The Student Room Group

Can you become secondary teacher with a BA in criminology and sociology?

I'm in my second year now, and I'm thinking of my options after University and what I want to do so I'm just curious if this could be one of my options?
Reply 1
Yes, but you might need to do an additional subject knowledge course because there's not usually much space in a curriculum for a full-time sociology teacher, so you'd usually be expected to teach something else, too.
Reply 2
Original post by gjd800
Yes, but you might need to do an additional subject knowledge course because there's not usually much space in a curriculum for a full-time sociology teacher, so you'd usually be expected to teach something else, too.

I'm currently doing a joint honors in criminology and sociology I did also enjoy doing law at Alevels so maybe? Do you have to do an additional course to teach or is a BA enough?
Reply 3
Original post by Hannah055
I'm currently doing a joint honors in criminology and sociology I did also enjoy doing law at Alevels so maybe? Do you have to do an additional course to teach or is a BA enough?

A degree is enough, then you need to get QTS, lots do that via the PGCE route.
Reply 4
Original post by gjd800
A degree is enough, then you need to get QTS, lots do that via the PGCE route.

Thanks that was really helpful, and is a QTS preferred? or is it equivalent
to a PGCE?
Reply 5
Original post by Hannah055
Thanks that was really helpful, and is a QTS preferred? or is it equivalent
to a PGCE?

QTS allows you to teach in state-maintained schools and the PGCE is a separate, internationally-recognised qualification. You can get QTS without the PGCE but it is worthwhile having the PGCE too (and QTS is bundled in as part of PGCE training).
Reply 6
I see thank you that was very helpful :smile:

Original post by gjd800
QTS allows you to teach in state-maintained schools and the PGCE is a separate, internationally-recognised qualification. You can get QTS without the PGCE but it is worthwhile having the PGCE too (and QTS is bundled in as part of PGCE training).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending