The Student Room Group

Does anyone know of any accredited distance learning art therapy courses?

I live near wigan, and the only two art therapy courses are in Chester and Preston, which is quite a way for me... I’m gutted because this is what I really want to study! I have a young daughter and I’m not currently driving, I do plan on learning after Christmas.

Any help is appreciated. If anyone has done an art therapy masters, what’s the weekly time table like?

Thanks in advance
Hi!

I'm currently a second year student here at UCLan, I'm also from Wigan.

Have you thought about short courses at all? We offer some such as 'Expressive Arts Therapy' (http://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/creative-expressive-arts-therapies.php) and 'Art Therapy: An Introduction' (http://www.uclan.ac.uk/courses/introduction_to_art_therapy.php) which could be beneficial to you.

Alternatively, there is an Arts - Health MA which you could study either full time or part time all dependant on your circumstances really, in terms of timetabling I'm not too sure however you could give the UCLan <i> a call at 01772 895000to see if they'd be able to clear anything up for you?

Have you thought about the option of commuting in via train at all? When I go home to visit, I tend to catch the train back to university to get to classes on a Monday morning which from Wigan North Western isn't too bad of a commute?

I hope this helps,
Wendy
Using Art Therapy with others is a great online course from Arr Therapy Groups. Covers a lot of useful topics. If you’d like to network then inbox me as I practice in Preston
The art therapy course in the North West are based in Sheffield and Chester, there isn’t a course in Preston. The Sheffield course is validated via Leeds Beckett. This course has run in some shape or form for 40 years. The course in Chester is newer, established about 8 years or so. Other courses are based in the South East, Wales, Derby, Edinburgh and Belfast. All the courses are quite different and some have a much more rigorous entry protocol than others, although entry requirements are the same. ( these courses are often oversubscribed so can choose who they take). You will need a minimum of a year working with vulnerable people and a 1st degree in art or psychology/ professional qualification eg social work. Fees for courses also vary. The timetable is pretty full on both full or part time. It is an emotionally demanding course. You will be required to set aside study time as well as go to uni for 1 or 2 days per week. Also undertake a placement for 1 or 2 days per week/ 120 days (this may involve travel). You will also have to pay for ( additional to course fees) and attend personal therapy each week outside of uni time. Requirements for the amount varies between course minimum 55 hours. This is especially important for personal development, as well as understanding the work you do with clients. There is no guarantee of work at the end of the training. Many art therapists have another job to pay the bills as it were! It’s tough work and unless fortunate enough to obtain a rare full time position, you will need to generate your own work. There are less than 4000 HCPC regulated art therapists in the UK, unless people have done an accredited course they cannot use the titles Art Therapist or Art Psychotherapist, or say they do art therapy. There are not any online/ distance courses that lead to regulation. We work with very vulnerable people, training needs to make certain trainees have the required competance to practice -there are no short cuts.
Hello! I`ve the same situation as you! I have been looking the arts programms for 1 mounth. So i want to share with you my experience! In this web free-apply.com I`ve find a lot of information about Wichita Area Technical College. All of information thre! pay your attantion for this web. Maybe it will help you. good luck!
Original post by Vintagedoll91
I live near wigan, and the only two art therapy courses are in Chester and Preston, which is quite a way for me... I’m gutted because this is what I really want to study! I have a young daughter and I’m not currently driving, I do plan on learning after Christmas.

Any help is appreciated. If anyone has done an art therapy masters, what’s the weekly time table like?

Thanks in advance
Hi,

I am a practicing art therapist...If you wish to work as an art therapist in the U.K. you will need to train at Masters level 2-4 years. The courses include placements, lectures, supervision groups, experiential therapy groups. You must also pay for your own weekly personal therapy throughout. The qualifying courses are approved by the Health Care Professions Council- which all art therapists are statutory regulated by. The titles Art Psychotherapist and Art Therapist are protected by law in the U.K. so unless someone has done the correct training, they shouldn’t use the title. Currently there are no distance learning courses - course content wouldn’t lend itself to it.
I know, the link I gave is a course at Level 3. It would not fully qualify you but would give you an accredited introduction to the topic to see if it's a route for you. It also carries UCAS points.
From there you would have to go to uni in order to fully qualify as a therapist.
Reply 8
Original post by Vintagedoll91

Thanks in advance

Hi. Wolverhampton University do online similar subject

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending