The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F215 Control, Genomes and Environment Fri 15 June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fatima0065
explain what is meant by gene therapy

it is a therapeutic treatment where an allele that causes the disease is replaced with another allele that cures the ill/disease
This module is so hard :/ Can someone explain to me in depth what germline therapy and somatic therapy is? I slightly get the somatic but not the germline. And also the DNA probing and stuff is really confusing I need a lot of help :/ Please try not to explain from the textbook because I don't get it reading it from their so as much in your own words please.
Reply 3862
I hate f215 with a passion :frown:
Original post by rf229
Does anyone know of any websites with practice questions? (not the ocr past papers)

http://www.freeexampapers.com/past_papers.php?l=Past_Papers%2FA+Level%2FBiology%2FOCR/

ignore, forgot to read (not the ocr past papers)
Reply 3864
Can someone help in where they got the answers on the mark scheme
It is question 2b(ii) on June 2010 paper
Thank you
What si conservation adn why is it bbeter than perservation..What are the advantages and dsiadvanatges to conservatinon
thanks!! :d

hi :wink: sure ok lets start

State 3 differences between PCR and DNA replication (3)
Original post by otrivine
hi :wink: sure ok lets start

State 3 differences between PCR and DNA replication (3)

PCR requires dna polymerase, a primer etc
only forms one new strand

Dna replicatio:semi-conservative..2 new starnds are formed..RNA polymerase is used..i think ...hm not sure
describe on example of primamry succession resultin in a climax community
What si conservation adn why is it bbeter than perservation..What are the advantages and dsiadvanatges to conservatinon

conservation = is to maintain biodiversity and help to look after species in a (habitat/area) and it is better than preservation as they are looked after in their own environment
advatages- no hunting , no toursts throwing litters on the floor, maintains biodiversity, can be used for education to teach people, animals are taken care and looked after so reduces susceptiability to diseases and are well supplied with food.

disadvantages= expensive, inbreeding , competition for food are resources with other species
conservation = is to maintain biodiversity and help to look after species in a (habitat/area) and it is better than preservation as they are looked after in their own environment
advatages- no hunting , no toursts throwing litters on the floor, maintains biodiversity, can be used for education to teach people, animals are taken care and looked after so reduces susceptiability to diseases and are well supplied with food.

Disadvantages= expensive, inbreeding , competition for food are resources with other species

correct :biggrin:
PCR requires dna polymerase, a primer etc
only forms one new strand

Dna replicatio:semi-conservative..2 new starnds are formed..RNA polymerase is used..i think ...hm not sure

yep good 3/3
yep good 3/3

IS IT REALLY? I THOUGHT I WOULD GET IT WRONG..HAVENT COME ACROSS DIFERENCES... and is rna polymerase used in dna replication? :/
describe on example of primamry succession resultin in a climax community

an example is where the plants grow near the beach but in the sand dunes and they can resist water spray, nutrients and so they keep spreading to larger sand done and provides stability.
one question for this do we need to learn all the plant names???
an example is where the plants grow near the beach but in the sand dunes and they can resist water spray, nutrients and so they keep spreading to larger sand done and provides stability.
one question for this do we need to learn all the plant names???

Nope..you have to say this
-uncolonised area
pioneer community grows
larger plants succed smaller ones
until a climax community is reached :smile:
IS IT REALLY? I THOUGHT I WOULD GET IT WRONG..HAVENT COME ACROSS DIFERENCES... and is rna polymerase used in dna replication? :/

no rna polymerase is not used for dna replication , dna replication uses enzyme DNA POLymerase remember dont make that mistake :wink:

yes you do get 3 marks cause the marks are
1) primers are added so reaction can proceed
2) heating and cooling for strands to separate and anneal
3) replicates only dna sequence not entire chromosome

but you got the marks for the DNA
no rna polymerase is not used for dna replication , dna replication uses enzyme DNA POLymerase remember dont make that mistake :wink:

yes you do get 3 marks cause the marks are
1) primers are added so reaction can proceed
2) heating and cooling for strands to separate and anneal
3) replicates only dna sequence not entire chromosome

but you got the marks for the DNA

okai thanks..as me another one :smile:
okai thanks..as me another one :smile:

ok
What is the advantage for conjugation (2)
ok
What is the advantage for conjugation (2)

Congujagation allows bacteria to exhange DNA whic causes them to spread advantageous alle quicker, and hence become resistant tocertian antibiotics etc :smile:
describe the role of the brain and nervous system in the co-ordination of muscular movement;
Congujagation allows bacteria to exhange DNA whic causes them to spread advantageous alle quicker, and hence become resistant tocertian antibiotics etc :smile:
describe the role of the brain and nervous system in the co-ordination of muscular movement;

yes but you forgot the key word plasmid its the plasmid which causes the antibiotic resisatance

Quick Reply

Latest