The Student Room Group

(Computer Science) Birmingham vs Newcastle vs Manchester vs York vs Southampton??

Hi guys,
Which one is best in terms of graduate employability and reputation?

1) Newcastle University
2) University of Birmingham
3) University of York
4) University of Manchester
5) University of Southampton

I'm an international student and received conditional offers from Newcastle, Birmingham and York for an MSc in Advanced Computer Science. I'm still waiting for a response from Manchester and Southampton(MSc Software Engineering)

Which one do you recommend? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
They are pretty much on a par really and very much depends on where you would like to be based. The Universities all have good employability but consider if they offer any year in industry as these experiences really help.
Marginally, Southampton and Manchester pip the other three, but really not enough to overide module combinations offered or city/town experiences. So really weigh these things up too. Also consider student experience (and it doesn't follow that it is the best at Unis with the 'best' reputations for looking after undergraduates) which you can find here:

https://discoveruni.gov.uk/
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 2
They are all Russel groups so therefore they all have a good reputation and offer good graduate employability.
If I was to rank them I would say:
1. Manchester/York
2. Southampton
3. Birmingham/Newcastle

It really doesn’t matter though, they are all good. I would also consider which city you would prefer to live in, do some research on that as that’s quite an important factor.
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by totallyfine
They are pretty much on a par really and very much depends on where you would like to be based. The Universities all have good employability but consider if they offer any year in industry as these experiences really help.
Marginally, Southampton and Manchester pip the other three, but really not enough to overide module combinations offered or city/town experiences. So really weigh these things up too. Also consider student experience (and it doesn't follow that it is the best at Unis with the 'best' reputations for looking after undergraduates) which you can find here:

https://discoveruni.gov.uk/

Thank you so much for detailed reply!
Reply 4
Original post by Bo77 Tman
They are all Russel groups so therefore they all have a good reputation and offer good graduate employability.
If I was to rank them I would say:
1. Manchester/York
2. Southampton
3. Birmingham/Newcastle

It really doesn’t matter though, they are all good. I would also consider which city you would prefer to live in, do some research on that as that’s quite an important factor.

Thanks for the reply!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending