The Student Room Group

Personal statement help for biological natural sciences

I am planning to do biological natural sciences but I am confused on how to write my personal statement. I have completed this course with MIT about cellular biology and done an EPQ on stem cells to treat MS. I have also read the book ' Why chemical reactions happen?' and I have been interested by the law of thermodynamics and how entropy can be applied to everyday life. I also did this conference event at imperial about this new machine called liquid trees to combat ar pollution. I also do extracurriculars as well. How could I formulate my a personal statement out of this though?
Original post by himdjkwndn234
I am planning to do biological natural sciences but I am confused on how to write my personal statement. I have completed this course with MIT about cellular biology and done an EPQ on stem cells to treat MS. I have also read the book ' Why chemical reactions happen?' and I have been interested by the law of thermodynamics and how entropy can be applied to everyday life. I also did this conference event at imperial about this new machine called liquid trees to combat ar pollution. I also do extracurriculars as well. How could I formulate my a personal statement out of this though?

Look at ucas personal statement builder as a start https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/writing-personal-statement/introducing-personal-statement-tool

it seems you have considered most of the questions in https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/writing-personal-statement/how-write-personal-statement

The most important thing is reflection. How did ‘why chemical reactions happen’ inspire you, can you give a specific example? How has reading the book prepared you for the course.
Reply 2

If it is for Oxbridge keep extra curriculars to a minimum.Needs to be mainly academic.Why biology ,what aspects and why.Work in your super curriculars to back these answers up.Couple of lines on extra curriculars only.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotney
If it is for Oxbridge keep extra curriculars to a minimum.Needs to be mainly academic.Why biology ,what aspects and why.Work in your super curriculars to back these answers up.Couple of lines on extra curriculars only.

You can get it checked by Tsr helpers once you are done.Look up personal Statements and you will find the link to use
Reply 4
Original post by Scotney
You can get it checked by Tsr helpers once you are done.Look up personal Statements and you will find the link to use

How long do they take to check each personal statement and is it free?
Reply 5
Original post by Scotney

Could I talk about achievements such as UKMT,BEBRAS, Erasmus etc ?
Reply 6
How long do they take to check each personal statement and is it free?

About 10 days and yes it is free.
Reply 7
Could I talk about achievements such as UKMT,BEBRAS, Erasmus etc ?

Yes but heart of statement must be about your interest in biology.

Writing a personal statement for biological natural sciences requires showcasing your passion, knowledge, and experiences related to the field. Here's a possible structure you can use:

Introduction:

Begin with a compelling opening that expresses your enthusiasm for biological natural sciences.

Highlight your academic background, mentioning the MIT course in cellular biology and your EPQ on stem cells for treating MS.

Academic Interest:

Discuss your interest in the theoretical aspects of biology, touching upon your readings of "Why Chemical Reactions Happen?" and your fascination with the laws of thermodynamics and entropy.

Explain how these interests have shaped your perspective on biological sciences and influenced your academic journey.

Extracurricular Involvement:

Discuss your participation in the Imperial conference event, showcasing your engagement with cutting-edge technology like the "liquid trees" to combat air pollution.

Highlight any specific role or contribution you made during the event and how it deepened your understanding of the practical applications of biological sciences.

Extracurricular Activities:

Briefly mention your relevant extracurricular activities, emphasizing how they have complemented your academic pursuits.

For example, if you have any leadership roles, teamwork experiences, or relevant skills gained from extracurriculars, briefly touch upon them.

Integration of Knowledge:

Demonstrate your ability to integrate knowledge from various fields. For instance, connect your interest in cellular biology and stem cells to the theoretical concepts you've explored in chemical reactions, thermodynamics, and entropy.

Show how your diverse academic interests contribute to a holistic understanding of biological natural sciences.

Future Goals:

Share your aspirations within the field of biological natural sciences. Discuss any specific areas you are eager to explore during your academic journey and beyond.

Connect your goals to the skills and knowledge you've gained, indicating how your unique background positions you for success in the program.

Conclusion:

Summarize your key points, reiterating your passion for biological natural sciences and your readiness for the challenges of the program.

End with a forward-looking statement, expressing your eagerness to contribute to and learn from the academic community.

[start]Remember to tailor your personal statement to the specific requirements of the programs you're applying to and ensure that your enthusiasm and unique experiences shine through.[/start]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending