The Student Room Group
Reply 1
China: One party state, limited suffrage, authoritarian, army an official part of government. Head of state is a president. Chief legislative body is the State Council.

UK: Multipartisan parliamentary democracy. Universal suffrage from age 18, extensive civil liberties. Chief legislative body is the House of Commons. Head of state is a constitutional monarch.
Reply 2
China: Authoritarian, One party with inter flawed democracy, head of state is the prime minister but essentially there are 9 secretaries that control everything
UK: Slightly less authoritarian, multiple parties with a parlimentary democracy with councils to federalism, Prime minister, ministers, MP's, constituents and members.
Reply 3
They are exactly the same but one pretends to be a democracy:angry:
China: Flawed

UK: Near perfect

England: Perfect.
Original post by Snagprophet
China: Flawed

UK: Near perfect

England: Perfect.

:facepalm:
Reply 6
Original post by prog2djent
China: Authoritarian, One party with inter flawed democracy, head of state is the prime minister but essentially there are 9 secretaries that control everything
UK: Slightly less authoritarian, multiple parties with a parlimentary democracy with councils to federalism, Prime minister, ministers, MP's, constituents and members.

Ever had a column of fifteen tanks roll down the street past you when you're trying to find a bar on a Sunday evening? I have in Beijing, but as yet not happened in London. We are not authoritarian by most stretches of the imagination.

Hu Jintao is the head of state but he's not the PM, that's Wen Jiabao.
Reply 7
Original post by SEHughes
Ever had a column of fifteen tanks roll down the street past you when you're trying to find a bar on a Sunday evening? I have in Beijing, but as yet not happened in London. We are not authoritarian by most stretches of the imagination.

Hu Jintao is the head of state but he's not the PM, that's Wen Jiabao.

Notice how I said we are a less authoritarian country, or have a less authiratrian government. Maybe I should have spelled it out, we are less authoritarian than china, and the world average, but we aren't as libertarian as nations that are as advanced as ours, namely Scandanavia, Holland, Canada.

wenqW.gif

5JQcQ.gif
Reply 8
'Communist' China are more free market and spend less money as a % of GDP funding their state than us.

Look at their attitude towards copyright and international patents for example, they couldn't give a toss! And this is why their economy continues to grow while the West ties itself up in rent seeking and banksterism. In terms of allowing businesses to compete with one another without the protection of the nanny state we really do have a thing or two to learn from the Chinese.
Reply 9
Over a third of Chinese enterprise assets are state-owned, and they account for 40% of GDP. It's not cut-and-dry to be sure, but there is certainly more government intervention in the Chinese economy than here in Blighty.

In any case, the question was not so much about economic policy as their political structure.

Latest

Trending

Trending