The Student Room Group

Histogram Help

Hello I have an exam next week and the foundation students at my school aresorted out for maths, but higher aren't :frown: . I just want a bit of help starting histograms as I've never seen them before and the revision notes aren't making much sense to me either :eek3: it would be nice to know them as my exam is probably gonna have them.

Could someone please take the time to explain them to me as most maths websites I go on don't concentrate on GCSE maths and if they do they're normally foundation based.
Reply 1
cool username
Reply 2
the website s cool is good

chill out dude, histograms are a doodle
Reply 3
same as a bar chart but area of the bars are taken into account.

frequency density y axis

class width x axis

frequency = frequency density x class width

therefore frequency density is...
Reply 4
boboyt
same as a bar chart but area of the bars are taken into account.

frequency density y axis

class width x axis

frequency = frequency density x class width

therefore frequency density is...

frequency/class width? It seems logical when I imagine it. I'm a bit panicked because I only got told I was doing this exam a month ago due to a school movement that starts GCSE at different time. Am I right? If I am thanks for this. Charts and data has never been my strong point.
Reply 5
yup, basically all they will ask of you is to use that formula, so read off the axis and remember that the y axis multiplied by the x axis = frequency

and frequency is the number of pieces of that data, in this case the number of pieces of data that fall under the specified class width.

They may get you to draw it out also but dont panic just look at the formula.
Reply 6
FREQUENCY IS AREA OF THE BAR

FREQUENCY DENSITY Y AXIS

CLASS WIDTH X AXIS

FREQUENCY DENSITY = FREQUENCY / CLASS WIDTH

All info you need, hope this helps.
Reply 7
It makes sense now. Thanks a bunch. I'd better tell al at school 2moz how its done. At 1st I thought you just made a measurement along the y axis.

Latest