The Student Room Group

Is Electromagnetic force and the Electrostatic Force the same thing

In a nucleus we have protons kept intact by the strong nuclear force, which overcomes the electrostatic forces of repulsion between the protons. However, is the electrostatic force the same as the analogy of the electromagnetic force proposed by Richard Feynman?
Original post by Asad_2015
In a nucleus we have protons kept intact by the strong nuclear force, which overcomes the electrostatic forces of repulsion between the protons. However, is the electrostatic force the same as the analogy of the electromagnetic force proposed by Richard Feynman?

I don't think so, electrostatic forces are between positive and negative entities. But I could be wrong I am a B grade student 😭
Reply 2
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
I don't think so, electrostatic forces are between positive and negative entities. But I could be wrong I am a B grade student 😭

But electromagnetic are between charged particles, hence negative and positive, etc.
But electromagnetic are between charged particles, hence negative and positive, etc.

Then you answered your own question there nate
Electromagnetic force is the combination of electric and magnetic force.
Reply 6
electrostatic force is a force of attraction and is present in covalent bonds etc
Electromagnetic and electrostatic are different manifestations of the same property: the charge force carrying particles namely electrons and protons.

Charged particles which are not in motion relative to each other (i.e. static charges) will experience the static charge force alone.

Charges moving with respect to each also obey Einstein's special relativity laws. Thus the static charge force manifests itself as both a static electric field and also the motion induced perpendicular magnetic field.

Hence electromagnetism is the same static charge property but manifested as an interdependent electric and magnetic force, as a result of charge motion and as described by the Lorentz inertial frame transformation.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by uberteknik
Electromagnetic and electrostatic are different manifestations of the same property: the charge force carrying particles namely electrons and protons.

Charged particles which are not in motion relative to each other (i.e. static charges) will experience the static charge force alone.

Charges moving with respect to each also obey Einstein's special relativity laws. Thus the static charge force manifests itself as both a static electric field and also the motion induced perpendicular magnetic field.

Hence electromagnetism is the same static charge property but manifested as an interdependent electric and magnetic force, as a result of charge motion and as described by the Lorentz inertial frame transformation.

Reply 9

Electrostatic force is the force between two stationary charged particles. A moving charged particle also produces a magnetic field, hence the electromagnetic force.

Electrostatic = stationary charges

Quick Reply

Latest