Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Difficult to see iodine on the miniscus?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm using a 0.1 conc iodine and it's quite difficult to see where it is on the miniscus... any way I could make sure it's exactly on the miniscus? How would they do this in a real chemical industry?

Many thanks !
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    this is in no way a really technical or accurate way of doing it but when we were using potassium manganate VII in a titration and we couldn't see the meniscus because the compound was quite a dark purple. Our teacher told us to shine a light through the burette (most of us used our phone screens) and this made it easier to distinguise where the meniscus was.

There probably is a proper way to do it but this is what we used
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmaj)
    this is in no way a really technical or accurate way of doing it but when we were using potassium manganate VII in a titration and we couldn't see the meniscus because the compound was quite a dark purple. Our teacher told us to shine a light through the burette (most of us used our phone screens) and this made it easier to distinguise where the meniscus was.

There probably is a proper way to do it but this is what we used
    Sounds like you're doing my ISA

Are you doing a year 13 ISA? Lol
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelooby94)
    Sounds like you're doing my ISA

Are you doing a year 13 ISA? Lol
    what's an ISA ? im in year 13 yeah but im on OCR is that different to your exam board ?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmaj)
    what's an ISA ? im in year 13 yeah but im on OCR is that different to your exam board ?
    It's Bsically an experiment and a follow up test

In ours, we're doing a titration using potassium permanganate
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thelooby94)
    It's Bsically an experiment and a follow up test

In ours, we're doing a titration using potassium permanganate
    oh ok! yeah we have those too we only did a normal practical with potassium permanganate though
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had this with 0.02 moldm-3 iodine. T'was pretty annoying at first but you get used to it. My teacher told me she had burettes with fluorescent increment markings at uni (that might answer your question on the industry solution), that'd make it so much easier...

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 15, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.