The Student Room Group

Art therapy

I'm a 3rd year biomedical sciences student and I dotn have much of a plan for my career ahead. I once considered art therapy, but circumstances led to me doing this degree. What path can I take now to pursue a career in art therapy?
You'll usually need a first degree in art or a relevant subject. You may be accepted onto a course without an art degree, if you have a strong art background. Those accepted onto the courses are usually mature, flexible people who have had experience of working in mental health, education, special needs or social services before applying. You will need to show a portfolio of your art work. They cover the psychology of image making, therapeutic relationships, the importance of boundaries and psychological and psychotherapeutic practice.

You can also do a Degree apprenticeship.

A level 7 apprenticeship for arts therapists, including art therapists/art psychotherapists, dramatherapists and music therapists is available but opportunities are currently limited. You'll need to apply for an apprentice position with a health care provider.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending