The Student Room Group

Hydrolysis

Hi,

Can i have some help on this A Level Chemistry question please. I really don't understand the answer. And what topic does this count as? I've attached the question and markscheme (from PMT). Thanks.
IMG_5334.jpeg
Identify the amide bond, break it to NH2 and COOH and redraw structure
Than consider the condition:
Remember NH2 is a base, so will accept H+ in acid condition
Remember COOH is a acid, so will form a salt under alkaline condition
Original post by Bodmonkon
Hi,

Can i have some help on this A Level Chemistry question please. I really don't understand the answer. And what topic does this count as? I've attached the question and markscheme (from PMT). Thanks.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 2
Hi,

From my understanding, hydrolysis means the amide bond is split, which forms two molecules. H+ is added to the molecule containing the nitrogenous part of the amide group to form the amine group and OH- to the other to form the carboxylic acid group. As the conditions are acidic, the amine will then react with the acid, forming an ammonium salt. The carboxylic acid doesn't change as it won't react with the acid. This leaves the products as an ammonium salt and a carboxylic acid, which is what is on the mark scheme.
I did OCR B Chemistry and I think this was in the Colour By Design unit, as part of organic reactions? I could be wrong about that, I was always confused about which unit was what exactly.
Reply 3
Original post by BankaiGintoki
IMG_5334.jpeg
Identify the amide bond, break it to NH2 and COOH and redraw structure
Than consider the condition:
Remember NH2 is a base, so will accept H+ in acid condition
Remember COOH is a acid, so will form a salt under alkaline condition

Thank you so much! I get it now
Reply 4
Original post by aarynmb
From my understanding, hydrolysis means the amide bond is split, which forms two molecules. H+ is added to the molecule containing the nitrogenous part of the amide group to form the amine group and OH- to the other to form the carboxylic acid group. As the conditions are acidic, the amine will then react with the acid, forming an ammonium salt. The carboxylic acid doesn't change as it won't react with the acid. This leaves the products as an ammonium salt and a carboxylic acid, which is what is on the mark scheme.
I did OCR B Chemistry and I think this was in the Colour By Design unit, as part of organic reactions? I could be wrong about that, I was always confused about which unit was what exactly.

Thanks for explaining! I understand everything now, but where does the OH- come from to form carboxylic acid? Cause wasn't it only in acidic conditions in the question?
Reply 5
Thanks for explaining! I understand everything now, but where does the OH- come from to form carboxylic acid? Cause wasn't it only in acidic conditions in the question?

Hydrolysis (1).jpg
Hydrolysis means water is involved to actually initiate the splitting of the bond (I think it can be other small molecules too, not important here, but just in case that gets mentioned in any of your future lessons) It's the opposite of a condensation reaction where a bond is formed and so is water, if you know about condensation reactions?

(the edit was just trying to get the attachment to work, apologies if it doesn't, I haven't attached pictures to posts before)
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi @Bodmonkon,

Thank you for posting!

I've moved your thread to the Chemistry Forum.

I've also updated the title of your thread to 'Hydrolysis' for better clarity. While you did receive responses, it's advisable to be more specific in your query.

Once again, thank you for posting and we hope to see more of your threads around the Chemistry Forum.

5hyl33n
Reply 7
Original post by aarynmb
Hydrolysis (1).jpg
Hydrolysis means water is involved to actually initiate the splitting of the bond (I think it can be other small molecules too, not important here, but just in case that gets mentioned in any of your future lessons) It's the opposite of a condensation reaction where a bond is formed and so is water, if you know about condensation reactions?

(the edit was just trying to get the attachment to work, apologies if it doesn't, I haven't attached pictures to posts before)

Thank u so much, I've got it now.

Quick Reply

Latest