The Student Room Group

AQA-PHYA5-2A-QP-JUN13 Question

Hello,

I'm puzzled with how to solve this question:
----

2) c) Astronomers investigating the supermassive black hole at the centre of the Milky Waygalaxy detect radio waves at a frequency of 230 GHz. By correlating the informationfrom several radio telescopes, they can obtain images with the same resolution as asingle radio telescope with a diameter of 5000 km.

2) c) iii) The centre of the Milky Way galaxy is 25 000 light years from the Earth.

Show that the limit of the resolution of the telescope is approximately five times theangle subtended by the Schwarzschild radius of the black hole at this distance.

Also, what did the mark scheme mean by 'use of s = rθ' ?

How? :afraid:

Kind regards,

Mic
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Shmurple
Hello,

I'm puzzled with how to solve this question:

2) c) iii) The centre of the Milky Way galaxy is 25 000 light years from the Earth.

Show that the limit of the resolution of the telescope is approximately five times theangle subtended by the Schwarzschild radius of the black hole at this distance.

Also, what did the mark scheme mean by 'use of s = rθ' ?

How? :afraid:

Kind regards,

Mic
You need to post the whole question. Without it we have to guess or make assumptions on missing information - which is the cardinal rule one must never break in physics. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by uberteknik
You need to post the whole question. Without it we have to guess or make assumptions on missing information - which is the cardinal rule one must never break in physics. :smile:

Sure, I've updated the original post to include the main question now. You can see the other ones at the QP if possible http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-PHYA5-2A-QP-JUN13.PDF :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest