The Student Room Group

Will I qualify for home admissions purposes at LSE

??
(edited 2 months ago)
There’s no difference between how applications are processed based on domicile only on fee status.

Home domiciled applicants aren’t privileged by LSE.
Reply 2
Just 'living here' doesnt automatically give you Home fee status, and if you are deemed to be International fee status, residency here dosent give you any extra advantage in the admissions process - at any Uni.
Are you comparing the acceptance rates or offer rates?

I would fully expect the acceptance rates for overseas students to be lower. Lots of issues with regards to funding, visas and alternatives in their home countries.
Original post by Vkk1
What causes the difference in acceptance rate between British and non-British students as a result of it not depending on domicile? On the website, they say they don't consider nationality or ethnicity

Weaker applications from non-British applicants. Not the right qualifications, not the right subjects, poor or unfocused PSs and not meeting the very high English language requirements for entry.

Where I work we regularly get applications from applicants without level 3 qualifications from outside the UK even though our entry requirements are very clear. Likewise we make offers to applicants who do meet our criteria based on them meeting our English language requirements and a very large number fail (or simply stop responding when they realise they don’t have the funds to pay fees and living costs).
Original post by Vkk1
No offer rate

In that case you might want to edit your first post.

Where are you getting those figures from?
Original post by Vkk1
LSE public tableau (they data given is not exact but is roughly it

LSE took 786 students from China at undergraduate level. They have about 1800 places so it seems that chinese students get well accepted there. Almost 1/2 the intake is Chinese students

In 2022, LSE welcomed 2,242 students from China, 786 at undergraduate level and 1,456 at graduate level.

In 2023, we received around 26,000 applications for 1,800 places. This fierce competition for places means that meeting or exceeding the entry requirements does not guarantee that an offer will be made, and every year we unfortunately have to disappoint many well-qualified applicants.
Original post by swanseajack1
LSE took 786 students from China at undergraduate level. They have about 1800 places so it seems that chinese students get well accepted there. Almost 1/2 the intake is Chinese students

In 2022, LSE welcomed 2,242 students from China, 786 at undergraduate level and 1,456 at graduate level.

In 2023, we received around 26,000 applications for 1,800 places. This fierce competition for places means that meeting or exceeding the entry requirements does not guarantee that an offer will be made, and every year we unfortunately have to disappoint many well-qualified applicants.

In 2022, LSE welcomed 731 students from India, 157 at undergraduate level and 574 at graduate level.

Well over 1/2 the undergraduate intake at LSE is from China or India.
Original post by Vkk1
For the course I'm applying to, the offer rate for Chinese Students was 6.8% (15/219) and for British students, 29% (57/198)

I'm only speaking about undergraduates in this case as for postgraduates, there are many other factors, particularly visa's etc

Secondly, even though well over 1/2 (at UG it's 2730/5818 = 47%) of the applicants are from these countries, the offer rate is only a fraction of the offer rate for British students (due to the sheer number of applicants from these countries)

My question in the end is, what's the reason behind the large difference in offer rate?
If it's not nationality, is it domicile or quotas etc.
It can't just be the quality of the application as they will reject applicants from China etc that have stronger applications than british students (perhaps this is debatable, but when I lived abroad applicants with perfect stats, EC's, PS etc were rejected and the only reason possible was being international)
If it is that they are international, what is that based of - where you live or where your from or what as I live in the UK but am not from here and want to know if I qualify as international or not

As @PQ who works in admissions has told you many of the applicants apply without level 3 qualifications. You also in many cases have students applying without the required subject qualifications. For example Uk students have to have Maths and sometimes Further Maths. There was a thread the other day where an applicant didnt have this. The fact that over 1/2 get in from 2 overseas countries speak for itself. More from there than the UK and all other countries together.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending