The Student Room Group
Reply 1
One of my friends stammers quite a bit but at Uni no-one a kid anymore, people generally won't taunt you or make fun of you like they might do when your in primary (and maybe even secondary) school.
Reply 2
Hi, there - I'm blocker too.

I'm about to enter 3rd year and I won't lie - some of the more ignorant people may stare or even laugh. In my experience, my friends simply don't care. The more practise you get interviewing, the more automatic it will become and you WILL stammer less.

Since I get DSA, they offered in my interview that I could replace any oral examination with essays instead - I opted not to. I don't think you could do this as interviews etc...
Oooh me! I have a stutter/stammer and am starting University in October. Although my stutter isn't as bad as it used to be, i'm still very self-conscious about the whole thing. For some reason, I'm perfectly fine public speaking (I do still stutter, but after stuttering my whole life I've kind of found ways around it...) but it's reading aloud that gets me.:frown:

cheers

GJ
Reply 4
(flowerfairy)
Oh my god I didnt think anyone would post something about this. i'm a stammerer and just starting my first year in uni in sept. i'm actually really nervous about the whole thing, like in lectures and stuff having to make presentations and all that.

It also makes meeting people way harder so I really dont know how i'm going to manage, just have to hope I get some good flatmates etc.

I needed to represent the miniority! I just think we have to go and be as confident as possible. If they can't tolerate us or can't be bothered just because of our speech difficulities then they aren't worth making friends with. Yes, they will probably feel uncomfortable but they have to learn to overlook that which happen with time, I'm sure.
Reply 5
Has anyone gone down the speech therapy route?
Reply 6
(flowerfairy)
Yeah I used to have it when I was younger and again a year or so ago. But in my experience it never really helped my speech (i block too by the way). Actually, My speech got increasingly worse as i grew up, probably to do with teenage anxieties etc and having therapy just seemed to draw attention to it so i quit.

It's getting better at the moment but tends to flare up again in difficult situations and meeting strangers etc which is why I'm kinda nervous to start uni

I too had speech therapy but stopped ages ago. I think when I had it, it helped me speak perfectly when I was at the session but then it went back to what it was the day afterward. I want to go back when I start my course because of me having to interview people- just so I can get reassurance!

I'll tell you something. I had an interview this week for a job and it was in front of a panel of three people I'd never met before... you can guess what happened, right? I stammered soo much, I thought it went really badly and thought that I wouldn't get it (as per usual I got upset- I've got to get over that!). BUT, I did and I'm quite pleased.

Anyway, I was wondering can I ask how you tackle your blocks? Do you try and make it less uncomfortable for the person your speaking to?
Oh, and on a side note, what are you studying at Uni?

:smile:
Reply 7
I open my mouth and blink when blocking. I've be advised to put my hand over my mouth just to make it less uncomfortable for the speaker. I might try doing that. I don't substitute that much anymore. I agree, though with the therapy- EYE CONTACT!!!!!!! Its like your staring the other person out and your constantly being reminded of it. Its really annoying.

Good luck with the course! I need BBC to get in, not looking forward to results!
Reply 8
Eye contact is both horrible and great. I find myself drawn to doing it - I just continually feel like I'm staring at people. When I continue eye-contact, I feel I stammer less though.

For all those who are going to University with a stammer, please PLEASE don't worry. I found that when I met new people they either didn't care or if they did, they just hadn't seen it before. There are a few not-so-nice people who stare/laugh/whatever, but they are in the minority and for the most part everyone is very accepting. For instance, when I had to go round my halls for the first time introducing myself, that felt horrible but as I met each new person and spent an age stammering out my name - I realised they didn't care and this made my life so much easier; for I felt I was "me", not the-girl-with-a-stammer (at University, I've become a lot less withdrawn and it's a great experience). Stammering now just happens, and I feel neutral about it, not constantly worried like I used to at school.

Please don't worry - it'll all come out fine. Please go and meet as many new people as you can; there's no reason not to and you might make some good friends along the way.
Reply 9
I agree with you here, Luser. To be honest, I'm not worried about it too much. I don't just come with a stammer but CP too (Ha! A little package!) so people need to learn to get over that hurdle as well as my speech but they will, of course!

All Freshers are in the same boat with the nervousness about meeting new people and making friends but we've just got to go for it!

By the way, good advice about the blocking. I'll take that on board.

Latest