The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Student296
You shouldn't mention anything to do with a calorimeter.

for these last question i got not in order- random, sample, abundance, species richness/evenness (one of those), percentage cover. Did you get the same?

I got random, sample, abudance, species richness, species evenness (not in order)

Original post by PrincessMedic
They put a farmer's poem in the paper. I mean, seriously? Come on OCR!

I forgot everything about fertilizers and agriculture...FAIL.

I agree, this was totally absurd, it sounded like some Tory Toff wrote the paper for his/her amusement. Not to mention unneccessary!

Tally Ho come August when I prepare to verbally complain to the board about the atrocious nature of yesterday's exam.
Reply 5542
Original post by mollster57
I got random, sample, abudance, species richness, species evenness (not in order)

Same, I'm 99.9% sure that for the abundance one, it WAS abundance, not percentage cover.
Original post by mathsclown
What was the purpose of test tube B, think i put control to show that it was the e.coli having the effect or something like that, had no clue :/

That's what I put it was 2 marks so

1 for "control"
2 for Only the ecoli having an effect on the experiment

For the reliability one did people put:

1. More repeats (calculated mean)
2. More intermediate values of ecoli volume (Not so happy with this one)

What did people put for the 1 mark about "give an alternative explanation to why reducing sugar was present?"
If many of us thought the exam was too difficult, or even just poorly structured... which is what I believed to be considering the psychological nature of people and previous past papers, then we should make a series of formal complaints! Maybe they will listen if a legion of ticked off students are making a stance against the insane layout of the questions. Tbh, I've done mnay exams in my time, considering my age and that was the most devious one ever. I still expect an A but Christ! I've never wanted to rip an exam apart as much as that one.
Original post by Alex Bampton
That's what I put it was 2 marks so

1 for "control"
2 for Only the ecoli having an effect on the experiment

For the reliability one did people put:

1. More repeats (calculated mean)
2. More intermediate values of ecoli volume (Not so happy with this one)

What did people put for the 1 mark about "give an alternative explanation to why reducing sugar was present?"

i said for control and said can compare between test tubes?
for that i said replicates and calculate mean

Exactly the same. I put percentage cover for the plant one, but changed it to abundance because i remembered the acfor scale is used for plants, and there was no mention of a quadrate which would imply its not percentage cover.
Reply 5547
for the reduced biodiversity affecting agriculture could you get one mark for saying that reduced biodiversity means plants are less likely to adapt to new selection pressures as there is a decrease in the gene pool, so less crop yield
Original post by mathsclown
What was the purpose of test tube B, think i put control to show that it was the e.coli having the effect or something like that, had no clue :/

I put it was used as a control to compare the experimental test tube with.:smile:
what about the induced fit why do the scientist use that instead of lock and key and whats the process of it, the stupid poem question and name the kingdom where scattered DNA belong to
can anyone tell me what they wrote
Reply 5550
Original post by Jay Singh
what about the induced fit why do the scientist use that instead of lock and key and whats the process of it, the stupid poem question and name the kingdom where scattered DNA belong to
can anyone tell me what they wrote

I said that they found out more than one susbtrate can fit a active site?
Original post by Axion
I said that they found out more than one susbtrate can fit a active site?

what about the other questions that i asked
Reply 5552
what about the other questions that i asked

The name of the kingodm with scattered dna. what on earth was that question?
Original post by Axion
The name of the kingodm with scattered dna. what on earth was that question?

it was either prokaryotae or fungi i said prokaryotae
Reply 5554
Original post by sajerz
I got a B last year in this so was going for an A... there goes any hope of that.

Can safely say that was a nightmare of a paper and completely different to any others on that unit.

Hope this doesn't put off people from going onto A2 they're not normally that weird, although it is OCR who seem to have a personal vendetta against all my subjects.

last year i ****ed about, even thou all my teachers where expecting A out of me i did no work and got a D on this paper (am not proud of myself for that). This year i revised so hard getting 90%+ in all the build up test in class, and 80%+ in past papers. BUT!!!! this exam was ****ing crap, some question made no sense i swear some where asked twice and it only covered 2 out of the 15 topics we studied.
it was either prokaryotae or fungi i said prokaryotae

I said Fungi...it was a weird question.
Reply 5556
Was that the question beneath the table?
Reply 5557
I don't believe it, I should've read the question slower. I was rushing and felt pushed for time!

i went and did that, but i read the question again and crossed it out.
Reply 5558
Original post by Comeheretellme
I said Fungi...it was a weird question.

it has to be fungi as it said nucleus in cytoplasm, and prokaroytes don't have nucleus.
Original post by Axion
Was that the question beneath the table?

hi axion the question i said control and put comparion between test tube would i get the marks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending