The Student Room Group

Entropy

I working through some questions, and i have got stuck:

What is the relationship between the entropy change on vaporisation of a liquid and the entropy change in the surroundings at the boiling?
I am thinking they will be the same but with one negative, and one positive.

Also..:
When a solution of copper (II) sulphate cools, what determines whether it is water or copper(II) sulphate that crystallises out first?
Concentration of the solution?

Describe how you think the density of a copper (II) sulphate solution changes when:
a. copper(II) sulphate crystals form
b. ice crystals form

Thanx xx
VIcky _X
I working through some questions, and i have got stuck:

What is the relationship between the entropy change on vaporisation of a liquid and the entropy change in the surroundings at the boiling?
I am thinking they will be the same but with one negative, and one positive.

Thanx xx

In order for a process to occur the overall (universal) entropy change must be positive. When a liquid is boiled the entropy of the system increases as gas is formed, but the surroundings are providing heat and therefore losing entropy. Overall more entropy is gained than lost and the liquid can boil.

Also..:
When a solution of copper (II) sulphate cools, what determines whether it is water or copper(II) sulphate that crystallises out first?
Concentration of the solution?

Describe how you think the density of a copper (II) sulphate solution changes when:
a. copper(II) sulphate crystals form
b. ice crystals form

how can water crystallise?

Latest