The Student Room Group

Chromecast

What is chromecast? Also how does it work?
It's basically a media streaming device which plugs into your TV (via HDMI port), and you can watch films, TV shows, and loads of other entertainment on your TV with it, using your laptop/phone... It has loads of apps like iPlayer, Netflix, Spotify... which you can use to stream comment from!
Reply 2
thanks
i am thinking of buying one and i can choose between fire stick, chrome cast and miracast.

i am concern about lag issue. which is best in ur opinion?

does chromecast has issues with lag?
Original post by HucktheForde
i am thinking of buying one and i can choose between fire stick, chrome cast and miracast.

It all depends on your internet connection, and how well the router communicates with the devices. Usually these days, there is virtually no communication lag with the router and devices, but it all depends on how fast your internet connection is.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
It all depends on your internet connection, and how well the router communicates with the devices. Usually these days, there is virtually no communication lag with the router and devices, but it all depends on how fast your internet connection is.

i have watched some tutorial videos but still unsure how it works. i have to connect my laptop to 2 wifi sources? one from the device and another from my modem?
i have watched some tutorial videos but still unsure how it works. i have to connect my laptop to 2 wifi sources? one from the device and another from my modem?

I can't remember the exact setup procedure but if I remember correctly the Chromecast creates its own network during the initial setup process. From that point onwards it is operated over your normal WiFi network.

I have been using an original Chromecast constantly since it launched four years ago and I've not personally experienced any significant lag issues.
Exactly this! @HucktheForde the Chromecast connects to your WiFi router, as usual, and any devices logged under the same WiFi router can control the Chromecast (providing that the Chromecast supports it).

I use Amazon Firesticks, and it's the same principle basically, and you can control stuff, such as the YouTube app on it from your phone/tablet, with virtually no lag.
i have a hugeeee TV in my living room, and my laptop in my bedroom, i want take advantage of the large TV but dont wanna move my laptop around. Do u think chromecast will be the solution? ( i already have wireless mouse and wireless keyboard)
i have a hugeeee TV in my living room, and my laptop in my bedroom, i want take advantage of the large TV but dont wanna move my laptop around. Do u think chromecast will be the solution? ( i already have wireless mouse and wireless keyboard)

Yes, you can mirror anything in the Chrome browser onto the Chromecast (there's probably full desktop sharing applications out there too, I've just never looked for it) or just use mobile apps for streaming content to the screen and use your phone as the remote control- this is what I do with it 90% of the time.
You can now mirror your whole desktop and applications with Google Cast (formerly Chromecast)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending