
hi thanks for your reply
i did the level 2 at college but i am not doing the level 3 health and social care diploma (that was at college but i left a few months after due to needing to work and bad transport as changed schedules and different company which meant lots of delays) and so i needed to study where i can be able to go to work and study without any transportation problems and getting home really late. now I'm studying psychology, sociology and religious studies and everything is going well. my tutors are nice and are helpful when i need them and i find it much easier as i work better at home. i really like studying now and i'm always excited to get started.
my maths and english are 4s which is a shame but i did look at some universities i could consider choosing some especially ARU as they say they care more about the personality as well and their grades for gcses are 4s for both maths and english language which is good as my friend went to an open day and told me about it but i really don't think i'll get accepted still. but for a levels i'm hoping to aim for the BBB-BCC mark.

OK sounds good. The important things are that you can do well in them and that you're enjoying them.

I would normally recommend looking into adult colleges since they would allow you to resit the GCSEs for free. However, if you do live out in the middle of nowhere and they don't do distance learning, then you would likely need to resort to self study. Oxbridge does do GCSE Maths with AQA. However, they only do iGCSE for English Language (I would recommend you look elsewhere for this).

I wish you luck in getting those grades. BBB should be more than enough to get on most nursing degree courses. I do recommend that you strive for higher marks if you can. What I normally do is to go on YouTube and search for advice on how to get A/A* in the subjects at A Level e.g. "How to get A/A* in Psychology A Level"; the videos normally give good pointers and strategies to improve your grades.
OK sounds good. The important things are that you can do well in them and that you're enjoying them.

I would normally recommend looking into adult colleges since they would allow you to resit the GCSEs for free. However, if you do live out in the middle of nowhere and they don't do distance learning, then you would likely need to resort to self study. Oxbridge does do GCSE Maths with AQA. However, they only do iGCSE for English Language (I would recommend you look elsewhere for this).

I wish you luck in getting those grades. BBB should be more than enough to get on most nursing degree courses. I do recommend that you strive for higher marks if you can. What I normally do is to go on YouTube and search for advice on how to get A/A* in the subjects at A Level e.g. "How to get A/A* in Psychology A Level"; the videos normally give good pointers and strategies to improve your grades.

i suppose you're right.

do you think i should definitely resit? or im fine with applying to a foundation degree and working my way up and re taking whilst in the foundation degree. or do you find it pointless?

yeah i dont mind because im hoping to look into unis that are local to me and most of them have low requirements so i should be ok fingers crossed. ahhhh, that is ever so helpful thank you so much.
Oxbridge arranged my exams and my practicals and there was no charge for this. There is a charge for the actual exam and practicals but not the admin of it.
I studied Biology, Comp Sci and Maths and I achieved 3 A's, very happy with the service and the tutors at Oxbridge.
Reply 10
Did Oxbridge provide you with predicted grades?
Original post by Francid
Did Oxbridge provide you with predicted grades?

yea
Reply 12
What was it based on? Your average assignment results? How many modules did they use to calculate the average? How did they decide on grade boundaries?

Thanks for your help.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by Francid
What was it based on? Your average assignment results? How many modules did they use to calculate the average? How did they decide on grade boundaries?

Thanks for your help.

you have to complete assignments and there are no set deadlines, you can complete them whenever. you also get graded from the marks you get. so basically, for me, i get one question per assignment (exam question) and whatever the mark you get will be converted to a grade.
when it gets to applying to uni, they will predict your grades by December they say and they predict it by averaging your grades from your assignments:smile:
Original post by franklin2003
Oxbridge arranged my exams and my practicals and there was no charge for this. There is a charge for the actual exam and practicals but not the admin of it.
I studied Biology, Comp Sci and Maths and I achieved 3 A's, very happy with the service and the tutors at Oxbridge.
Hey frank,can you tell me more about your experience?
Original post by Anonymous #1

Can you tell me more about your experience?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending