The Student Room Group

Official Biomedical Science Applicant Thread 2024 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Calliope5Chalice
Hello!
Biomed applicant here (why are there so few of us?!).
Submitted my UCAS application yesterday, with 4 A* predicted.
I'm applying to Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh and I've already heard back from Leeds (applied for Nat Sci, not Biomed).
I'm also going to apply to Imperial, but prefer the Molecular Engineering course to Medical Biosciences tbh. Does anyone know how much they consider the PS in the selection process (as my PS is obvs very biomed focussed :/ )
I love anything neuroscience/pathology, computational bits, and medical physics!
And best of luck to anyone doing BMAT prep right now, it's tough but fingers crossed it'll be worth it

hey, how have u heard back from leeds alr!😮 also why didn’t u apply for biomed eng/ biomed tech? genuine q
Original post by 17277282kiosk
hey, how have u heard back from leeds alr!😮 also why didn’t u apply for biomed eng/ biomed tech? genuine q

I knowwww, I heard back in exactly 24h, BEFORE they sent the email about receiving my application (a bit odd but I'm not complaining).

Valid question haha, in essence, the biomed eng courses aren't bio enough for me! I don't like that they all take a very top-down, abstracted approach to solving problems that are deeply connected with biological systems, without providing/requiring a strong basis in biology. I really like the Imperial Molecular Engineering course because it links foundational human biology to engineering principles. Unfortunately, there was literally no other course that matched it. Hence the Biomedical Science applications :smile: I'd 100% consider a master's in biotech/bioeng though!
Original post by Calliope5Chalice
Hello!
I love finding people who actually want to do biomed! I'm the only applicant in my school discounting the 5th choice medic applications so was feeling slightly lonely haha
Predicted grades: 4A* (physics, maths, bio, chem)
GCSEs: 12 9s
No EPQ but have experience doing independent research (and love it!), so I've tried to choose research-oriented courses.
Unis: Oxford, UCL, Edinburgh (biomedical sciences), Leeds (Nat sci - offer), Imperial (molecular engineering)
Ik my choices went a bit rogue towards the end but I'm too attached to Imperial's mol eng. course not to apply
On that note... does anyone know how much Imperial will hate my biomed-focused PS (I included elements of medical physics bc I'm obsessed but still) ?

how are people getting offers already😮my school hasn’t even sent mine to ucas yet
Hi! International med applicant, but I made UCL biomed my 5th choice. I am mostly interested in immunology, pathology, and neuroscience. I applied a few days ago and just today I got an email saying that they received my application. My predicted is a 45/45 on the IB. I’m kinda worried because because my personal statement is so med related… I hope it works out in the end.Good luck everyone!
Hey everyone! I have been looking for a thread like this for a while now and have yet to find one so I made one :biggrin:

I've merged your thread with the offical one that is now a 'sticky' at the top of the forum. :smile:
Original post by normaw
I've merged your thread with the offical one that is now a 'sticky' at the top of the forum. :smile:

sorry i’m confused, what is a sticky and how do i find it?
sorry i’m confused, what is a sticky and how do i find it?

If you click the forum link below, the three applicant threads are 'sticky' to keep them at the top of the forum making them easier to find:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=631
has anyone got any offers yet?..
Reply 28
has anyone got any offers yet?..

yes i got one from bristol!
Original post by john3:16
yes i got one from bristol!

congrats! i almost applied there but chose kings instead
I switched Edinburgh and Durham for Kings and Bristol instead and I’ve just got an offer from Bristol!!
Reply 31
Original post by username10190205
hi! I’m a biomed applicant, and i’ve already submitted my application. i got predicted 3A*s, and i'm applying to oxford, bristol, bath, warwick and ucl. i’m most interested in pathology and genetics

ive applied to bristol bath and warwick too! and york & leeds.
Reply 32
Original post by emjw22
ive applied to bristol bath and warwick too! and york & leeds.

no way!! i nearly applied to york too omg
Reply 33
congrats! i almost applied there but chose kings instead

thank you!! i loved the course at kings but i only wanted to apply to one london uni so i chose ucl 🥲🥲
thank you!! i loved the course at kings but i only wanted to apply to one london uni so i chose ucl 🥲🥲

not me applying to 3 london unis hahahha
Reply 35
not me applying to 3 london unis hahahha

lolllll i lowkey wish i’d done ucl and kings instead of warwick
Reply 36
hi, I’m a biomed applicant, and i’ve already submitted my application! Im predicted A*AA and have applied to Cardiff , Leeds ,Sheffield,newcastle and Nottingham Trent. (just received an offer from Cardiff).
lolllll i lowkey wish i’d done ucl and kings instead of warwick

u can still change!!
Original post by Izzyp123
hi, I’m a biomed applicant, and i’ve already submitted my application! Im predicted A*AA and have applied to Cardiff , Leeds ,Sheffield,newcastle and Nottingham Trent. (just received an offer from Cardiff).

how come u didn’t apply to more competitor rg unis like ucl etc /gen
Reply 39
how come u didn’t apply to more competitor rg unis like ucl etc /gen

I don’t do chemistry !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending