The Student Room Group

Maths foundation

I am in year 11 and is currently doing math fondation and was wondering if I can resit my maths GCSE to sit the higher paper. I am doing great in foundation. I asked my teacher to change tier and she thinks that it is too late and that I am better at foundation. I really want to do biology chemistry and law studies for my a levels as I have good grades in my sciences subjects, but I need to have at least a 6 in maths GCSE. Do you think that I can resit my Maths GCSE but this time higher instead of foundation next year while doing my a levels?
Reply 1
Original post by Chaennie
I am in year 11 and is currently doing math fondation and was wondering if I can resit my maths GCSE to sit the higher paper. I am doing great in foundation. I asked my teacher to change tier and she thinks that it is too late and that I am better at foundation. I really want to do biology chemistry and law studies for my a levels as I have good grades in my sciences subjects, but I need to have at least a 6 in maths GCSE. Do you think that I can resit my Maths GCSE but this time higher instead of foundation next year while doing my a levels?

You cant do a GCSE whilst doing a levels as chemistry in particular they will want a particular maths grade already to your name e.g my college needed me to have a 6 minimum in maths to do chemistry a level. You would need the grade already to apply for the course. Chemistry has lots of maths, I’m in A2 and the topics I’ve done e.g acids and bases have required some difficult maths. I got an A in gcse and still find it difficult so with this being said would chemistry be an appropriate a level choice if your teacher thinks the higher tier isn’t right for you? In biology as well there’s some complex maths. Your better just sticking with foundation and trying to get the top grade you can which I think is a..5 at foundation level. This would be better than doing higher and potentially getting lower than you would’ve on foundation. You can resit your gcse in the autumn but you would probably need to get an extraordinary score on the actual foundation gcse to convince your teacher to let you do the higher paper. Furthermore, if you did resit and did the higher paper if you get lower than you did on your original paper bare in mind you would be stuck with that new grade.
Reply 2
You can re-sit Maths in Year 12 but they're unlikely to let you on to a Biology or Chemistry A level course until you have achieved a grade 6 and the November exam results won't be out until January 2023, too late for you to join those A levels in that academic year..
Original post by Chaennie

Answer
In short, yes, it is possible to switch between the foundation and higher tiers. That said, there are several factors to take into consideration before making a decision; there is extra content to learn, and a harder paper to sit, increasing your workload.

This move needs to be done within a few months of year 10. Any later than that and the student is going to have too much to catch up on to be able to achieve in the exam.

Quick Reply

Latest