The Student Room Group

Top 15 universities

Is UK university education getting even more competitive? Just when you thought that getting into a Russell Group or Red Brick university was the zenith of UK university education along comes the idea proposed by professional services, management consultancies, and investment banking organisations that that they the target the top 12-15 universities.

Top 15 universities are: Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester, Warwick, St Andrews, Bath, Leeds, Birmingham, and Glasgow.

Read this - https://medium.com/@laurayoungson/is-experience-of-life-more-important-than-a-degree-in-a-successful-career-667b32256db9
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Kinga88
Is UK university education getting even competitive? Just when you thought that getting into a Russell Group or Red Brick university was the zenith of UK university education along comes the idea proposed by professional services, management consultancies, and investment banking that that they the target the top 12-15 universities.

Top 15 universities are: Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, LSE, Durham, Edinburgh, Bristol, Manchester, Warwick, St Andrews, Bath, Leeds, Birmingham, and Glasgow.

Some of us have never thought that.
It highly depends on the subject. For some subjects, you are better off going to none of these unis.
I'm sure the marketing teams at RG unis will be pleased about the 'zenith' line.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
I'm sure the marketing teams at RG unis will be pleased about the 'zenith' line.

I will suggest it in my gaff later.
Original post by Kinga88
Is UK university education getting even more competitive? Just when you thought that getting into a Russell Group or Red Brick university was the zenith of UK university education along comes the idea proposed by professional services, management consultancies, and investment banking organisations that that they the target the top 12-15 universities.

Replace Leeds & Glasgow with KCL & Nottingham.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Kinga88

What is the criteria.

You do know the Russel Group universities were formed when "some" Vice Chancellors happened to meet up in a bar in Russel Square one jolly Saturday afternoon? Having dabbled with higher education in Manchester I really don't rate Manchester University at all. When you go to open days, the only thing they seem to be able to say about themselves is 1824 to say nothing of quality of teaching, pastoral and extras.
Every few months one of these threads comes round and I feel my braincells dying as I read it.

Are these the top 10-15 universities for nursing? Are they the top 10-15 universities for games programming? Top 10-15 for Korean?

Obviously not.
Reply 8
Original post by Kinga88

The key difference is that top 15 are always learning and are less likely to be complacent. The lower ranked the university then the worse the work ethic of students is perceived to be. That is why some universities just dont rate.
Reply 9
Original post by Kinga88

Read this - https://medium.com/@laurayoungson/is-experience-of-life-more-important-than-a-degree-in-a-successful-career-667b32256db9

Exeter is better than a number on your list and also Loughborough. In fact your list seems very out of date indeed.
Original post by Gloria44
Exeter is better than a number on your list and also Loughborough. In fact your list seems very out of date indeed.
hmmm glasgow, leeds, brum and maybe manchester. Id say its similair to bristol
Reply 11
Original post by managing-remissi
hmmm glasgow, leeds, brum and maybe manchester. Id say its similair to bristol
Based on what?

The problem with these rankings is that in reality they are a fictional list that floats around in the minds of undergrads. Various people have tried to rank said universities based on certain criteria (choose which you prefer) but no one can ever go to university x and then conclude after the event that they would have been better off going to university y.

Ultimately, unless you are going into a world of nepotism and old boys clubs which frankly exclude 99.99% of us anyway, the only thing employers care about is what you know and what skills you have and most importantly relevant work experience. Most universities don't offer the later so the universities that are actually the most valuable are those which offer sandwich courses or those which offer work-based skill extras such as leadership, time management, team working etc etc.
Reply 12
is brum university actually good
Reply 13
Original post by JF ZAK
is brum university actually good
If you like Cadbury's absolutely. For York, you have to like Rowntree.
Surely you've got to replace Leeds with King's College London. And Bath being there is a little precarious (not massively though).
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Toblerone_bear
Nottingham's not as well regarded as it used to be. I'd say Glasgow's better respected in general.
Original post by Picnicl
Nottingham's not as well regarded as it used to be. I'd say Glasgow's better respected in general.
Agree nottingham is not what it once was, it used to be on par with Edinburgh, Bristol and Exeter but its defo behind those now, asides from law and econ its rep is much lower than it was. Glasgow is debateable however imo.
Reply 17
Original post by hotpud
If you like Cadbury's absolutely. For York, you have to like Rowntree.
nah
its cauze i knw it has 3 big uni
is it good for architecture
Original post by Picnicl
Surely you've got to replace Leeds with King's College London. And Bath being there is a little precarious (not massively though).
Nah, that’s rubbish. Bath is firmly within top 15 and continues to make strides year on year. Just look at the entry standards - higher than KCL.
Original post by Toblerone_bear

Is bath better than Glasgow

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending