The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Lol same
Original post by Crobby
Ok so i was wondering if i could get some advice! I have done 0 nisus and euryalus and i have only tonight to revise that as well as maths!

I know im stupid but i was really ill most of these past two years in hospital :frown:

Any tips on what to prioritise? Thanks!

To be honest, I'm pretty unprepared myself but what I'm doing is going through text, picking out random bits to translate, so that I'll know how to translate it during the exam if given a bit from the middle.
Also I'm making sure I know the storyline pretty well, to be prepared for the 8 mark.
I'm planning on winging it on the 10 mark but I wouldn't advise that:biggrin:
Original post by Crobby
Ok so i was wondering if i could get some advice! I have done 0 nisus and euryalus and i have only tonight to revise that as well as maths!

I know im stupid but i was really ill most of these past two years in hospital :frown:

Any tips on what to prioritise? Thanks!

Prioritise on what you want to do in later life as well as what you'll typically expect to do worse in with less revision.

If you want to head more into the Latin route, prioritise Latin. But if you think that you really need to do some Maths, and you want to secure a good grade in that, then go for Maths.

Good luck!
Reply 243
Original post by daisy.spillane
To be honest, I'm pretty unprepared myself but what I'm doing is going through text, picking out random bits to translate, so that I'll know how to translate it during the exam if given a bit from the middle.
Also I'm making sure I know the storyline pretty well, to be prepared for the 8 mark.
I'm planning on winging it on the 10 mark but I wouldn't advise that:biggrin:

Thanks! Tbh i think ill just learn some bits of translation and try and analyse on the spot!
Reply 244
Original post by TeenPolyglot
Prioritise on what you want to do in later life as well as what you'll typically expect to do worse in with less revision.

If you want to head more into the Latin route, prioritise Latin. But if you think that you really need to do some Maths, and you want to secure a good grade in that, then go for Maths.

Good luck!

Thanks so much! Think i've decided to prioritise latin!
I am so screwed for Verse. The start of Nisus and Euryalus should be fine but near the end (where Nisus is praying and throwing spears and god knows what else) it will all fall apart. Really hoping the ten marker is the lion simile
Wtf was the four mark flower question on the Vergil paper :frown::frown:
Original post by Crème brûlée
Wtf was the four mark flower question on the Vergil paper :frown::frown:

screwed me over. i felt like i was kinda repeating myself
Omg how did everyone find it? (I did Nisus and Euryalus) Glad the poppy simile kinda came up but the 10 marker was just cruel. Ended up being really pressed for time so didnt finish my 8 marker (only wrote about 7 points but since you only need around 5 I'm hoping it will be enough) and didnt get to check any of my work - also really scared same of my points for the ten marker are invalid 😂😂😂 oh and omg the first couple of pages I didnt know what to put for some of them so instead of talking about content I mixed a bit of stylistic points in there 😂 tbh since I barely knew any of the translation it went better than I thought but actual still it was pretty terrible. And WHERE WAS THE HUNGRY LION CREATING HAVOC THROUGHOUT THE SHEEPFOLDS?

At least we're FINALLY FREE FROM LATIN (well those who aren't taking latin for a level) I feel really free even though I know for sure that that verse paper has pulled my grade down from the other three papers by a lot 😂
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by gcsemusicsucks
Omg how did everyone find it? (I did Nisus and Euryalus) Glad the poppy simile kinda came up but the 10 marker was just cruel. Ended up being really pressed for time so didnt finish my 8 marker (only wrote about 7 points but since you only need around 5 I'm hoping it will be enough) and didnt get to check any of my work - also really scared same of my points for the ten marker are invalid 😂😂😂 oh and omg the first couple of pages I didnt know what to put for some of them so instead of talking about content I mixed a bit off stylistic points in there 😂 tbh since I barely knew any of the translation it went better than I thought but actual still it was pretty terrible. And WHERE WAS THE HUNGRY LION CREATING HAVOC THROUGHOUT THE SHEEPFOLDS?

At least we're FINALLY FREE FROM LATIN (well those who aren't taking latin for a level) I feel really free even though I know for sure that that verse paper has pulled my grade down from the other three papers by a lot 😂

you do get to talk about stylistic points as long as its mixed with content and basically complementing your content points.
Omg how did everyone find it? (I did Nisus and Euryalus) Glad the poppy simile kinda came up but the 10 marker was just cruel. Ended up being really pressed for time so didnt finish my 8 marker (only wrote about 7 points but since you only need around 5 I'm hoping it will be enough) and didnt get to check any of my work - also really scared skme of my points for the ten marker are invalid 😂😂😂 oh and omg the first couple of pages I didnt know what to put for some of them so instead of talking about content I mixed a bit off stylistic points in there 😂 tbh since I barely knew any of the translation it went better than I thought but actual still it was pretty terrible. And WHERE WAS THE HUNGRY LION CREATING HAVOC THROUGHOUT THE SHEEPFOLDS?

I had barely any idea for some questions whether you were supposed to basically translate it or comment on stylistic features :s-smilie: my points are pretty pathetic for the eight mark question, and I think I've lost most of my marks on the four mark flower question 😂
I had barely any idea for some questions whether you were supposed to basically translate it or comment on stylistic features :s-smilie: my points are pretty pathetic for the eight mark question, and I think I've lost most of my marks on the four mark flower question 😂

Sammeeee! It was so different to the Pliny paper I literally had no idea what I was doing😂
Original post by Pedaly7
you do get to talk about stylistic points as long as its mixed with content and basically complementing your content points.

Can't remember what I wrote but thank you that gives me some consolation!
That wasn't that bad. It was too long and the poppy question was really weird but it could've been much worse. The ten marker section was a gift too
I thought it was really good! Not as good as pliny but still really good, i did virgil btw.
I couldn't think of 4 things to say about the poppy though.
I liked the 10 marker but i didn't really have too much to say on the 8 marker (i chose Euryalus )
What you guys on about? It was easier than last year so I hope I get full marks

I agree! I thought the smaller questions were all really badly worded and didn't know whether I had to do style points or not. 😬
Reply 257
That went so badly for me! I thought I'd have loads of time like Pliny but I looked at the clock and i still had the 10 marker 8 marker and the two pages inbetween to do in like 15 minutes :eek: aah im so screwed haha
how was ovid and catullus?

i did not like it ...
Sammeeee! It was so different to the Pliny paper I literally had no idea what I was doing😂

Omg what the hell was that?!?! I hated it soooo much! All the little questions I didn't know whether to translate or talk about style! If I got the wrong end of the stick then I failed and I'm so scared right now oml :ashamed2::K::redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending