The Student Room Group

Physics question resultant force

Hi, please could i have help on this question? I am pretty sure my answer is correct, I’ve tried it multiple times and I can’t see where I’m going wrong(I’ve attached it below), but the answer for the resultant velocity is 110ms-1?
Here is the question: https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annotation/632339144992432128?codeId=vJ3d57lzZ1ykp&origin=imageurlgenerator
Here is my answer: https://app.gemoo.com/share/image-annotation/632339774632947712?codeId=PYl5QXLLE844K&origin=imageurlgenerator

Thanks!!
Your mistake lies in the horizontal components.
You subtract them together rather than adding them.
It helps to draw the arrows for the wind velocity:

in this diagram you can see that you need to plus 11.8 not subtract.
Original post by mosaurlodon
Your mistake lies in the horizontal components.
You subtract them together rather than adding them.
It helps to draw the arrows for the wind velocity:

in this diagram you can see that you need to plus 11.8 not subtract.
Thanks for your reply but i dont understand why i need to add 11.8? Don’t i need to subtract 11.8 from 95 to work out the resultant horizontal speed?
Reply 3
I got 109.8 (so yeah, 110) with a slightly different method to you. hopefully we’re both right.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by Lugg13
I got 109.8 (so yeah, 110) with a slightly different method to you. hopefully we’re both right.

110 was the right answer but i got 87? Please could you explain how you did it?
The plane has velocity to the left and the wind has velocity to the left as well so you would add them since they go the same direction

If the wind was going the opposite way then you would subtract like you said
Original post by mosaurlodon
The plane has velocity to the left and the wind has velocity to the left as well so you would add them since they go the same direction
If the wind was going the opposite way then you would subtract like you said

Omg thank you so much, I didn’t realise that but that makes a lot more sense now!!

Quick Reply

Latest