The Student Room Group

Acids/Bases A2 Chemistry

I am somehow finding it impossible to grasp this topic and do the questions that come up in exam papers. Any tips on how to go about them and how to revise the whole topic?

Thanksss.

:frown:
Reply 1
do u mean amino acids? they are acids and bases.
Reply 2
Just finished this topic in Chem. Summarize your notes so you can understand them if u just came along and read them. Try and think why something would happen and if there is something you don't understand write it down and ask your chemistry teacher when u seem him/her. If your talking about the K calculations, the best thing is to practice doing lots of them, maybe buy a A-level chem calculations book. Hope this helps.

Also seeing as most of this topic is based on Equilibria, maybe you should refresh the basics about that topic this might help you understand better.
golddust44
I am somehow finding it impossible to grasp this topic and do the questions that come up in exam papers. Any tips on how to go about them and how to revise the whole topic?

If its the calculations your stuck on i'd stronly recommend purchasing this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calculations-Level-Chemistry-Jim-Clark/dp/0582411270
I used it durin my A-level study and it was really helpfull for me as it explains each type of question the examiners could possibly throw at you step by step and there are loads of practice questions aswell :biggrin:
Hope that helped and good luck
couldn't resist.
Reply 5
Summarise the topic: Make sure you know the Ka / Kw / Kp/Kc expressions and how to work out ph (-log10 [H+] ) /buffers etc. Apparently there's not much theory - just being able to apply the equations is the main thing!
Reply 6
Rosh_123
Summarise the topic: Make sure you know the Ka / Kw / Kp/Kc expressions and how to work out ph (-log10 [H+] ) /buffers etc. Apparently there's not much theory - just being able to apply the equations is the main thing!

You have to understand equilibria and what effects it, they can give you questions about the theory when talking about the Kw value for example.
Reply 7
Depends what board you're doing I guess - Nuffield mainly has calculations.
Reply 8
Have you tried www.chemguide.co.uk?
Reply 9
Thanks for all the advice. I took that book out of my college library Zwitter Ion and it helped a whole bunch.

Latest