The Student Room Group

Aqa chem4 15th june 2011 (resit) thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Original post by Master.K
You know for those big 3 marker questions .....where you had name reagents....etc.
One of them showed an aldehyde.....Is it ok if I put tollens' reagent and silver mirror is formed? :confused:

yes, that's fine.
Reply 1001
what did everyone get for the conc of Q in the Kc question
Reply 1002
Original post by bjparmar
Omggggggggg i thought the exam went ok until i looked on this thread !

this happened to me aswell - it makes you feel like CRAP!!!
Reply 1003
Original post by Master.K
You know for those big 3 marker questions .....where you had name reagents....etc.
One of them showed an aldehyde.....Is it ok if I put tollens' reagent and silver mirror is formed? :confused:

I hope so haha! thats what i put... I reckon its one mark for tollens, then one mark for the aldehyde forms a silver mirror and one mark for saying the other compound will have no reaction
Reply 1004
Original post by Saima_x
What did you guys put for the question about 'what would need to be done for the public to find this more reliable' or something like that, was to do with pthlates question I think..

I hated this question! Really didn't know what to write :frown:
Reply 1005
Original post by .Hayley.
I hated this question! Really didn't know what to write :frown:

For this question, the company that had done the tests for the substance was the Plasticisers institute or something. So I said that tests should be conducted by an independent organisation where the results wouldn't be biased.
Original post by jimmy303
Calculate the pH of the solution formed when 25.0cm3 of 0.150 moldm–3 aqueous sulfuric acid are added to 30.0cm3 of 0.200 moldm–3 aqueous potassium hydroxide at 25 °C. Assume that the sulfuric acid is fully dissociated.

It wants you to give the pH of the solution after the two substances have reacted.

pH = -log[H+]

So we need to find the concentration of protons when the two solutions have reacted.

Find the initial number of moles of H+ (vol. x conc. x 2 as sulfuric acid is diprotic (two protons per molecule))
25/1000 x 0.15 x 2
= 7.5 x 10 to the power of minus 3 moles of H+.

find the initial moles of OH- (vol. x conc.)
30/1000 x 0.2
= 6 x 10 to the power of minus 3 moles of OH-.

Find out which is in excess (in this case the protons) and subtract the number of moles of the other substance from it. In essence the protons and hydroxide ions react to form water, leaving behind a certain number of moles of the substance in excess (in this case H+) which have nothing to react with.

So (7.5 x 10 to the power of minus 3) - (6 x 10 to the power of minus 3)
= 1.5 x 10 to the power of minus 3 moles of H+ left.

We then convert this to concentration.
Conc = moles / volume

The volume is the total volume after the reaction (i.e. the two solutions have been added together so the volumes are added together).
Volume in dm3 = (25 + 30) / 1000
= 0.055

Thus conc. = (1.5 x 10 to the power of minus 3) / 0.055
= 0.0273moldm-3 to three sig. fig.

-log(0.0273)
= 1.56

Hope this is helpful to you!

For a while I thought this was the answer to the June 2011 question and it gave me a heart attack because I dont remember getting 1.56 or anything being diprotic, then I read it and PHEW! its only 2010.
Which was it that was a Aldehyde I don't remember seeing it on there?

I remember a ketone though, pls remind me :confused:
Reply 1008
Original post by rdeegan
cos it said the organisers of the report represented the manufacturers of the phthalate stuff, i said that they should get an independant body to test the product as the results above might be represnted in a way favouring the manufacture of phthalates.... anyone else put somehting like tht?

Yes, I did.
Reply 1009
I don't remember there being a question with an aldehyde!!! :| In the question, how to distinguish between two compounds.
Does anyone remember which part it was? and what it was being compared with!! Crap :frown:
Reply 1010
Original post by Casshern1456
Which was it that was a Aldehyde I don't remember seeing it on there?

I remember a ketone though, pls remind me :confused:

SAME! I remember a ketone but NO aldehyde!!!
Reply 1011
Original post by .Hayley.
I hope so haha! thats what i put... I reckon its one mark for tollens, then one mark for the aldehyde forms a silver mirror and one mark for saying the other compound will have no reaction

you see my friends are saying there wasn't an aldehyde an ketone, was ester and carboxylic acid??????? i hope i'm not wronng
Original post by Saima_x

Maybe people on here read it wrong it looked like a classic Tollens distinguish question and it seems people rushed! there was no aldehyde it was an Acyl Chloride.
Reply 1013
Original post by Casshern1456
Maybe people on here read it wrong it looked like a classic Tollens distinguish question and it seems people rushed! there was no aldehyde it was an Acyl Chloride.

i think people thought part i was the aldehyde and ketone, when infact it was carobxylic acid and ester??? is this correct
Original post by Jkf1192
73 was an A in january

I was on about last year, or at least from what I can rember
Reply 1015
Original post by bashx
this happened to me aswell - it makes you feel like CRAP!!!

Me too! Don't think I'll be coming here after future exams! :frown:
Original post by korz
i think people thought part i was the aldehyde and ketone, when infact it was carobxylic acid and ester??? is this correct

Yes I think so. We need the paper anyways.
I didn't sit the exam but i kinda wanna go through it and answer it for a friend - Is there any paper floating about? Obviously i don't know any of the questions because i didn't sit it.
Original post by Saima_x

First two were Ester and carboxylic acid
Second pair were acyl chloride and something else
Third pair was a primary alcohol and a tertiary alcohol
Original post by FristyKino
First two were Ester and carboxylic acid
Second pair were acyl chloride and something else
Third pair was a primary alcohol and a tertiary alcohol

Yep, that something being a ketone.

What did you put for distinguishing ester and carboxylic acid? and what about the others?

I'm not sure I got them all correct. :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending