The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Medicine Man
-2053 kj mol^-1 iirc :s-smilie:

That's what I got too. Hmm.
how many answers did you guys get for the fisrt question? I think there were 9 answers, but i got 11 somehow. Messed that bit up, bits of the serine question, and i gave a ph of 5 for the last question which is a tad too high i think. Prob lost a few marks here and there too. I just hope i can scrape that A. :s-smilie:

I thought it was pretty hard though. But nothing compared to physics today. S**t! Biology better be good tomorrow! :yep:
Reply 102
Medicine Man
how many answers did you guys get for the fisrt question? I think there were 9 answers, but i got 11 somehow. Messed that bit up, bits of the serine question, and i gave a ph of 5 for the last question which is a tad too high i think. Prob lost a few marks here and there too. I just hope i can scrape that A. :s-smilie:

I thought it was pretty hard though. But nothing compared to physics today. S**t! Biology better be good tomorrow! :yep:

I thought the paper was ok - I got 9 answers for the first organic bit.
Everyone at my college hated the bit on serine & just hated the paper in general.

Are you edexcel biology tomorrow?
yes edexcel biology - option A
what do you think the grade boundary for B and C will look like for this?
Reply 105
For q1 the the compounds that cannot be oxidised i chose the ketones as well as the carboxylic acids because they can't be further oxidised. Hope am not penalised for that :frown:
Reply 106
3 mks for the reactions of plc3 and pcl5 with water, i think they also wanted the state symbols, got the plc3 state wrong though as it's liquid and not solid.
its normally just one mark for the equation, and one mark for balancing; don't worry too much about the state symbols.

But i don't know why it wasn't 4 marks then? :s-smilie:
did anyone get a zwiterrion for one of the serine questions. I think I made a mistake and left it as

NH3+ ---------COO-

instead of:

NH3+ ---------COOH.

****! :s-smilie:
i.star
For q1 the the compounds that cannot be oxidised i chose the ketones as well as the carboxylic acids because they can't be further oxidised. Hope am not penalised for that :frown:

that was my mistake too - hence I got 11 answers instead of 9
Reply 110
Medicine Man
that was my mistake too - hence I got 11 answers instead of 9

Which was the correct answer? so ketones can be further oxidised but carboxylic acids can't?
Reply 111
Rhysy123
Which was the correct answer? so ketones can be further oxidised but carboxylic acids can't?

I thought neither of them could be.
Reply 112
bex2306
I thought neither of them could be.

So did I but only put the carboxylic acids by mistake.
Man this paper was weird. Probably got around 65-67/75. My guess is the grade boundary is going to be like 50/75 for an A. As it was 53/75 for an A in Jan 2008 and that paper was A LOT easier then this one. I don't know what edexcel is trying to proof this January all their papers have been A LOT harder than pervious years.
Rhysy123

no you're right, they can't be. I just wasn't being clear enough - i said (on my exam paper) that carboxylic acids react to give red ppt - thats where i went wrong. I thought that that test was for any C=O bond, but thats not the case when you have a carboxylic acid.
PeanutButterJellyTime
Man this paper was weird. Probably got around 65-67/75. My guess is the grade boundary is going to be like 50/75 for an A. As it was 53/75 for an A in Jan 2008 and that paper was A LOT easier then this one. I don't know what edexcel is trying to proof this January all their papers have been A LOT harder than pervious years.

really?
It can go that low?
That's 67% for an A!!
Reply 116
Rhysy123
So did I but only put the carboxylic acids by mistake.

i only put the carboxylic acids aswell...do they react with dichromate ions because i thought they didnt but a friends reckons they do :s-smilie:
kane28
i only put the carboxylic acids aswell...do they react with dichromate ions because i thought they didnt but a friends reckons they do :s-smilie:

They don't as they can't be oxidised any further. YOU ARE RIGHT :biggrin:
Medicine Man
really?
It can go that low?
That's 67% for an A!!

Yes Compare the two papers. Any You will see. :biggrin:. In Physics Last Year Unit 1 was 65% for an A. :biggrin:
bex2306
That's what I got too. Hmm.

IT RIGHT :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending