The Student Room Group

royal holloway biomedical science or durham biological sciences???

so I'm very stuck and I just wanted to see what others might do in my situation.
I've now received all 5 decisions from ucas (finally!!) and I'm seriously conflicted 😭 luckily I got offers for the 2 I wanted the most - biomedical sciences at Royal Holloway and biological sciences at durham.
As far as I can see online, biomedical sciences seem a bit more employable and easier to find a career. so on one hand I'm leaning towards rhul.
but on the other hand, durham is really a fantastic university, and I would hate to look back in 5 years and regret turning it down. perhaps its reputation would help with the job search?
I have no idea what I want to do after uni to be honest, I just want to set myself up for success :smile:
and I know nobody can decide for me, I just think it'd be helpful to see other perspectives.
Original post by sarushelepurushe
so I'm very stuck and I just wanted to see what others might do in my situation.
I've now received all 5 decisions from ucas (finally!!) and I'm seriously conflicted 😭 luckily I got offers for the 2 I wanted the most - biomedical sciences at Royal Holloway and biological sciences at durham.
As far as I can see online, biomedical sciences seem a bit more employable and easier to find a career. so on one hand I'm leaning towards rhul.
but on the other hand, durham is really a fantastic university, and I would hate to look back in 5 years and regret turning it down. perhaps its reputation would help with the job search?
I have no idea what I want to do after uni to be honest, I just want to set myself up for success :smile:
and I know nobody can decide for me, I just think it'd be helpful to see other perspectives.

Hiya 👋

Congrats on all your offers! Have you visited the universities yet? I think it's so important to get an idea of where you'll be living for the next few years.

As far as a future job search goes, the institution that you choose will have little bearing on your employability. Your grade matters more, and employers don't really care about the location!

As far as biomed goes, those two choices aren't accredited by the IBMS which is what you would need if you wanted to work specifically as a Biomedical scientist after you graduate. There are so many careers you could go into with a biosciences degree, but just be aware of the biomedical scientist job role - it's a protected title regulated by the HCPC. There are a few hoops to jump through if you don't have an accredited degree with a placement year.

I think it's most important to do a degree that you enjoy, in a place that you love, learning modules that spark your interest. Your success will come from enjoying the whole uni experience so choose the place that you think will help you to excel!

Best of luck 😊
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hiya 👋
Congrats on all your offers! Have you visited the universities yet? I think it's so important to get an idea of where you'll be living for the next few years.
As far as a future job search goes, the institution that you choose will have little bearing on your employability. Your grade matters more, and employers don't really care about the location!
As far as biomed goes, those two choices aren't accredited by the IBMS which is what you would need if you wanted to work specifically as a Biomedical scientist after you graduate. There are so many careers you could go into with a biosciences degree, but just be aware of the biomedical scientist job role - it's a protected title regulated by the HCPC. There are a few hoops to jump through if you don't have an accredited degree with a placement year.
I think it's most important to do a degree that you enjoy, in a place that you love, learning modules that spark your interest. Your success will come from enjoying the whole uni experience so choose the place that you think will help you to excel!
Best of luck 😊

Thanks! I’ve visited Durham many times as I live round those parts and I love it. However, Holloway looks absolutely gorgeous too!
My indecision doesn’t really come from picking between the unis but picking between the courses.
I feel like I would enjoy both of them but which one has more opportunities, biomedical science or biological science??

Hello,

We hope you managed to find all the information you need!If you have any further questions, feel free to chat with one of our current Biological Sciences students. Find out what life is really like at Royal Holloway: www.royalholloway.ac.uk/chat and sign up for more information about us here: https://royalholloway.ac.uk/studying-here/sign-up-for-more-information/

Best wishes,

Royal Holloway, University of London Rep
Thanks! I’ve visited Durham many times as I live round those parts and I love it. However, Holloway looks absolutely gorgeous too!
My indecision doesn’t really come from picking between the unis but picking between the courses.
I feel like I would enjoy both of them but which one has more opportunities, biomedical science or biological science??
I study biomed, because I want to be a Biomedical scientist so I'm pretty biased I suppose! I'm on my placement year this year which has been great to experience the career I want to go into.

I think it's a good idea to research jobs or industries that you think you would like to go into. Look at realistic things like salary expectations and qualification requirements. Also things like the amount of job postings for particular roles, for example if recruitment sites have very few roles available then it might be a competitive industry to get into. If you can find a job now that you'd like to do in the future, and they specify what degree they would like then that's your answer. You may find however that they do not ask for a specific degree which is great! When it comes to writing your CV at uni, you'll focus more on describing the modules that you've studied that can give you transferable skills.

I chose my degree based on researching what career I would find interesting and I could see myself enjoying. I've always enjoyed science, human biology in particular. I thought about healthcare, but I wanted to take away the patient-facing aspect of it. I did my research on biomed and found it suited me best for what I wanted to do when I graduate.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending