The Student Room Group

Resistors

The switches S
1 are closed for a few seconds and then opened. The switches S2 are then closed.
a) A large value resistor is placed in each circuit between the lamp and S
2. The procedure described earlier is then repeated.State and explain what would be observed.
I think that the lamps in both circuits would be lit for less time because the resistor would reduce the current from the capacitor. Is this correct?
b)State and explain what would have been observed if the large value resistor had been connected between S
1 and the cell in each circuit.
I think there would be no difference but im not sure how to explain it . Any help?
Thanks
Reply 1
sonic23

a) A large value resistor is placed in each circuit between the lamp and S
2. The procedure described earlier is then repeated.State and explain what would be observed.
I think that the lamps in both circuits would be lit for less time because the resistor would reduce the current from the capacitor. Is this correct?

From what I know it would be the opposite, as the Time Constant (RC, Resistance * Capacitance) would be larger resulting in a longer discharge time.

The lamps wouldn't light as brightly, because not as much current would get through, but they would light for longer; the voltage decreases at a slower rate due to the increase in Resistance.

If you don't believe me have a fiddle about with this website chucking in different resistor values, and see what happens to the voltage levels at different times...http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/electric/capdis.html#c2
Reply 2
insane2642
From what I know it would be the opposite, as the Time Constant (RC, Resistance * Capacitance) would be larger resulting in a longer discharge time.

The lamps wouldn't light as brightly, because not as much current would get through, but they would light for longer; the voltage decreases at a slower rate due to the increase in Resistance.

If you don't believe me have a fiddle about with this website chucking in different resistor values, and see what happens to the voltage levels at different times...http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/electric/capdis.html#c2

Although this is not in my syllabus, your right.

Is there another way explaining this without mentioning the time constant?

Also, what would happen in part b?

thanks
Reply 3
sonic23

thanks

Part b The Capacitors would charge up slower due to the increase in resistance. Without any resistance a Capacitor would essenitally charge instantly, but with it it charges up at a slower rate.

What exam board are you on that teaches you about Capacitors but not any of the charging/discharging equations???
Reply 4
insane2642
Part b The Capacitors would charge up slower due to the increase in resistance. Without any resistance a Capacitor would essenitally charge instantly, but with it it charges up at a slower rate.

What exam board are you on that teaches you about Capacitors but not any of the charging/discharging equations???

Edexcel. I think we learn about in the the synoptic syllabus, with reference to analogies in physics.
Reply 5
Why would the voltage decrease at a slower rate because of an increased resistance?

Is there an equation to prove this?
Reply 6
sonic23

thanks

Are You taught C = Q/V?

If so then if you subsitute in Q = It, and V = IR then you end up with

C = t/R.

In other words for 1 Coulomb of charge to discharge from the Capacitor, when the circuit has a resistance of 4 Ohms it will take 4 seconds.

If the resistance then increases so will the time it take for the Capacitor to discharge that Coulomb.

I think :confused: !
Reply 7
sonic23
Why would the voltage decrease at a slower rate because of an increased resistance?

Is there an equation to prove this?

It all relates to the time constant. The equation for a discharging Capacitor is:

Vc = Vs e ^(-t/RC)

Where Vc is the Capacitor Voltage
Vs is the Supply Voltage
e is the mathematical constant e
t is the time taken
and RC is the time constant.

The higher RC the longer the Capacitor takes to discharge.
Reply 8
insane2642
Are You taught C = Q/V?

If so then if you subsitute in Q = It, and V = IR then you end up with

C = t/R.

In other words for 1 Coulomb of charge to discharge from the Capacitor, when the circuit has a resistance of 4 Ohms it will take 4 seconds.

If the resistance then increases so will the time it take for the Capacitor to discharge that Coulomb.

I think :confused: !

lol. I kind of get you but i dont see how this explains why a slower rate of decreasing voltage would keep the light bulb lit for linger?
Reply 9
insane2642
It all relates to the time constant. The equation for a discharging Capacitor is:

Vc = Vs e ^(-t/RC)

Where Vc is the Capacitor Voltage
Vs is the Supply Voltage
e is the mathematical constant e
t is the time taken
and RC is the time constant.

The higher RC the longer the Capacitor takes to discharge.

Ok Thanks. So could you please check through my final answers:
a)
"The lamps wouldn't light as brightly but would be lit for a longer duration; the resistor will increased the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge"

b)
"The capacitor would charge up at a slower rate, so it will gain less charge and so the light bulb will be lit for less time."
With the voltage slowly decreasing the current will also slowly decrease, with the current slowly decreasing the amount of charge getting to the bulb will slowly decrease.

Since it will slowly decrease, to fully discharge the capacitor will take longer, meaning the bulb will get the same charge over a longer time, resulting in it staying on for longer.

But as the amount of charge it recieves, per unit time, is smaller it will be dimmer, but stay on for longer.
sonic23
Ok Thanks. So could you please check through my final answers:
a)
"The lamps wouldn't light as brightly but would be lit for a longer duration; the resistor will increased the time it takes for the capacitor to discharge"

b)
"The capacitor would charge up at a slower rate, so it will gain less charge and so the light bulb will be lit for less time."

That seems right to me.
Reply 12
insane2642
That seems right to me.

Thanks for all your help.
:yes:
Reply 13
insane2642
That seems right to me.

I know this an old post but i was looking at the paper again and, for part b, i said before that the capacitor would gain less charge if a resistor is connected between s1 and the cell.

Is this not incorrect?

Latest