The Student Room Group

Acylation and ammonia/primary amines

Hi

I am reading about acylation and something struck me as odd:

"The following nucleophiles all react with acid chlorides and acid anhydrides. They are listed in order of reactivity:

ammonia > primary amines > alcohols > water"

Why is ammonia listed as more reactive than primary amines? Surely ammonia is a worse nucleophile because the primary amines have alkyl groups which release electrons nearer the nitrogen, increasing the d- charge?

Could anyone clear this up and explain why this is written?

Many thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by l4ith

Original post by l4ith
Hi

I am reading about acylation and something struck me as odd:

"The following nucleophiles all react with acid chlorides and acid anhydrides. They are listed in order of reactivity:

ammonia > primary amines > alcohols > water"

Why is ammonia listed as more reactive than primary amines? Surely ammonia is a worse nucleophile because the primary amines have alkyl groups which release electrons nearer the nitrogen, increasing the d- charge?

Could anyone clear this up and explain why this is written?

Many thanks :smile:

Hey dude how the application process going? When does the cambridge offer arrive? :h:

Anyways, in answer to your question: Ammonia is a primary amine with an R group of H, and as you said other primary amines have akyl R groups. I'm not 100% sure but i would assume that as Hydrogen is less electronegative than Carbon, nitrogen has a greater d- when ammonia than with any other primary amine.
Ammonia is smaller, which makes it a better nucleophile - sterics as well as electronics need to be considered :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by EierVonSatan
Ammonia is smaller, which makes it a better nucleophile - sterics as well as electronics need to be considered :smile:

Ahh thanks so much! I thought it might be due to stearic hindrance because I remembered the thing about tertiary haloalkanes not undergoing substitution as well as primary ones... thank you so much!
Reply 4
later on in the book it says that primary amines are better bases. How can ammonia be a better nucleophile and the primary amine a better base?
Reply 5
Original post by moonie9995
later on in the book it says that primary amines are better bases. How can ammonia be a better nucleophile and the primary amine a better base?

As sterics are not relevant here - the nitrogen only needs to get up to an H+ which is tiny, therefore it is only about the electron donating properties of the alkyl group making the lone pair more available in the primary amine.
Reply 6
Original post by clownfish
As sterics are not relevant here - the nitrogen only needs to get up to an H+ which is tiny, therefore it is only about the electron donating properties of the alkyl group making the lone pair more available in the primary amine.

Thanks!
Reply 7
Sorry for raising the dead here, but chemguide.co.uk states:

You can think of the primary amine as a slightly modified ammonia molecule. It has a lone pair on the nitrogen atom and an even bigger delta- charge than in ammonia.

That means that the primary amine is going to be a better nucleophile than ammonia is. You can therefore get a reaction between it and a molecule of the halogenoalkane.

I'd trust Jim Clark with my life (and am currently trusting him with my chances of getting an A* in Chemistry), and my teachers also agree with him on this. I've heard a lot of conflicting information about which is the better nucleophile, so what the hell am I supposed to write down if they ask about it in six days? Is ammonia being listed as a better nucleophile a mistake in the textbook or is this what AQA actually believe?

edit: the reason given for primary amines being better nucleophiles is the +ve inductive effect
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest