The Student Room Group
Student visits the library, University Campus Suffolk
University of Suffolk
Ipswich
Visit website

Official University of Suffolk Applicant Thread for 2024

Hi there,

Welcome to the official University of Suffolk Applicant Thread for 2024! Here, you have the opportunity to meet and chat with fellow applicants and ask any questions you want regarding applying to University of Suffolk.

Below are some icebreaker questions to help you get started:

“What course are you applying for?”
“Will you be attending any Open Days?”
“How are you feeling about starting University?”

Get involved in more conversations by visiting our directory here and join in with the Yr 13 Chat thread here.

Good luck and happy posting!
Don’t go to this uni if you want any kind of social life. There are like 2 clubs and no societies. Very few people live in halls and they don’t put on any activities so you meet each other. Worst decision of my life going to Suffolk
Student visits the library, University Campus Suffolk
University of Suffolk
Ipswich
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #1
Don’t go to this uni if you want any kind of social life. There are like 2 clubs and no societies. Very few people live in halls and they don’t put on any activities so you meet each other. Worst decision of my life going to Suffolk
Hi Anonymous #1,

I'm sorry to learn about your negative experiences regarding social life at the Uni. May I ask which course you're studying?

I would say the block teaching definitely doesn't help in this regard, as people tend to go their own ways (work, childcare and other commitments) as soon as the teaching time is over, and that it might be tricky to hang out with peers outside one's cohort as schedules vary per course.

However, I think that the cohorts are so diverse regarding age, culture, extra-curricular activities and responsibilities makes the Uni so vibrating. However I myself have experienced some difficulties at connecting with others, I have definitely met some people whom I would form a deeper connection and could spend quality time with.

Furthermore, the Uni does have spaces for students to gather and connect, such as the SU (I spend a lot of time there as sometimes I find the library too quiet), library - group study spaces -; also, the continuous exhibitions in The Hold, the Hold's Cafe, the Mix (former Cult), and the different events regularly held there, also Fresher's & Re-Fresher's events, International student events, Fairs (e.g. Job-, Christmas-), and regular (weekly/bi-weekly and monthly) events held by the SU, study groups within cohorts, also the different Sports Societies within the SU (they have subscription-based but also drop-in sessions), as well as the Chaplaincy (for people with no religion as well).
I appreciate it may feel more challenging to connect with others in a higher educational environment - because at Uni, unlike high school or college, we have different lives and schedules - but it is possible and the Uni does strive to provide platforms to this.
Additionally, joining the Student Ambassador Scheme isn't just an opportunity to get some paid work experience and to get to know more about the Uni and other subjects through taster sessions, but also a good way to get to know and connect with fellow students.

I don't know which year you are in, but it is never late to explore any of the above, talking from own experience. I've joined the SAS in my third year and tried Fresher's Week events for the first time this year, and so good I did.

Viki
University of Suffolk Student Ambassador
3rd year Psychology and Sociology Student
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hi Anonymous #1

I understand your frustration with the social aspect at Uni, but it's important to remember that social life can often require proactive effort from individuals as well as support from the institution. While it's disappointing that there may be limited clubs and societies, there are still opportunities to socialize and make connections.
Have you considered taking the initiative to start your own club or society based on your interests? Sometimes, creating the community you want to be a part of can be incredibly rewarding. Additionally, reaching out to fellow students through classes, study groups, or online platforms can help expand your social circle.
If you're feeling isolated, it might also be beneficial to speak with someone from the university's student services or counseling center. They can offer support and resources to help you navigate this aspect of university life.
Remember, your experience is valid, but there are often ways to improve it with a bit of creativity and initiative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending