The Student Room Group

OCR A-level Latin Paper 3 (H443/03) - 12th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

OCR A Level Latin Paper 3 (H443/03) - 12th June 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 12 Jun 2023/ PM
Length: 2h

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey what set texts are people doing? We're doing Cicero's Pro Cluentio for AS and then Tacitus' Annals for the A2. I quite like the Cicero but the Tacitus is mind-numbingly boring imo, even if it does follow on from Germanicus and Piso at GCSE which is quite cute <3 I'm mostly worrying about learning all my translations in time, as it all suddenly gets busy with exams for me from the 12th-20th and I have French (2h30) the morning of the prose lit.
Original post by beaquin
Hey what set texts are people doing? We're doing Cicero's Pro Cluentio for AS and then Tacitus' Annals for the A2. I quite like the Cicero but the Tacitus is mind-numbingly boring imo, even if it does follow on from Germanicus and Piso at GCSE which is quite cute <3 I'm mostly worrying about learning all my translations in time, as it all suddenly gets busy with exams for me from the 12th-20th and I have French (2h30) the morning of the prose lit.

We're doing Cicero's Pro Cluentio for both AS and A2 -- I feel like the AS is more interesting plot-wise, but becomes more descriptive in A2. I absolutely hate learning Cicero especially since he goes off on different tangents. I also have the bulk of my exams in June (10-23) and learning the translations of the Verse lit and the Prose lit seems so exhausting. If anyone has any tips, lmk! I'd really appreciate it!
Reply 3
Original post by fruityoghurt
We're doing Cicero's Pro Cluentio for both AS and A2 -- I feel like the AS is more interesting plot-wise, but becomes more descriptive in A2. I absolutely hate learning Cicero especially since he goes off on different tangents. I also have the bulk of my exams in June (10-23) and learning the translations of the Verse lit and the Prose lit seems so exhausting. If anyone has any tips, lmk! I'd really appreciate it!

Ahh yeah I'm doing Cicero for AS and I find the translation very hard to learn because he goes round and round in circles so sometimes I muddle up different bits of translation. On the plus side he is much easier to analyse the lit crit for than any of the other texts imo as it's hard to miss some of his outlandish anaphora and things. I can't really offer many tips on learning as I'm in the same boat, except that I re-learnt my verse A2 text over Christmas so I'm going to learn that this Thurs after my last exam before half term and hopefully it will come back well enough for me to comfortably cover it in a day. As for the rest, I guess it's getting crammed... I'm just going to try and use the half term to my advantage as much as possible, although I do have the English drama paper soon after which isn't ideal as that takes a lot of revision :frown:
Original post by beaquin
Ahh yeah I'm doing Cicero for AS and I find the translation very hard to learn because he goes round and round in circles so sometimes I muddle up different bits of translation. On the plus side he is much easier to analyse the lit crit for than any of the other texts imo as it's hard to miss some of his outlandish anaphora and things. I can't really offer many tips on learning as I'm in the same boat, except that I re-learnt my verse A2 text over Christmas so I'm going to learn that this Thurs after my last exam before half term and hopefully it will come back well enough for me to comfortably cover it in a day. As for the rest, I guess it's getting crammed... I'm just going to try and use the half term to my advantage as much as possible, although I do have the English drama paper soon after which isn't ideal as that takes a lot of revision :frown:

I covered Cicero AS in a day when I did my year 12 end-of-year mock, lol. I've only glanced over it recently but I hope to cover both of the texts in 2 days? I'm going to try and do that this weekend and then focus on my Verse set texts next week. Btw, what Verse lit texts are you doing?

I find Cicero lit crit easy; I tend not to use the official commentary book or whatever - I just have a list of rhetorical devices that Cicero uses in his speeches and their definitions, and then I apply those to whatever extract comes up. It saves so much unnecessary time trying to regurgitate the commentary :frown: A lot of the Cicero stuff was in my short-term memory, so I need to relearn it but thankfully, his grammar/vocab use isn't too fiendish. I do biology A-level too, and that's a lot to memorise - am questioning some of my life choices, haha
Reply 5
Hey I'm struggling with prepping for the Tacitus 20-marker as the translation our teacher has given us of our section is super wordy and quite unclear. Does anyone by any chance have a timeline/list of events for what happens in the A level text that they would be prepared to share with me? I'm assuming not, especially as it's not a very popular set text as far as I can see...
Reply 6
Hi, not sure if this is the kind of thing you were looking for, but I've got some notes on each chapter done as "tweets" (basically just with a character limit to keep them concise).

I've got them saved as a pdf/word doc but it's unfortunately coming up with errors when I try to upload it though...

Original post by beaquin
Hey I'm struggling with prepping for the Tacitus 20-marker as the translation our teacher has given us of our section is super wordy and quite unclear. Does anyone by any chance have a timeline/list of events for what happens in the A level text that they would be prepared to share with me? I'm assuming not, especially as it's not a very popular set text as far as I can see...
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by cdodhia
Hi, not sure if this is the kind of thing you were looking for, but I've got some notes on each chapter done as "tweets" (basically just with a character limit to keep them concise).

I've got them saved as a pdf/word doc but it's unfortunately coming up with errors when I try to upload it though...

Oh my god that would be amazing! Any chance you could try direct messaging it to me?
Reply 8
Original post by beaquin
Oh my god that would be amazing! Any chance you could try direct messaging it to me?

Yeah I was trying that but I literally just made my account 5 mins ago so I could share my notes w you. Apparently your account has to be at least three days old before you can direct message

Edit: Try this link, hopefully it should work!

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AumKpwYrrIfHgUF_spGPtJOVWDUV?e=rwUsNk

Also just looked at the doc again and realising I missed out the very last chapter in English (Annals V chapter 5) but oh well
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 9

I covered Cicero AS in a day when I did my year 12 end-of-year mock, lol. I've only glanced over it recently but I hope to cover both of the texts in 2 days? I'm going to try and do that this weekend and then focus on my Verse set texts next week. Btw, what Verse lit texts are you doing?

I find Cicero lit crit easy; I tend not to use the official commentary book or whatever - I just have a list of rhetorical devices that Cicero uses in his speeches and their definitions, and then I apply those to whatever extract comes up. It saves so much unnecessary time trying to regurgitate the commentary :frown: A lot of the Cicero stuff was in my short-term memory, so I need to relearn it but thankfully, his grammar/vocab use isn't too fiendish. I do biology A-level too, and that's a lot to memorise - am questioning some of my life choices, haha

Hi again! So, I'm doing Pro Cluentio for AS and A-Level, and I do agree that the A2 content is far more descriptive, though it does massively fill in the gaps from the A1 content as everyone just makes sense!

The only thing I'm really worried about is the 20 marker, as I have a good system set up for 15 markers and memorising content/translations.
Reply 10
Original post by cdodhia
Yeah I was trying that but I literally just made my account 5 mins ago so I could share my notes w you. Apparently your account has to be at least three days old before you can direct message

Edit: Try this link, hopefully it should work!

https://1drv.ms/w/s!AumKpwYrrIfHgUF_spGPtJOVWDUV?e=rwUsNk

Also just looked at the doc again and realising I missed out the very last chapter in English (Annals V chapter 5) but oh well

Thank you so much you are an absolute legend!! If you want any of my translation quizlets or documents just let me know :smile:
Original post by beaquin
Thank you so much you are an absolute legend!! If you want any of my translation quizlets or documents just let me know :smile:

Hi beaquin! There’s some structure related lectures on Massolit re: Annals (A-level and OCR specific). I have an account and I can screen record them for you if it’ll help! :smile:
Reply 12
Hi beaquin! There’s some structure related lectures on Massolit re: Annals (A-level and OCR specific). I have an account and I can screen record them for you if it’ll help! :smile:

That's such a good point! It's really generous of you to offer to record them but I think I have an account through my school and my teacher has shown us a couple in the past but would def be good to recap. Those are the ones with the man who sits with his arm around an empty chair like he's recording with a ghost, aren't they?
Original post by beaquin
That's such a good point! It's really generous of you to offer to record them but I think I have an account through my school and my teacher has shown us a couple in the past but would def be good to recap. Those are the ones with the man who sits with his arm around an empty chair like he's recording with a ghost, aren't they?

Hahah, yes they are!! To be honest, personally, I haven't found the Massolit lectures too helpful - I'm doing Cicero for prose lit and then Aeneid + Heroides for the verse lit paper, and the some of the videos were so dull/didn't add too much. Do you have the Annals commentary book? There tends to be a summary of everything at the start of those! If you don't have it, Google Books might have it in their preview
Reply 14
Hahah, yes they are!! To be honest, personally, I haven't found the Massolit lectures too helpful - I'm doing Cicero for prose lit and then Aeneid + Heroides for the verse lit paper, and the some of the videos were so dull/didn't add too much. Do you have the Annals commentary book? There tends to be a summary of everything at the start of those! If you don't have it, Google Books might have it in their preview

I do actually, that's a good point. I find the Annals very boring so the Massolits may be a bit tedious but I'll def give them a shot in case I manage to take something in. It's definitely helpful to see summaries, as I find all the translations wordy to the point of incoherence :s-smilie:
Original post by beaquin
I do actually, that's a good point. I find the Annals very boring so the Massolits may be a bit tedious but I'll def give them a shot in case I manage to take something in. It's definitely helpful to see summaries, as I find all the translations wordy to the point of incoherence :s-smilie:

I get it - the Cicero is wordy but at least it's moderately interesting. It sucks to have a text that's boring though, like why can't teachers choose a more interesting or easier text? I recorded myself saying all my Cicero and then I just keep on playing it. Then I just write it all down by memory and fill in the gaps.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 16
I get it - the Cicero is wordy but at least it's moderately interesting. It sucks to have a text that's boring though, like why can't teachers choose a more interesting or easier text? I recorded myself saying all my Cicero and then I just keep on playing it. Then I just write it all down by memory and fill in the gaps.

It's true the Cicero is def more interesting. And that's a good technique - I actually also recorded myself saying my Cicero but I've never consistently listened to it, which I def should do! To be honest I tend to just rote learn sentence by sentence on Quizlet until I'm completely confident but it is very tedious unfortunately
Original post by beaquin
It's true the Cicero is def more interesting. And that's a good technique - I actually also recorded myself saying my Cicero but I've never consistently listened to it, which I def should do! To be honest I tend to just rote learn sentence by sentence on Quizlet until I'm completely confident but it is very tedious unfortunately

That's what I'm doing for my verse text haha and the harder bits of the Cicero. It's really tedious. Are you learning the commentary notes or analysis as well?
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 18
That's what I'm doing for my verse text haha and the harder bits of the Cicero. It's really tedious. Are you learning the commentary notes or analysis as well?

I'm not bothering with that particularly, as I feel I've written down the best lit crit points over the course of the last two years. I have a lit-crit copy of each text which is all highlighted and annotated and I tend to just read over that as thoroughly as I can bear to and it usually goes in ok... I would say the analysis is definitely easier to blag your way through than some of the translations, but I also definitely do not give it enough attention. I really hate the literature - latin's only my favourite A-Level for the language side and I'd happily do triple prose comp not to have to write the 15 and 20 markers!

(Speaking of 20 markers is it just me who has no idea how to get more than about 15-16/20? I feel like we barely covered technique in class and have only done a couple of practices)
Original post by beaquin
I'm not bothering with that particularly, as I feel I've written down the best lit crit points over the course of the last two years. I have a lit-crit copy of each text which is all highlighted and annotated and I tend to just read over that as thoroughly as I can bear to and it usually goes in ok... I would say the analysis is definitely easier to blag your way through than some of the translations, but I also definitely do not give it enough attention. I really hate the literature - latin's only my favourite A-Level for the language side and I'd happily do triple prose comp not to have to write the 15 and 20 markers!

(Speaking of 20 markers is it just me who has no idea how to get more than about 15-16/20? I feel like we barely covered technique in class and have only done a couple of practices)

I haven't learnt any lit crit as such - I just made a Quizlet set of rhetorical techniques Cicero might use with examples from the text so I can recognise what a pleonasm is, for example, in the exam and then talk about its effect. I can't be bothered learning any more lit crit especially since I have so many exams in the next few weeks, so it's tiring :frown: I tend to get around 11-13/15 with my analysis qu but I honestly find them the worst.

With 20 markers, our teacher only went through them just a few weeks before study leave and with our prose lit teacher, we only practiced one 20 marker and that was it :/ I've written a couple of plans though so I know what to write on Monday but honestly, it's so confusing. What has helped me is to look at the exemplar document OCR has and then make a document based on what the top scoring student has done and noted the high-level tech-y rhetorical terms they use lolll https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/549349-prose-literature-cicero.pdf (this one is for an older Cicero text and then there's a Tacitus exemplar document for an older Annals bit https://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/572176-prose-literature-tacitus.pdf - but it's still helpful to note down what works and what doesn't).

Also, for the 20 marker, make sure you include historical context and a few bits/or a selected bit from the English prescription too. I didn't include either for my Cicero essay and was limited to 15 but you have to include historical/contextual points as well as include the English bit to get into the highest band. You don't need to dedicate an entire para to them but just have it interwoven with your essay, if that makes sense?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending