The Student Room Group
University of London
London

ULIP Experience 2022/2023

Heyy all! Just wanted to ask if there’s anyone currently enrolled in International Politics with ULIP and how is it coming along. How’s your learning experience, living in Paris and if the small cohort size is better.
Original post by travissss
Heyy all! Just wanted to ask if there’s anyone currently enrolled in International Politics with ULIP and how is it coming along. How’s your learning experience, living in Paris and if the small cohort size is better.

Hello!

I am currently at ULIP! It is definitely an interesting place, I wouldn’t say it is like a typical UK university experience. However, it is pretty cool, living in Paris is a big adjustment but so worth it. As a city it’s a great place to live and makes the whole experience. Small cohort is quite bizarre but it means you get to know everyone - lecturers and seminar leaders too, so it is quite a close knit environment. Let me know if you want to know more or have any questions!

@LeprechaunPCM
(edited 1 year ago)
University of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by ApriconE24
Hello!

I am currently at ULIP! It is definitely an interesting place, I wouldn’t say it is like a typical UK university experience. However, it is pretty cool, living in Paris is a big adjustment but so worth it. As a city it’s a great place to live and makes the whole experience. Small cohort is quite bizarre but it means you get to know everyone - lecturers and seminar leaders too, so it is quite a close knit environment. Let me know if you want to know more or have any questions!

@LeprechaunPCM

Hi thanks for your reply.

ive actually just withdrawn from University of Bristol due to circumstances in which I thought I wouldn’t be able to finish my studies. Anyways, I’m considering ULIP because it’s in Paris and I have a huge love for the culture and seem to never get bored of the place everytime I visit. Are there mature students? What’s the age group of the individuals there? I’m 25 this year lol
Hi thanks for your reply.

ive actually just withdrawn from University of Bristol due to circumstances in which I thought I wouldn’t be able to finish my studies. Anyways, I’m considering ULIP because it’s in Paris and I have a huge love for the culture and seem to never get bored of the place everytime I visit. Are there mature students? What’s the age group of the individuals there? I’m 25 this year lol

so with it being small year groups, think ours (1st year) is just less than 90, there are fewer students generally, and as such, it’s difficult to judge year to year, with just a couple of students making it a big swing iygwim. we have quite a lot of people who’ve taken at least 1 year out, i know a couple with 2/3 between a levels and coming to ulip, but there’s a few who are a few years older in the year above us.

if you like the city, and you like politics, very specifically international politics being key, then i think it’s a good choice.

lectures are interesting, not much choice specifically in first year, and the formats ulip uses are different, quickly come to have an awareness of most people on your course, and more broadly in your year.
Reply 4
Original post by LeprechaunPCM
so with it being small year groups, think ours (1st year) is just less than 90, there are fewer students generally, and as such, it’s difficult to judge year to year, with just a couple of students making it a big swing iygwim. we have quite a lot of people who’ve taken at least 1 year out, i know a couple with 2/3 between a levels and coming to ulip, but there’s a few who are a few years older in the year above us.

if you like the city, and you like politics, very specifically international politics being key, then i think it’s a good choice.

lectures are interesting, not much choice specifically in first year, and the formats ulip uses are different, quickly come to have an awareness of most people on your course, and more broadly in your year.

Thanks for this! Are there options to study French that’s not part of your examined curriculum?
Thanks for this! Are there options to study French that’s not part of your examined curriculum?

hallo. ! yes there are. i think there are two hours a week, offered at varying levels or foreknowledge, and working around your academic timetable.
Reply 6
Original post by LeprechaunPCM

Hi, ive also got an offer for 2023, and id like to equally ask, is there alot of ppl who havent done gap years? did you and if you did do you think it would be better to do one especially as this is not a reg uni experience, being abroad and all. Also wondering what the social life is like, is it easy to make friends and also with french ppl outside of the uni? thanks
Hi there,
This isn’t relevant to what the other person was asking but I do have questions and it would be great if you could help!
I currently have a conditional offer at ULIP for international politics, and I have just been offered a an au pair job with a host family from September - i was just wondering if you could tell me what a typical first year’s timetable would be like (ie would I be free from 4:30pm to look after children?? Or could I skip/leave a lecture a bit early?) and also do any people do au pairing while they study (like, is it realistic to be able to juggle the being a student au pair at ULIP) ?? Sorry I know that’s a lot of Qs but anything would really help !
Anisah :smile:
Original post by ApriconE24
Hello!

@LeprechaunPCM

Hi there,
This isn’t relevant to what the other person was asking but I do have questions and it would be great if you could help!
I currently have a conditional offer at ULIP for international politics, and I have just been offered a an au pair job with a host family from September - i was just wondering if you could tell me what a typical first year’s timetable would be like (ie would I be free from 4:30pm to look after children?? Or could I skip/leave a lecture a bit early?) and also do any people do au pairing while they study (like, is it realistic to be able to juggle the being a student au pair at ULIP) ?? Sorry I know that’s a lot of Qs but anything would really help !
Anisah :smile:
Hi! Sorry for the late reply, the university is pretty flexible when it comes to classes and if you need to leave by a certain time they’re happy to move you into different seminars to allow this. for first year my timetable was only mon-friday, and I was done by lunch most days, I think my latest day was like 2pm? I know of a couple other students who baby sit for children, not sure about au pair specifically, but I can’t see it being too uncommon. Lectures annoyingly aren’t recorded (not this year anyway) but all of the content is uploaded so it really isn’t the end of the world if you have to miss any, this can just be caught up with in the coordinating seminar. Hope this helps!
Original post by Lola_From_USA
Hello from the United States, @LeprechaunPCM! I am so interested in applying to ULIP for International Politics but I am hesitant due to the lack of student-based information out there. I have looked over ALL of the official marketing materials and enjoy its unusual approach to learn International Politics through culture, art, etc. I am applying on UCAS this Fall 2023 for 2024 entry and have already received my qualifications and I will have the equivalent of 7 A Levels (AAAAAAA), so I am passing up other decent options in the UK if I go with ULIP, and desperately need your opinion... Am I making a huge mistake by passing up the "full college experience" of another campus based uni? Or the prestige of another UK uni that is highly ranked? Why does ULIP say it is a "Community College" on its Facebook and Social Media pages? (that is considered the lowest form of college in America where anyone can sign up to attend). I am currently homeschooled / in virtual school so joining a small cohort will not be the worst thing ever. I must also mention that the International Student fees at ULIP are super inexpensive only £12,000 a year in tuition compared to £24,000 everywhere else! My family CAN afford this. I do plan to get my Masters in Politics or Journalism in the UK as well. My goal in life is to be a political journalist writing books for a living... Perhaps being an American Politics journalist for the BBC. My top choice university is Oxford, my second choice is a tie between Royal Holloway, UCL, LSE or ULIP. I know those 4 unis are drastically different in every way... But it nags me. How many times in my life would I get to live in PARIS for 3 years??? And the graduation ceremony looks stunning. So, can you please, please, please tell us all the PROS and CONS of ULIP. How are the grades assessed? Why such a high drop out rate? How hard is it to live in Paris if you don't speak French well? Are the ULIP professors good? How would you describe the student body? What is something NO ONE KNOWS about ULIP? What is the greatest thing about ULIP? How will employers view my degree in the UK? Thank you in advance for everything,

