The Student Room Group

Edexcel Music GCSE 10th June

How did everybody find the exam?
I loved the essay question- thankgod for Handel😂
The other bits werent my best but decent-ish ://

-------
ATTEMPT AT UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME:
- sorry i dont remember much- i'll need help for answers etc!😉
I don't remember how they phrased the questions but heres the ones i remember- sorry if the answers wrong- if you remember any more comment below and correct me :smile:

1. Mozart
Which subject is this part from? = 1st subject
What are featurss of the development section in sonata form ?= themes taken through variations, its based on exposition, ...
--------------
2. Chopin:
What is the degree of the scale? =Dominant pedal/5th
Describe the melody (3 points) = Ornamentated, lyrical cantabile, legato
--------------
3. Shoenberg-Peripetie

Which instrument begins the extract: French horn, Tuba, Oboe or ?Violin? = French horn

Is the texture: Heterophonic, Homophonic , monophonic or Polyphonic = Monophonic

After the violin solo, describe what the cello, oboe etc do melodywise?=

The 4 melodies on flute solo- right option= A

What is the tonality?- Atonal
-------------
4. Electric Counterpoint-Steve Reich
What was the live performance guitar part called= Resultant melody
How many bass guitars are there?= 2
What is the texture?= Polyphonic
True/false:
True - Does go through lots of time signatures
False - Not change tempo
False - not stay in same key
True - Music polyphonic,
-------------
5. All Blues-Miles Davis
Which part is at the beginning of the extract?= Link
Which is the part where the trumpet comes in? = Head
Which two instruments accompany the riff?"The bass played a ____ for 1 bar" Words to choose from: Plucking, Strumming, Bowing, Tremolo, Chords, .....?= Plucked riff
--------------

6. Grace-Jeff Buckley
Write in the 4 notes: F (same note as previous note) ,E,D, C#
Describe the vocal part?=
What is the tonality of 'fire' - major,minor,chromatic,atonal = chromatic
Give two musical reasons why you like or dislike the piece= Any valid point
---------------

7. Koko- Yiri
Describe the melody of 'Yiri', Give two reasons-

What do the balafons play: Ostinati, chords, .... , ..... -

Describe the 3 textures in this extract :

How can pitch of the drum be changed? =Playing the drum on the edge and in the centre will have different pitches.
---------------
8. Rag Desh:

What is the vocal raga called? - Bandish/Bhajan
Which string instrument plays? - Sarangi

What is the mood of the piece? - "Rag desh is supposed to be played at night during rainy season. It's meant to give the feeling of romance and devotion" I assume thats the answer?

Name two parts of the Alap?- Drone, no pulse or beat/other accompaniment, notes of chosen rag are introduced

What is the rhythmic cycle called? - Tala
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mayfate

The other bits werent my best but decent-ish?

Also what was the Chopin question about the angle of the scale?

Omg i literally kind of winged most of the stuff - although i knew it pretty well - and then when i came out and checked i seemed to have got almost everything that i wasn't sure of right so im like dancing now. Apparently the degree of the scale is the dominant (i just checked the twitter feed)
Original post by Mayfate

The other bits werent my best but decent-ish?

Also what was the Chopin question about the angle of the scale?

It's a fifth, I just found out, although I didn't know this in the exam so I put an octave >.<
What did you put for the term that defines the vocal raga? and what was the rhythmic cycle?
Reply 4
it wasn't too bad, but not fantastic either. a lot harder than the mocks i did beforehand. the answer to the degree of the scale i'm fairly sure is a 5th as it's a dominant pedal, i wrote something like octave for lack of a better answer, but the Handel at the end was a nice extended question, i still feel i lost several marks on that, and the Schoenberg questions were horrible and the miles davis was quite nice in my opinion.

any estimates for when the unofficial mark scheme will be released? i don't know the time frame for things like this, but i want to know for music as i really want an A in the subject.
That exam could've gone a lot, lot better for me which is gutting as I was predicted an A* (and had 58/60 for coursework). I had a really bad nosebleed in the Biology this morning and felt so dizzy, exhausted and ill from that. :frown:

On the plus side, Handel came up as an essay question which is what I've wanted since the start of the course so yay! A bit scared the grade boundaries will be through the roof though as it was such a popular choice to come up.

The degree of the scale was the 5th (dominant pedal) and I think the rhythmic cycle question for Rag Desh was the Tala although I'm not too sure.
Reply 6
Original post by Andreahdlfuente
What did you put for the term that defines the vocal raga? and what was the rhythmic cycle?

I put Bandish (which i dont know if its right) and Tala. And yeah me too i guessed so much of it >.<
Original post by Bubs051213
That exam could've gone a lot, lot better for me which is gutting as I was predicted an A* (and had 58/60 for coursework). I had a really bad nosebleed in the Biology this morning and felt so dizzy, exhausted and ill from that. :frown:

On the plus side, Handel came up as an essay question which is what I've wanted since the start of the course so yay! A bit scared the grade boundaries will be through the roof though as it was such a popular choice to come up.

The degree of the scale was the 5th (dominant pedal) and I think the rhythmic cycle question for Rag Desh was the Tala although I'm not too sure.

Yeah i put the dominant pedal, but for the other thing i put matra. Yeah i was so happy that handel was the last one. I knew so much for it!
Reply 8
Original post by Bubs051213

I had exactly the same for coursework! I hope the A* pulls the listening mark up :/ i wanted A/A* too agh. True the essay was easy but the other general questions were harder than the mocks so hopefully grade boundaries aill be lower!
it could've been better but i liked section b. the only answer i'm sure about is the tonality of peripetie :/
Original post by Mayfate
I had exactly the same for coursework! I hope the A* pulls the listening mark up :/ i wanted A/A* too agh. True the essay was easy but the other general questions were harder than the mocks so hopefully grade boundaries aill be lower!

I'm glad you thought the listening was harder (not in a horrible malicious way!), as hopefully the boundaries will be low. Everyone at my school came out saying that it was medium to hard but I feel so ill that I really have no right now. Hoping you get the A/A* you deserve!
Does anyone know what the tonality of "fire" was in Grace? I put major because I sung the interval in my head and it sounded more like a major scale.

Plus do you think I will get a mark for saying "5th degree" for Chopin? I was going to put dominant down but I was afraid that I got the wrong name haha
What did you guys put for a feature of the development section?
Original post by Rebecca-Joseph
What did you guys put for a feature of the development section?

Modulation of keys, but I'm not sure what the answer is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nicolxkub
Modulation of keys, but I'm not sure what the answer is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I put use of the circle of fifths but dunno either
I put "V" for the degree question would that still get me the marks? Pretty sure it means the same thing
Original post by nomiskelly
Does anyone know what the tonality of "fire" was in Grace? I put major because I sung the interval in my head and it sounded more like a major scale.

Plus do you think I will get a mark for saying "5th degree" for Chopin? I was going to put dominant down but I was afraid that I got the wrong name haha

I put chromatic for Jeff but I'm not sure so, I could be wrong hahah, and for choosing 5th or dominant is fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
I put chromatic for Jeff but I'm not sure so, I could be wrong hahah, and for choosing 5th or dominant is fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chopin sorry**

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would putting V be fine?
Original post by nomiskelly

It's chromatic because the key for grace is Em. Yeah they should accept 5th

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending