The Student Room Group

concentration

Anyone has this problem where when you read something you completely forget that you were reading it to understand the content and instead start to think about some other stuff and it just keeps on happening whenever you revise? This happens all the time to me and it keeps on dragging my study time longer than I anticipated it to be.
Hi!
I get what you're going through with that mind-wandering thing during study sessions it happens to me at times.

Here are some of the things that I’ve been doing recently to help me concentrate better:

Breaking study time into smaller chunks and taking short breaks in between.

Actively engage with the material by summarising it in your own words or teaching it to someone else, doing so makes what you read stick in your mind, and you eventually understand it better.

Minimising distractions, I’ve started to turn off my phone notifications as I am easily tempted to go on my phone, I have recently discovered focus apps like Flora are useful. Flora lets you set a timer for studying and a timer for a break, and if you stay focused, you grow virtual plants so this helps with motivation as it is visual plus it could be a great way to track how much time you’re spending on your revision. Studying in a quiet spot works well too if possible.

Sometimes, a quick mindfulness or meditation break can reset your focus. Trust me, it’s really helped me throughout uni, and it might make your study sessions more productive and less dragging. You can easily find short meditation videos on YouTube.

I hope this helps, good luck!
Paige- UoC Digital Mark
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by alistpick
Anyone has this problem where when you read something you completely forget that you were reading it to understand the content and instead start to think about some other stuff and it just keeps on happening whenever you revise? This happens all the time to me and it keeps on dragging my study time longer than I anticipated it to be.

Hey there! 😀

Firstly, I want to assure you that you are not alone. Many of us, including me, have experienced the frustration of getting lost in our thoughts while trying to focus on reading. It is excellent that you have recognised the problem as this is the first step to tackle it as well as reduce and maximise your study time.

The most basic and critical tactic is to gently bring your focus back to the text whenever you catch your mind wandering. In the beginning you might get discouraged once you see how often your thoughts get lost. However, here, practice and self-awareness are the key. Over time, you will notice that you catch yourself much more rarely than you used to.

You can also engage with the material actively to enhance your concentration. Try reading out loud or using a highlighter to mark key points while going through the text. This not only helps in maintaining focus but also reinforces the information encoding and remembering through different sensory channels.

Finally, break your reading sessions into smaller chunks. This can prevent getting distracted and make it easier to stay focused. Over time, you will be able to extend the sessions.

Remember, it will not happen over one night. Overcoming distractions is a gradual process, so stay patient with yourself!

You have got this 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending