The Student Room Group

A-level Classical Civilisation Study Group 2023-2024

:hello: Welcome to the A-level Classical Civilisation Study Group! :hello:

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

A few possible ice breaker questions are:
What exam board are you with?
What do you enjoy most about this subject/ course?
What area do you struggle with in this subject/ course?

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi everyone!!

I study OCR Classical Civ and my modules are Greek Theatre and Love & Relationships!
Hi! I also study Classical Civilisation and my modules are Greek Theatre, The Odyssey and Greek Religion
(edited 7 months ago)
Hi! I am a mature student.
Came out of `retirement` to study A level Ancient History recently.
Now tackling Classical Civilisation.
As its outside my comfort zone i am going to test the water with AS next summer with a view to full A in 2025.
Studying the Iliad and Greek theatre.
Have not read the epic yet as i have decided to do background reading and study first.
Read the two books by R. Lane Fox, travelling Greeks and Homer and his Iliad.
I have a 2 week holiday in October so plan on tackling the epic then.
First thoughts are that this is incredibly interesting and i should be ok (some overlap with Ancient History).
My choices for the full A will be Democracy and the Athenians and the Aeneid.
Any advice greatly appreciated!
Hi!!
I have just started to study OCR Classical Civilisations A-Level
My modules are Greek Religion, Greek Art, and The World of The Hero

Original post by Pwca

This is where you can chat with other students studying the same subjects as you and support each other as you head towards your exams :grouphugs:

You can post any useful tips and resources that you come across, offer support to others, share your successes, or just have moan when it gets tough! :yes:

Just remember, it’s against the site rules to ask for or offer any copyrighted papers, or to take conversations off-site to do these things. Posts that break these rules will be removed.

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this! :yeah:
Reply 5
Original post by cinmnsoul
Hi everyone!!

I study OCR Classical Civ and my modules are Greek Theatre and Love & Relationships!

Same! Ru in y13?
Reply 6
Original post by pigeon.pie
Same! Ru in y13?

Yes!
Reply 7
Original post by Pwca

i do classics- and tkate greek theatre, love and relationship, iliad and aeneid

was wondering if people had any good websites for revision resources or how to revise for love and relationship as find this the heardest
Reply 8
Original post by Imogen285

was wondering if people had any good websites for revision resources or how to revise for love and relationship as find this the heardest

honestly i have never found anything good for l&r other than other students quizlets! there is so much content for it, being essentially all the works of 4 writers so its impossible to ever be satisfied. just doing a million essay plans seems to be the best bet as far as i can tell.. comparing the writers (normally 2 or 3, but could be all 4 knowing how evil ocr are) as much as possible.

i think warwick also have some good youtube videos/lecture-style things on youtube for classics too but i can't say i've watched them very extensively

love & relationships will definitely be the death of me....
Reply 9
Original post by Imogen285

we do the same modules! l&r is by far my worst lol... I like massolit lectures and jstor articles on the specific authors but https://lizgloyn.wordpress.com/tag/ocr-seneca/ has a lot on Seneca in the context of l&r!!
Reply 10
Original post by Pwca

hi! i’m in year 13 studying OCR Classics and my modules are greek theatre, world of the hero (odyssey) and love and relationships!
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 11
Does anyone know where i can find the world of the hero 2023 past paper or does anyone know the questions they asked?
Reply 12
does anyone also know the questions for the 2023 greek theatre paper?
Original post by Pwca

as well as the 2023 greek religion paper?
Reply 14
hi, im in year 13 and studying odyssey, greek theatre and greek religion
Reply 15
Hi!
The topics I study are the Odyssey, Greek Theatre and Love and Relationships.
Currently doing mocks in all of these which were the 2023 papers, but L&R will be the death of me lol
Reply 16
Original post by bookdemia
Hi!
The topics I study are the Odyssey, Greek Theatre and Love and Relationships.
Currently doing mocks in all of these which were the 2023 papers, but L&R will be the death of me lol

omg SAMEE hii i do the same topics! i saw you on another thread but i can’t find it i was going to reply to you as well it might have been the english lit one

is greek theatre the same for everyone? like bacchae, frogs and oedipus rex?
also how are you finding L&R? i started it this year and we haven’t started seneca yet only plato, ovid, sappho so i thought my teacher wouldn’t give us the 2023 paper but i think he did and edited some stuff?
Reply 17
Hello!! I'm in year 13 studying (OCR) Greek theater, World of the hero and Politics of the late Roman Republic.

Does anyone have any advice on how to revise for the Greek theater visual sources. I always feel overwhelmed with the detail we seem to be expected to know them in.
Reply 18
Original post by marz11
omg SAMEE hii i do the same topics! i saw you on another thread but i can’t find it i was going to reply to you as well it might have been the english lit one

is greek theatre the same for everyone? like bacchae, frogs and oedipus rex?
also how are you finding L&R? i started it this year and we haven’t started seneca yet only plato, ovid, sappho so i thought my teacher wouldn’t give us the 2023 paper but i think he did and edited some stuff?

yes! we do both frogs and bacchae but we call oedipus rex oedipus the king ahah same thing though
my teacher did the same she edited the questions to suit what we’ve done, we’ve only done seneca, plato and one lesson one sappho so far!
i think i was very scared to do the exam but it’s over now and i think it went well! i repeated myself a lot though but all of the questions were basically asking about the same thing so i hope i’ve done well.
wbu how are you finding L&R so far, honestly im quite scared to start ovid 😭
Reply 19
Original post by Sandyfish
Hello!! I'm in year 13 studying (OCR) Greek theater, World of the hero and Politics of the late Roman Republic.

Does anyone have any advice on how to revise for the Greek theater visual sources. I always feel overwhelmed with the detail we seem to be expected to know them in.

I wish I was do roman republic!!! For the visual sources I print out the images and annotate them but there are quizlets w/ a decent amount of detail on them

here's mine https://quizlet.com/gb/796007360/a-level-classical-civilisation-greek-theatre-visual-sources-flash-cards/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending