The Student Room Group

Help! Hydrogen peroxide volume / concentration

I am writing up my A2 Chemistry Investigation for OCR Salters. I was given hydrogen peroxide labelled with 5 vol. The thing is I need to work out the concentration of hydrogen peroxide I used in the reaction mixture of an experiment I am doing. I've been told that 1 volume is approximately 0.1 mol dm^-3. Is this correct? If it is then I can just say that my stock solution of hydrogen peroxide is 0.5 mol dm^-3.

Sorry but I don't understand why hydrogen perxide was given to me in "vol" and I don't know anything about volume. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
no. of moles=volume X concentration, sorry that's all i can say, only do AS chem
justascribble
I am writing up my A2 Chemistry Investigation for OCR Salters. I was given hydrogen peroxide labelled with 5 vol. The thing is I need to work out the concentration of hydrogen peroxide I used in the reaction mixture of an experiment I am doing. I've been told that 1 volume is approximately 0.1 mol dm^-3. Is this correct? If it is then I can just say that my stock solution of hydrogen peroxide is 0.5 mol dm^-3.

Sorry but I don't understand why hydrogen perxide was given to me in "vol" and I don't know anything about volume. Any help would be appreciated.

The vol measure used in hydrogen peroxide refers to the volume of oxygen that it produces per volume of hydrogen peroxide used up at room temperature.

So, if you consider the equation:

2H2O2 --> 2H2O + O2

You can see that 2 moles of hydrogen peroxide produces 1 mole of oxygen, i.e. the number of moles of oxygen produced is half that of hydrogen peroxide used up.

If your hydrogen peroxide solution is 100 vol (quite reasonable for a strong stock solution) this means that 1000 cm3 of the H2O2 produces 100,000 cm3 of oxygen.

100 dm3 of oxygen = 100/24 moles = 4.17 moles

If 4.17 moles of oxygen are produced then there must have been 4.17 x 2 moles of hydrogen peroxide = 8.34 moles in 1 dm3 = 8.34 molar.

so if 100 vol is 8.34 molar then 1 vol = 0.0834 molar etc.
Reply 3
Thanks for replying.

I am not investigating the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide. I am doing an iodine clock reaction.

H2O2(aq) + 2I-(aq) + 2H+(aq) --> I2(aq) + 2H2O(l)

Therefore I need to know what concentration 5 vol of hydrogen peroxide is in mol dm-3.

You told me that 1 vol = 0.0834 molar so is 5 vol = 0.417 molar? Do you think that's right? I suppose an approximate value could just do.
Reply 4
Original post by charco
The vol measure used in hydrogen peroxide refers to the volume of oxygen that it produces per volume of hydrogen peroxide used up at room temperature.

So, if you consider the equation:

2H2O2 --> 2H2O + O2

You can see that 2 moles of hydrogen peroxide produces 1 mole of oxygen, i.e. the number of moles of oxygen produced is half that of hydrogen peroxide used up.

If your hydrogen peroxide solution is 100 vol (quite reasonable for a strong stock solution) this means that 1000 cm3 of the H2O2 produces 100,000 cm3 of oxygen.

100 dm3 of oxygen = 100/24 moles = 4.17 moles

If 4.17 moles of oxygen are produced then there must have been 4.17 x 2 moles of hydrogen peroxide = 8.34 moles in 1 dm3 = 8.34 molar.

so if 100 vol is 8.34 molar then 1 vol = 0.0834 molar etc.

when you say 1dm3 of H2O2 is 8.34 molar, and 1 vol = 0.0834 molar, is this the concentration you are talking about?
Reply 5
H2O2 ---> H2O 0.5O2No. of moles of O2= 2 x No. of moles of H2O2 = 2 x 0.000125 =0.00025 molHow about concentration in volume strength of hydrogen peroxide? Do I do this : Concentration in volume strength of H2O2 = Molar volume of O2 (24 dm^3 mol^-1) x No. of moles of O2 (0.00025 mol) ???I'm really confused and I'm only doing AS Chemistry.

Quick Reply

Latest