The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York vs London

Hi everyone!

I've got offers from University of York and University of London (delivered by Birkbeck) for online MSc in Computer Science, and I'm wondering which one to choose.

Both are online programs. Curriculums are mostly the same, tuition differs insignificantly.

On one hand York is:

1. Part of Russell Group,
2. Higher in ratings (if compare vs Birkbeck).

On the other hand London is:

1. More prestigious and known name, especially abroad - or it is my personal bias? (I guess the only thing HRs in my country knows about York is that it's the homeland of Yorkshire terriers...)
2. Slightly more expensive
3. Lower in ratings (if compare Birkbeck vs York).

Many thanks for advices!
(edited 1 year ago)
If I may add one more disadvantage of BBK: their admin responds quite slowly.

If the rankings mean something to you, according to QS2023 York is ranked 21 and BBK is 37, not sure if it is big difference to you. Meanwhile, I actually agree with you, UoL enjoys special reputation that many other unis with high rankings cannot be comparable.
University of York
York
Original post by unckle
Hi everyone!

I've got offers from University of York and University of London (delivered by Birkbeck) for online MSc in Computer Science, and I'm wondering which one to choose.

Both are online programs. Curriculums are mostly the same, tuition differs insignificantly.

On one hand York is:

1. More prestigious and known name, especially abroad - or it is my personal bias? (I guess the only thing HRs in my country knows about York is that it's the homeland of Yorkshire terriers...)

Many thanks for advices!

Hey,

You could check out some student blogs to get more of an insight into what it's like to study at each uni. We've got a few blogs that might be of interest:
- A week in the life of a Computer Science student
- My Computer Science placement year

Give us a shout if you have any questions about what it's like to live and study in York!

Hazel :smile:
Original post by unckle
Hi everyone!

On one hand York is:

Many thanks for advices!

Hi,

I am in the same position this year! Who did you end up choosing and are you happy with your choice?
Any information you can provide me with will be a huge help so thank you in advance.
Reply 4
Hi,

I am also interested in an online course for msc Computer science with data analytics delivered by the York, however I am a bit torn with Computer science with data science delivered by wolverhampton which is what I am technically looking for. So I am not sure which to choose?
wolver who ?
Original post by SANU1234
Hi,

I am also interested in an online course for msc Computer science with data analytics delivered by the York, however I am a bit torn with Computer science with data science delivered by wolverhampton which is what I am technically looking for. So I am not sure which to choose?
Reply 6
Original post by GoodStewdent
wolver who ?

Hi sorry, was that a sarcasm or actually asking Wolverhampton University?
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

I am in the same position this year! Who did you end up choosing and are you happy with your choice?
Any information you can provide me with will be a huge help so thank you in advance.

Hi,

I got offer from both and I am currently placing on hold. Not gonna lie I am very much considering for the York given that its more prestigious and is part of russell group. Cuz I stay in London and I graduated from a non russell group I think it might be a better shout. But Birkbeck definitely has a much higher student rate in online degree . Haven't checked the results for the job opportunity success rate after.
P.s did you apply for conversion course or are you coming from a computer science background? Just curious
(edited 8 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending