The Student Room Group
Reply 1
good day mate, crikey we bloody love those BTECS.
Reply 2
bump
Have you considered using the medium of email to ask them?
Reply 4
QuantumTheory
Have you considered using the medium of email to ask them?

Excuse me but 3/4 of questions could be replied to with a sarky comment like that. Not exactly helpful or useful.
SamTheMan
Excuse me but 3/4 of questions could be replied to with a sarky comment like that. Not exactly helpful or useful.

In a UK forum at 1 o'clock in the morning, it's unlikely there'll be anyone around with a knowledge of applying to an Oz university with a BTec.

It's the most useful thing he could do.
Reply 6
QuantumTheory
In a UK forum at 1 o'clock in the morning, it's unlikely there'll be anyone around with a knowledge of applying to an Oz university with a BTec.

This is a pretty good place to ask such a question before you go around sending e-mails to all the Australian universities...it is a place where you're likely to find people who have ever applied to Australian unis, studied at Australian unis, been on an exchange there or simply are Australian.
SamTheMan
This is a pretty good place to ask such a question before you go around sending e-mails to all the Australian universities...it is a place where you're likely to find people who have ever applied to Australian unis, studied at Australian unis, been on an exchange there or simply are Australian.

Well, something like this might have helped, but it seems incredibly subject dependant.
Did the OP do A levels?
What does he want to study?
What universities appeal to him?

TSR isn't here to replace admissions tutors, this is a really specific question, IMHO. Most people here don't even do BTecs, anyway.

Alas, I'm tired, I'll be less grumpy in the mornnig :h:
Reply 8
You see, you can be helpful :P I'm sure the OP will appreciate it.

I'm sure any qualifications would be recognised but it depends on how crap you're willing the university to be...
Reply 9
onlyoneknows

http://info.anu.edu.au/studyat/International_Office/getting_in/requirements click on "schedule of undergraduate entry requirements", I know this is a specific university, but it should give you an idea of the accepted qualifications.
EDIT: it appears that they are not accepted at this particular university(Australian National) however I do remember seeing them as being accepted by a australian university before, maybe one of the less prestigious universities such as university of queensland.
EDIT2: I didn't read the thread :h:
SamTheMan
I'm sure any qualifications would be recognised but it depends on how crap you're willing the university to be...

That comment is hardly useful either to be honest.
Captain Biggles
That comment is hardly useful either to be honest.

Well you're not going to get into ANU or Melbourne with a BTEC. That's a fact. You would indeed have to aim for the less prestigious (crap is not a nice word but I don't see how it's les shelpful) unis.
Reply 12
onlyoneknows
Would a BTEC Advanced Certificate be worth anything to an Australian University?

Some are (A-levels, degrees and possibly BTECs) If you only have a BTEC advanced certificate then it's unlikely to get you into Australian National, Melbourne, Sydney etc but I wouldn't completely rule it out.

It's really university dependent and I'd try contacting the unis you're interested in. If they have no idea what a BTEC is then that's possibly not a great sign :p:

I'm moving this to the International Study forum as you'll probably get a better answer there.
i'm with River85 on this. it's best you contact the uni that you'd like to apply to & ask about what pre-university qualifications they accept.

generally, as far as UK pre-university qualifications are concerned, the A-Levels is highly regarded amongst the Commonwealth countries.

Aussie unis themselves do accept A-Levels, as that's my qualification going into Monash Uni. however, i can't really comment on the BTEC Advanced Cert since we don't have that sort of program in Malaysia. international students are quite a huge source of income for the Aussie unis, so most do have experienced international student offices who'll be able to help you out on academic eligibility.

another route you could consider, which the unis might suggest to you anyway if a BTEC isn't enough, is that top unis like Melbourne & Monash have their own pre-university courses/colleges (Trinity College for Melbourne & Monash College for Monash) which pretty much lead to a spot in the respective unis following graduation, provided you don't flunk the whole program, of course. it's also a more direct/hassle free route, particularly for Melbourne, since they do have intake quotas for international student applications (but it's been a while since my undergrad days, so i'm not 100% sure if they still enforce the quota).
QuantumTheory

"www.thestudentroom.co.uk". :cool:

Latest

Trending

Trending