The Student Room Group

Electrical Engineering vs Computer engineering

Hi I'd like some advice on these 2 UNI courses. I really like computer science especially since I was a kid but I also love working on hardware and I feel that comp science doesn't have that. Then I found out about comp engineering which has a mix of both. Has anyone studied this course before and would you recommend it. Also what is the best uni in the uk to study specifically comp engineering as I'm finding it hard to find subjects in good uni's by that name. Thanks
Hi,
Overall computer science is a better degree for job prospects in the UK. You can do some hardware stuff in your spare time, a computer science degree is more than enough if you still wish to pursue a career in embedded software.

"Also what is the best uni in the uk to study specifically comp engineering"
Answer: There is no "comp engineering" in the UK, this is an American term. However, there are some universities that offer joint honors in electronics and computer science which would be most similar to comp eng. Two of these I can think of the top of my head would be Edinburgh(Electronics and Computer Science) and computer/electronic engineering at Loughborough university(where I am right now). Ofcoure there might be more, you need to look for a joint honors degree like I said or use similar terms. Because "Computer Engineering" might not exist but similar courses might.

Links: MEng Electronics and Computer Science | The University of Edinburgh
Computer and Electronic Engineering BEng | Undergraduate study | Loughborough University (lboro.ac.uk)
Reply 2
Original post by jonathan_Smith
Hi,
Overall computer science is a better degree for job prospects in the UK. You can do some hardware stuff in your spare time, a computer science degree is more than enough if you still wish to pursue a career in embedded software.

"Also what is the best uni in the uk to study specifically comp engineering"
Answer: There is no "comp engineering" in the UK, this is an American term. However, there are some universities that offer joint honors in electronics and computer science which would be most similar to comp eng. Two of these I can think of the top of my head would be Edinburgh(Electronics and Computer Science) and computer/electronic engineering at Loughborough university(where I am right now). Ofcoure there might be more, you need to look for a joint honors degree like I said or use similar terms. Because "Computer Engineering" might not exist but similar courses might.

Links: MEng Electronics and Computer Science | The University of Edinburgh
Computer and Electronic Engineering BEng | Undergraduate study | Loughborough University (lboro.ac.uk)

oh ok i see, Thanks for the reply.
Reply 3
my friends study electronic engineering and they became an embedded software engineer. Decide what career you want and choose one of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending