The Student Room Group

Confused on how to word this centre of mass problem with steel beams

For the diagram:

I was given the question: "Explain why the centre of mass of the beam in the diagram must be vertically below A".
(see my reply for link to the image...)
my answer: both cables meet at A for which they are perpendicular to each other and the beam is in equilibrium and stationary. Hence centre mass is at A, as it's component of tension is directly above the weight of beam for which it's angle is 90 degrees from the horizontal
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by MonoAno555
For the diagram:

I was given the question: "Explain why the centre of mass of the beam in the diagram must be vertically below A".
(see my reply for link to the image...)
my answer: both cables meet at A for which they are perpendicular to each other and the beam is in equilibrium and stationary. Hence centre mass is at A, as it's component of tension is directly above the weight of beam for which it's angle is 90 degrees from the horizontal

https://postimg.cc/d74JdZVH
Reply 2
I dont think you need to mention the angle the two cables meet. It is however important that the beam is stationary and in equilibrium.
The beam can only be in equilibrium if the supporting force is on a line passing through the centre of mass.

Quick Reply

Latest