The Student Room Group

OCR Latin GCSE Official Thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TeenPolyglot
Well, in actual fact, I was in preparatory school when I started Latin.
If I summed Year 6 Latin up in one word- Minimus.

But any form of "Latin"- even the word- immediately makes you sound more intelligent than your counterparts.

And only a Latin scholar would use the word counterparts in every day conversation.

Innit.

This.
Minimus was amazing:
Noli tangere Rufe!
Noli lacrimare Rufe!
The nostalgia... my days - Year 5 and minimus was so fun.
Original post by niv1234
Yes!Me too I love Latin lessons they are my absolute favourite, the exams not so much though. I wanted an a* in Latin but now I am not so sure if I will actually get that. Yes I heard that as well, I read somewhere, I think it was the BBC website but I'm not sure that its harder to get an E in Latin than a C in any other subject and here I was thinking that Latin was the easiest subject I did.:wink:

Certainly I can say that Ancient greek is a lot harder! But personally I find may other subjects to be harder than latin, although I have been lucky enough to have learnt it since Year 5 with really good teachers
Original post by Pepsi Cola :)
Sorry to intrude on your conversation but I think that's a bit big-headed (I don't mean to cause you any offence!)! For example, I have absolutely no clue what the heck my friends are talking about when they mention the Genesis stories in the Bible or whatever that they do in RS. It's just content that they/we have to learn to secure the grades we want, and to me this does not show that people are 'so clever'. That, on the other hand, is where results day comes in :wink: @TeenPolyglot you too m8: By mentioning Latin 'you sound more intelligent than your counterparts.' Yet another example of my stalker traits 😂 They are probably never ending... 😏😂

I got really into that lol 😂😂

Really its just things people don't know about. I remember in year 9 when I heard some Yr 11's talking about chemistry - I thought they were genii. Turns out that when I studied it, it was really easy and it was simply because i had not studied it. Latin is one of the less taken exams, so more people don't take it and so more people think we are "superior" for taking it - not really true.
Yes. That was the first ever time I learnt Latin, and from "minimus sum", I was hooked.
Then, that teacher ended up in jail, and the French teacher taught Latin for a while.
Then a new- absolutely fantastic- teacher took over and in Year 8, we were being taught the perfect passive participle with relation to gerundives.
Basically...we did "Greasus" as our school show. It was "Grease" in Latin and set in Rome. There were 6 of us.
He was my most inspiring teacher.
Posted from TSR Mobile

That sounds awesome (as in the amazing teacher, not the other bits :/)- wish we did latin or greek plays!
In all honesty, I think all of us have a good chance of getting A and A*.

Unfortunately I don't have a "crew", nor do I have a "legion". I just have the solitary me, myself, I. (Notice the asyndeton!). But I have also enjoyed Latin- if only for the excitement of finding out how much you've stalked me that day 😉😂

And I also read somewhere that Latin was said to be 1 or 2 grades harder than every other subject- it's been proven to be the only subject that has increased non-subjectively in difficulty since O-Levels.
Posted from TSR Mobile

My "legion" is 6 strong -then one dropped out. Still we are really close and have struggled through the greek classes together :smile:
P.s loving the polyptoton or figura etymologica used above.

Unfortunately I don't have a "crew", nor do I have a "legion". I just have the solitary me, myself, I. (Notice the asyndeton!). But I have also enjoyed Latin- if only for the excitement of finding out how much you've stalked me that day 😉😂

And I also read somewhere that Latin was said to be 1 or 2 grades harder than every other subject- it's been proven to be the only subject that has increased non-subjectively in difficulty since O-Levels.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Found a source: http://theconversation.com/difficult-latin-risks-remaining-a-qualification-for-elite-pupils-49987

Looks like this bodes well for us!
Sorry to intrude on your conversation but I think that's a bit big-headed (I don't mean to cause you any offence!)! For example, I have absolutely no clue what the heck my friends are talking about when they mention the Genesis stories in the Bible or whatever that they do in RS. It's just content that they/we have to learn to secure the grades we want, and to me this does not show that people are 'so clever'. That, on the other hand, is where results day comes in :wink: @TeenPolyglot you too m8: By mentioning Latin 'you sound more intelligent than your counterparts.' Yet another example of my stalker traits 😂 They are probably never ending... 😏😂

I got really into that lol 😂😂

Don't worry it wasn't a private conversation. Sorry I didn't mean to sound big headed, I just meant to say that whenever I am discussing Lattin with my friends who do Latin in front of our other friends who don't do Latin especially when we are talking about latin prose or verse they always make comments like that sounds so complicated and we always have to tell them they just give us all the comments and we just have to memorise them and it isn't as complicated as it sounds. Yes I know what you mean by that I know I would have failed if I did some of the subjects my friends did like ICT or PE.
Noooo honestly from the posts that you have previously written on this thread it really does sound like you will get that A* :wink: Have hope! #Believe 😂 I know 😳 I think they were talking about giving Latin students compensation though to show that we have taken a harder exam or something? I dunno though... Hopefully!

I don't know I do hope so but I think I completely messed up Language 2 and verse I liked Language 1 and prose though. I hope you do well too, how did you find everything?
Original post by Martins1
Happy and relieved that its over and all went really well, and not sad because Latin A level here i come! I love doing these exams, especially the latin language ones because its fun to read the translated stories in the forty minutes you have to check (the exam is so short for the amount of time you have)!

Yes

Well, Daughter of Latona or Leto is correct, but somoeone said they put that he was praying to Latona - which is incorrect.

Classical Greek is really fun - If i could i would have done it as an A level, but we simply do not have enough choices.Yeah, that wasn't right at all!I was taught Classical Greek (full course) in the same lesson time as I was given for Latin. In the end, because we were only given two years to learn the full course, we didn't do any Latin for about the final 10 weeks leading up to the exam as we were so focused on getting Greek done - we did not finish the Herodotus text until about a week before that exam. My Latin was a bit rusty after not studying it for ten weeks, but seems like it isn't too bad.

Wow you seem so clever that is really impressive. Finally I have found someone else who enjoys Latin language exams!! Yes!! Oh Ok, I wanted to do Greek GCSE but my school doesn't offer it, I wish I could do Latin for Alevel in school but I might do the distance learners thing when I am older.

Wow, thats interesting. I personally definitely find other subjects much more difficult than Latin.
Original post by niv1234
Wow, thats interesting. I personally definitely find other subjects much more difficult than Latin.

Same here! Latin is quite straightforward as long as you learn the vocab/texts - personally I find English the hardest to get A* in, because it's so subjective.
Original post by niv1234
Don't worry it wasn't a private conversation. Sorry I didn't mean to sound big headed, I just meant to say that whenever I am discussing Lattin with my friends who do Latin in front of our other friends who don't do Latin especially when we are talking about latin prose or verse they always make comments like that sounds so complicated and we always have to tell them they just give us all the comments and we just have to memorise them and it isn't as complicated as it sounds. Yes I know what you mean by that I know I would have failed if I did some of the subjects my friends did like ICT or PE.

Thanks for the reply :smile: Honestly please don't worry about it :wink: Lol same I think I would have got a D if I did PE 😬😂😂
Original post by niv1234
I don't know I do hope so but I think I completely messed up Language 2 and verse I liked Language 1 and prose though. I hope you do well too, how did you find everything?

I really liked Language 1 and Prose too, such beautiful exams 😍😂😂 I liked Language 2 as well but I know I put in an additionally ablative absolute which will probably make me lose quite a lot 😔 I'd say I found Verse the hardest out of them all: I actually thought it was OK, but I messed up the translation because I ran out of time 😬😂 Do you think the grade boundaries will be like last year's (relatively low in comparison to previous years)?
Did anyone do Catullus and Ovid for verse? What did you think of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I honestly think I would cry with happiness if I got an A* in Latin For me it was definitely the subject that needed the most amount of work, so fingers crossed #YouBetterPrayForMe 😂😂 Oooh look at those hashtags comin' back 😂 Aww you were alone in Latin class 😢 That must have been a tough journey; I think I would've died if I hadn't had the others in my class to complain about how hard it is 😂 Oh and don't worry m8, you can always rely on me to stalk you 👌🏼

Yours sincerely,

Your stalker xx 😂😂 I crack myself up 😂
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kaedra
Same here! Latin is quite straightforward as long as you learn the vocab/texts - personally I find English the hardest to get A* in, because it's so subjective.

It really depends what board you do. Our school does a terrible iGCSE AQA English exam - last year we had to get the chief examiner to do a blanket remark and the whole year went up by an average of 1.5 grades! They ditched it after that, but because my year had already embarked on studying for that board we still have to do it - the last year to do so.
Original post by Martins1
It really depends what board you do. Our school does a terrible iGCSE AQA English exam - last year we had to get the chief examiner to do a blanket remark and the whole year went up by an average of 1.5 grades! They ditched it after that, but because my year had already embarked on studying for that board we still have to do it - the last year to do so.

I do that board for French and German. That is a lot to go up by. Good luck with that.
Original post by Kaedra

I completely agree with you I struggle so much in English. It's so hard especially literature, I would take Latin lit. or verse over English any day.
Original post by niv1234
I do that board for French and German. That is a lot to go up by. Good luck with that.

Thank you, hopefully it shouldn't be so bad!
Thanks for the reply :smile: Honestly please don't worry about it :wink: Lol same I think I would have got a D if I did PE 😬😂😂

Its fine and thanks. I would be surprised if I got a D in PE, would have probably got a U. I am the one who just stands there hating my life and wishing the lesson was over in PE.

[QUOTE=Pepsi Cola [excludedFace]smile[/excludedFace];65261779]I really liked Language 1 and Prose too, such beautiful exams 😍😂😂 I liked Language 2 as well but I know I put in an additionally ablative absolute which will probably make me lose quite a lot 😔 I'd say I found Verse the hardest out of them all: I actually thought it was OK, but I messed up the translation because I ran out of time 😬😂 Do you think the grade boundaries will be like last year's (relatively low in comparison to previous years)?

I messed up language 2 so badly :frown: , the meaning was really weird so I think I translated some of it right in my head and then just thought it was wrong and put the wrong thing down. I hated the lines from after the slave- girl left to the astrologers the 'hic me vulnerati' and offering her stomach bit.
Is anyone here taking Latin for Alevel?
Original post by Imas1501
Did anyone do Catullus and Ovid for verse? What did you think of it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

From what I have seen, I think most people here do Virgil for verse. How did you find your section?

Also does anyone know what sources for Latin is apparently there is another option called that.
Reply 359
Original post by niv1234
Is anyone here taking Latin for Alevel?

yeah me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending