The Student Room Group

Electromagnetic induction.....

When an aircraft flies from east to west, its wings are an electrical conductor cutting the earth's Magnetic flux. In the Northern Hemisphere, whish wingtip will be positively charged? Why will this wingtip be negatively charged in the Southern Hemisphere?

Answer: Left wingtip positive. It is -ve in the southern hemisphere because the field direction is reversed.

I don't know how to answer the question, and I'm having serious problem picturing this........ Someone PLEASE help ME!!!! :frown: :frown:
Reply 1
ok, well the magnetic field lines go from the north pole to the south pole so in the northern hemisphere the field will be going up, in the southern hemisphere it'll be going down, you then just use the right hand rule (right because you're inducing a current - I was taught to remember it as geneRIGHTer! :redface:) and the fact it's going east to west. The current flows from positive to negative so the left wingtip is + in the northern hemisphere, right wingtip + in southern
Reply 2
Bezza
ok, well the magnetic field lines go from the north pole to the south pole so in the northern hemisphere the field will be going up, in the southern hemisphere it'll be going down, you then just use the right hand rule (right because you're inducing a current - I was taught to remember it as geneRIGHTer! :redface:) and the fact it's going east to west. The current flows from positive to negative so the left wingtip is + in the northern hemisphere, right wingtip + in southern

but the eraths magnetic field is opposite ,it goes from south to nort :confused:
s
Reply 3
habosh
but the eraths magnetic field is opposite ,it goes from south to nort :confused:
s

oh yeah, looks like I was on top form last night! :rolleyes: In that case I'm a bit confused because it should be the other way round surely :confused: This isn't good - I thought that my first year degree EM and circuits exam was one of my best papers!
Reply 4
Bezza
oh yeah, looks like I was on top form last night! :rolleyes: In that case I'm a bit confused because it should be the other way round surely :confused: This isn't good - I thought that my first year degree EM and circuits exam was one of my best papers!

yeah I just did it using the left hand rule and the left should be negative...also the magnetic field direction wont change at the bottom of the earth or at the southhamsphere or whatever it is called so why on earth the polarity will reverse :confused:
Reply 5
habosh
yeah I just did it using the left hand rule and the left should be negative...also the magnetic field direction wont change at the bottom of the earth or at the southhamsphere or whatever it is called so why on earth the polarity will reverse :confused:

In the southern hemisphere the vertical component of the magnetic field will be going upwards, whereas in the northern hemisphere it will be going down, so the field direction changes direction and so does the polarity
Reply 6
Bezza
In the southern hemisphere the vertical component of the magnetic field will be going upwards, whereas in the northern hemisphere it will be going down, so the field direction changes direction and so does the polarity

how isn't the field directed from sounth to north how will it change??!!! :confused: I'm sorry but I still dont get it :redface: :confused: :redface: : :frown: :bawling:
Reply 7
habosh
how isn't the field directed from sounth to north how will it change??!!! :confused: I'm sorry but I still dont get it :redface: :confused: :redface: : :frown: :bawling:

the earth's magnetic field lines don't go in circles so there's a vertical component of the field ie away from or towards the surface. In the northern hemisphere it's towards, in the southern hemisphere it's away from. The field looks like http://www.scifun.ed.ac.uk/card/images/left/earth-magfield.jpg
Reply 8
W@t3R
When an aircraft flies from east to west, its wings are an electrical conductor cutting the earth's Magnetic flux. In the Northern Hemisphere, whish wingtip will be positively charged? Why will this wingtip be negatively charged in the Southern Hemisphere?

Answer: Left wingtip positive. It is -ve in the southern hemisphere because the field direction is reversed.

I don't know how to answer the question, and I'm having serious problem picturing this........ Someone PLEASE help ME!!!! :frown: :frown:

is this question from a past paper of from some book, cos normally u would expect a paper to have better questions where it was easier to understand and visualise what its asking ?
Reply 9
Bezza
the earth's magnetic field lines don't go in circles so there's a vertical component of the field ie away from or towards the surface. In the northern hemisphere it's towards, in the southern hemisphere it's away from. The field looks like http://www.scifun.ed.ac.uk/card/images/left/earth-magfield.jpg

just thank you thank you thank you,lol I drew already the picture but lol in the northern hemisphere I did the most hideous mistake and imagined that the sky is upwords towards the earth,lol that is so embaressing ,I was able to solve the questions but wasn't able to remember the other dumbthing :redface: :redface:

Latest