The Student Room Group
Reply 1
As he walks towards end A, the upwards force at Q decreases until it reaches zero (which will be after he's passed B). At this point he's balancing just on point B, so if he carries on going, end E will start moving upwards. This is because his weight will provide an anti-clockwise moment about B, and the weight of the plank provides a clockwise moment. When Q=0 these will be equal and opposite so it balances. As he goes further to the left, the moment of his weight will increase so Q would need to act downwards to cancel it which isn't possible so there's a net anti-clockwise moment about B and the plank will rotate in that direction
Reply 2
Bezza
As he walks towards end A, the upwards force at Q decreases until it reaches zero (which will be after he's passed B). At this point he's balancing just on point B, so if he carries on going, end E will start moving upwards. This is because his weight will provide an anti-clockwise moment about B, and the weight of the plank provides a clockwise moment. When Q=0 these will be equal and opposite so it balances. As he goes further to the left, the moment of his weight will increase so Q would need to act downwards to cancel it which isn't possible so there's a net anti-clockwise moment about B and the plank will rotate in that direction

so wots the distance from a tht q becomes 0? thts the part of the question tht i dont get thnx for the reply
Reply 3
oh right - sorry! If you take moments about A, then you get 760*l = 220*1.25 because Q=0 and P is acting through B so l = 220*1.25/760 = 0.362m (3sf)
Reply 4
Bezza
oh right - sorry! If you take moments about A, then you get 760*l = 220*1.25 because Q=0 and P is acting through B so l = 220*1.25/760 = 0.362m (3sf)

thnx a lot,much appreciated
Reply 5
Why wouldn't it be moment of the plank about B giving:

220N x (220/2 -0.6) = 760*l

Then the value l is equal to the distance from B moving left, so the distance from A is 0.6m minus this?

.........if anybody understands what I mean...........?
Reply 6
corkskrew
Why wouldn't it be moment of the plank about B giving:

220N x (220/2 -0.6) = 760*l

Then the value l is equal to the distance from B moving left, so the distance from A is 0.6m minus this?

.........if anybody understands what I mean...........?

oops, yeah you're right - i was going a bit crazy obviously - I'd been revising all day and had just come back from the pub :rolleyes:

I meant take moments about B so then you'd get 760*(0.6-l) = 220(1.25-0.6) so you get l=0.412. Sorry for being so rubbish last night!

Latest