Hi! Sorry for the slow response, I am a ULIP student in my first year, however I am transferring universities for second and third year. Living in Paris is definitely a great experience and i’ve loved exploring the city, however the university is not worth it. From the sounds of it you have good grades and high aspirations and I feel you could do better. I know someone who turned down oxford for this and I really wouldn’t do that UNLESS you’re looking to properly learn french. I only study politics and the degree is barely political, the course lacks any decent structure and I think you could learn more online. for example one module this year was “cultural studies” which was just an abomination. I think you need to look really closely at all of these individuals courses modules and decide which appeals to you most. most universities have very similar first year modules so look into 2nd/3rd year to get an idea. ULIP is very history and social studies oriented, so unless that’s something you’re interested I wouldn’t recommend. In terms of employability, ULIP does give you that “international experience” but there is very little help from the university for your next steps post-degree. I understand the fees being an important factor, but i do feel you are just paying for what you get and i wouldn’t say it’s been worth the £9,250 i’ve paid. I know this sounds very pessimistic, but I just want to be honest with you about the kind of experience you could have if you go in solely for the academics. the small cohort hasn’t been bad, i’ve made great friends and have had a great experience, but with this smaller feeling there are less societies and events. I personally don’t regret the last year, however I know i would regret it if I stayed. I hope this helps you, good luck wherever you end up!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! Sorry for the slow response, I am a ULIP student in my first year, however I am transferring universities for second and third year. Living in Paris is definitely a great experience and i’ve loved exploring the city, however the university is not worth it. From the sounds of it you have good grades and high aspirations and I feel you could do better. I know someone who turned down oxford for this and I really wouldn’t do that UNLESS you’re looking to properly learn french. I only study politics and the degree is barely political, the course lacks any decent structure and I think you could learn more online. for example one module this year was “cultural studies” which was just an abomination. I think you need to look really closely at all of these individuals courses modules and decide which appeals to you most. most universities have very similar first year modules so look into 2nd/3rd year to get an idea. ULIP is very history and social studies oriented, so unless that’s something you’re interested I wouldn’t recommend. In terms of employability, ULIP does give you that “international experience” but there is very little help from the university for your next steps post-degree. I understand the fees being an important factor, but i do feel you are just paying for what you get and i wouldn’t say it’s been worth the £9,250 i’ve paid. I know this sounds very pessimistic, but I just want to be honest with you about the kind of experience you could have if you go in solely for the academics. the small cohort hasn’t been bad, i’ve made great friends and have had a great experience, but with this smaller feeling there are less societies and events. I personally don’t regret the last year, however I know i would regret it if I stayed. I hope this helps you, good luck wherever you end up!

Hello, I am just about to finish my first year ar ULIP and im also really considerin transferring like you did, for many of the same reasons as you. I would have to highly agree about the cultural studies module aswell it is a shambles. I was just wondering if you still look back at your transfer as the right move and if you miss Paris.
Hello, I am just about to finish my first year ar ULIP and im also really considerin transferring like you did, for many of the same reasons as you. I would have to highly agree about the cultural studies module aswell it is a shambles. I was just wondering if you still look back at your transfer as the right move and if you miss Paris.

hey, i miss living in paris, i do not miss ulip. i miss the friends i made that you trauma bond with because no mentally stable people up their lives and go to paris on a whim. i do not miss sabrina. i’m glad i left. i think id have been a glutton for punishment to stay <3

Hi!
So I transferred to QMUL because it could be done internally, and there is such a massive difference in teaching. going to a university that is small like ULIP has its benefits, but i’ve found going somewhere bigger you’re still getting the same amount of engagement from lecturers/tutors/seminar leaders - but this time it is far more organised. The range of modules is also great, not feeling limited in my studies has been a great perk of transferring. I do not regret moving at all, I still have moments where I miss Paris and the friends I made, but the uni I don’t miss at all. If you put in the effort you can still maintain those friendships so it doesn’t feel like you’ve “lost” something. For me, moving to London has been a great option, and it hasn’t made me feel like i’m missing out because I still have access to all the things I had in Paris. A big thing for me was knowing that i’d regret it more if I stayed, than if i left. Paris is always going to be there, so if you want to move back and work there after you graduate - that’s still an option and career wise you’d probably feel more supported if you came from a uni that actually cared about post-grad prospects. you’ve just got to ask yourself, is Paris more important than Uni. And it’s okay to pick Paris, it’s a great place and I miss it a lot - i just felt for me that my uni education was my priority. you have to do what’s right for you, it’s not an easy decision but you’ve got to fully commit to whatever you decide and trust your gut. good luck wherever you end up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending