The Student Room Group

Chemistry moles help

Please could I have help on part 2 vi on this question? I have attached the question with the markscheme but basically what I did was used my answer to v and then divided it by 2 and multiplied by 3 to get the moles of equation 1 and then the moles of sodium nitrate would be equal to that but the markscheme says something else? Thank you
Original post by Ashirs
Please could I have help on part 2 vi on this question? I have attached the question with the markscheme but basically what I did was used my answer to v and then divided it by 2 and multiplied by 3 to get the moles of equation 1 and then the moles of sodium nitrate would be equal to that but the markscheme says something else? Thank you

You did not attach the question…
Original post by Ashirs

You didn't attached your question, but you can also written it down, if it doesn't work.
Original post by Ashirs

The ratio between 3NaNO3 : 3NH3 is 1:1
The only thing you need from the second equation is the moles of NH3. The reason being because the second equation shows what happens to the ammonia gas produced - you worked out the moles from it

you substituted the second equation of ammonia into the first one, which is why you did moles of ammonia x 3/2.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 5
Original post by BankaiGintoki
The ratio between 3NaNO3 : 3NH3 is 1:1
The only thing you need from the second equation is the moles of NH3. The reason being because the second equation shows what happens to the ammonia gas produced - you worked out the moles from it

you substituted the second equation of ammonia into the first one, which is why you did moles of ammonia x 3/2.

Thanks but shouldn’t you substitute it to compare the moles from the second equation to the first equation because they’re different? Like 3/2 moles are reacting?
Original post by Ashirs
Thanks but shouldn’t you substitute it to compare the moles from the second equation to the first equation because they’re different? Like 3/2 moles are reacting?

No - reaction 1 produces X moles of NH3
Reaction 2 is describing X moles of NH3 reacting with something
You worked out the X moles or NH3 using the previous parts of the question

Quick Reply

Latest