The Student Room Group

can you be discriminated if you're quiet?

Everyone in my company all have bubbly personalities.

I'm the only quiet person on my team. I've been seen as not being a team player and rude. This is not me, I've had positive comments from from my colleagues/old +new, friends and family that I am a nice and kind person.

I've always shown respect to people.

I feel like I'm being picked on a lot by management because I'm quiet and shy... I work hard to meet goals, but whatever I do, is never right.

I'm being treated unfairly too. I've also noticed that I get given the boring tasks which no one wants to do while everyone else who all have bigger personalities all get the better work.

I've tried to change who I am as I didn't like myself.

But I'm trying to accept that I can't change, I'm proud of who I am. We're all different.

can you be discriminated for being quiet?
Reply 1
It’s pretty common for people to be encouraged to be outgoing and sociable at work. I have been encouraged to ‘be more lighthearted’ and to ‘network more’ to get on. This said, diversity is also valued in a decent workplace and you don’t want everyone to be an extravert.

You sound pretty unhappy at work and of course you should be treated fairly. Bear in mind it’s unlikely management will say it’s all about you being quiet. Is there anyone that you could confide and get some advice, a friend, a trusted colleague or union rep. Then speaking to your boss about how you’re feeling is typically the best starting point. Beyond that you could speak to HR about the grievance process, there might be a way forward with that although of course it’s tricky. If all else fails it can be best to look for a different role or even different job where you feel you will be happier.
Reply 2
Yes, in jobs like consulting, 'people skills' are the #1 predictor of success.
If you are the odd one out then the industry just isn't suited for your personality type. You would never see a person who stammers working at a call centre.
There are plenty of jobs for quiet people e.g. finance, medicine where communication skills are still required but don't require you to be a hyper-friendly person.
You can't change how others behave, you generally can't change who you are. The easiest thing to change is where to be.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending