The Student Room Group

Stay at home mums have the hardest job and here's why.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I am willing,
to delude women any way they wish themselves deluded,
as long as I get my sandwiches done on time.

Parenting is the easiest job,
anyone could do, if you possess the right intelligence.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Red one
This is simply false and nothing short of ignorance, my mum was stay-at-home parent and despite what you believe she did worry about the bills and the food shopping just like working parents. You see when one spouse is a stay-at-home there's this mutual understanding that they are both contributing to the marriage and household. One may be in monetary terms but the other is equally as important, why would the working partner agree to to their spouse staying home if they were not happy?

How laughable.

Having someone there when things go wrong and to take away the burden is in no way comparable to facing everything alone.

I should hope your mother was conscious of the bills and food shopping, as is everyone else on the planet - she doesn't deserve a medal for it.

Oh wow I'm not sure what to say to this but it's obvious you don't have a good relationship with your own mother. Imagine if she read this, what would she think?

My relationship with my mother is brilliant, actually. She's one of my closest friends as well as my mother and she's the strongest woman I know.

And she would find your argument absolutely hilarious, for the record.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
It's referring to a lot of comments I've seen you make

This just shows how bitter you are. I'm not saying what your mum did wasn't difficult, but you can't go around saying "YOU DON'T HAVE PROBLEMS BECAUSE MY MUM DID THIS EVEN WITH BEING A SINGLE PARENT". It would be like me shouting down everyone every time they mentioned something that upset them because I have suffered severe depression. Different people have different problems.

Care to state which? I won't even go into what I've noticed about your posts.

And I don't think I've once said "you can't have any problems", but being a stay at home mother is not even remotely close to the hardest thing you can do. Period. I'm not sure how "bitterness" enters the equation.

You want to do it? Good for you. But don't expect applause.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't think you can say a certain job is the hardest, it depends on the person, but I think this is a response to the criticism that stay at home women get

Yeah, it's mocked if you want to do it, which is wrong. I don't mock people who choose very high powered careers, I would appreciate the same

Exactly
Reply 44
Original post by Genocidal

Once again, it targets fathers who are always portrayed as bumbling idiots who could barely make toast without setting the kitchen on fire. It also targets women who choose to have careers and choose not to stay at home because supposedly they've decided to take the easy way out because, after all, 'being a stay at home mum is the hardest job in the world'.

Overall, you can't take any video like this seriously because it's produced to play on emotions to sell a product. And, of course, thousands of idiots all over the world fall for it.

It's not a dig at stay-at-home dads, I'm not sure how you've perceived it as such. Traditionally the stay-at-home partner is the woman so the statement is only pandering to what most people identify with. You'd be hard-stretched to find a stay-at-home dad if you asked all your friends and their friends they had a stay-at-home parent. Truth is most dads don't want to care for the children and do housework while donning an apron which is understandable but you can't also expect the slogan to also encompass stay-at-home dads when it's seldom the dad that stays home.

We can change it to stay-at-home parent to appease your sensibilities and avoid any misandrist implications, however it's just making a mountain out of an ant hill if you ask me.
Original post by Meyrin
Care to state which? I won't even go into what I've noticed about your posts.

And I don't think I've once said "you can't have any problems", but being a stay at home mother is not even remotely close to the hardest thing you can do. Period. I'm not sure how "bitterness" enters the equation.

You want to do it? Good for you. But don't expect applause.

I can't be bothered to go through them and find them out, but it's just the vibe I get from you. I agree with some of what you say but you seem very militant in women cannot be feminine and women MUST do x, which ironically, is just like the patriarchy you're supposed to be fighting :K:

Different circumstances, different children, different people. I don't think you can say a job is objectively harder than the other, but this thread is in response to the criticism stay at home mums get, from people like you

Original post by donutaud15
Exactly

It's ridiculous, you're not better than someone because you palm your kids off to a childminder :K:
Reply 46
Original post by Red one
You're absolutely right it's pathetic how people like you dismiss stay at home mums as parasites because they choose to sacrifice themselves everyday for the sake of caring for their own children rather than being selfish and going back to work less than a month after giving birth.

I'm sorry but you are just wrong.

I would much rather stay at home, raise a child, and go out with my mates to the park during the day than work.

Stop trying to legitimise the choice in life you want to make, when you know as well as I do it's not true.
Reply 47
lol my mum does all that **** and works a long hour job. Waayyy harder.
Original post by Red one
It's not a dig at stay-at-home dads, I'm not sure how you've perceived it as such. Traditionally the stay-at-home partner is the woman so the statement is only pandering to what most people identify with. You'd be hard-stretched to find a stay-at-home dad if you asked all your friends and their friends they had a stay-at-home parent. Truth is most dads don't want to care for the children and do housework while donning an apron which is understandable but you can't also expect the slogan to also encompass stay-at-home dads when it's seldom the dad that stays home.

We can change it to stay-at-home parent to appease your sensibilities and avoid any misandrist implications, however it's just making a mountain out of an ant hill if you ask me.

I could say the same about this thread.
Reply 49
Original post by Meyrin
How laughable.

Having someone there when things go wrong and to take away the burden is in no way comparable to facing everything alone.

I should hope your mother was conscious of the bills and food shopping, as is everyone else on the planet - she doesn't deserve a medal for it.

I wasn't aware I posted something guffaw worthy in my previous response to you but while we are on the subject of amusement inducing statements I'd like to point out that you've completely evaded the various points I've addressed in my previous post by making sensationalist comments which is only proof that your witts are spent.

Having said that, I did not claim that being conscious of the bills and food shopping deserves a medal however you, yourself claimed that stay-at-home parents don't need to be conscious of household income and spending - something which you've just contradicted.
Reply 50
I can't be bothered to go through them and find them out, but it's just the vibe I get from you. I agree with some of what you say but you seem very militant in women cannot be feminine and women MUST do x, which ironically, is just like the patriarchy you're supposed to be fighting :K:

Different circumstances, different children, different people. I don't think you can say a job is objectively harder than the other, but this thread is in response to the criticism stay at home mums get, from people like you

I have never stated anything of the sort, and if you're going to make such accusations then you should at least have some evidence to back them up.

I asked you, in one thread, how you can expect someone who opposes your beliefs to find any credibility in what you say when you choose to follow a lifestyle they believe is the "correct" way for men and women to live.

Then you waffled on yet again about "but it's about choice!!!" and didn't even answer the question.

And actually, I can say that, and with a great deal of confidence.

If being a stay at home mother is a daily battle for some people, I highly suggest they try their hand at trying to juggle it with other responsibilities and see how difficult life is then.

As I said, I'm not criticising them. But I won't praise them either, especially when they're calling it "the hardest job in the world."

It's ridiculous, you're not better than someone because you palm your kids off to a childminder :K:

The thread is titled Stay at home mums have the hardest job and here's why. Which is a pretty ridiculous.
Reply 53
Original post by puma21

This video wasn't funny when you posted it the first time and it sure as hell isn't funny now. :rolleyes:

Original post by Genocidal
I could say the same about this thread.

I only made this thread since most people on this forum, as Tyrion Lannister mentioned earlier, are career oriented which is expected from a student forum however that doesn't allow you to dismiss stay-at-home mums as "scroungers" when there's a mutual spousal understanding in place.
Original post by Meyrin
I have never stated anything of the sort, and if you're going to make such accusations then you should at least have some evidence to back them up.

I asked you, in one thread, how you can expect someone who opposes your beliefs to find any credibility in what you say when you choose to follow a lifestyle they believe is the "correct" way for men and women to live.

Then you waffled on yet again about "but it's about choice!!!" and didn't even answer the question.

I did answer the question, you didn't like my answer and so chose not to take it

And actually, I can say that, and with a great deal of confidence.

If being a stay at home mother is a daily battle for some people, I highly suggest they try their hand at trying to juggle it with other responsibilities and see how difficult life is then.

This is just bitchy and rude

As I said, I'm not criticising them. But I won't praise them either, especially when they're calling it "the hardest job in the world."

You just sound really bitter that you had a tough upbringing and are now moaning that anyone else says anything is hard
Original post by ChickenMadness
The thread is titled Stay at home mums have the hardest job and here's why. Which is a pretty ridiculous.

It's dramatic, but surely you've seen the bashing stay at home women get on here?
Original post by Red one
I wasn't aware I posted something guffaw worthy in my previous response to you but while we are on the subject of amusement inducing statements I'd like to point out that you've completely evaded the various points I've addressed in my previous post by making sensationalist comments which is only proof that your witts are spent.

Having said that, I did not claim that being conscious of the bills and food shopping deserves a medal however you, yourself claimed that stay-at-home parents don't need to be conscious of household income and spending - something which you've just contradicted.

You did not have a point, and what little nonsense was there I responded to. Perhaps try giving it another read.

There is a big difference in being conscious of payments, and actually having the responsibility of being the one who has to figure out how to pay for them, and go out and earn it, oddly enough.
Reply 57
Original post by Red one
This video wasn't funny when you posted it the first time and it sure as hell isn't funny now. :rolleyes:

I've only posted it once on this thread? Either way he's calling out your bs, being a stay at home mother is easy. Chores are a joke these days machines do most of the work, cooking is simple enough and enjoyable, looking after children shouldn't be a problem either as most of the time they're at school and are easily pacified with technology if you're a rubbish parent.
Reply 58
Original post by ChickenMadness

Why is it ridiculous?

I believe that a full-time job with no pay where you're are responsible for the life and psychological development of someone else is the hardest job in the world. Come at me, bro! :gfight:
Reply 59
Original post by Red one
Many of you ridiculed me for a recent thread I made where I mentioned that being a housewife and full time mum was hard.

Here's a video to prove it.

[video="youtube;HB3xM93rXbY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3xM93rXbY[/video]

So explain, if it's so hard, why you're against paternity leave?

I've always agreed it's a hard job. I don't feel like that video proves anything, proof takes a lot more than a viral video or one source, however I do agree that being a stay at home mum is hard, but that doesn't mean it is objectively harder or better than another mum. People can do whatever they want to do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending