The Student Room Group

ABRSM musical theatre singing - no teacher

I’m looking to take a performance exam of grade 6 singing for musical theatre. I don’t have a teacher but have quite a lot of musical experience.

Any general tips?

Also do you have to do the pieces in the specific keys? Just thinking of pieces written originally for different sex…
Reply 1
hello! Grade 8 ABRSM singer here! Nope! Keys don’t matter and I’ve sung gender switched songs several times. As long as you act it well and don’t change the context, they don’t mind! I would say just make sure that your songs contrast and you know background of the musical for the discussion (although I have heard that may have been cut from some exams now). Also be aware that you are expected to apply movement to the songs, not dance but just walking and fully acting the songs as if they were onstage. Other than that, just enjoy it! They’re such fun exams ☺️
Reply 2
Original post by kittieee
hello! Grade 8 ABRSM singer here! Nope! Keys don’t matter and I’ve sung gender switched songs several times. As long as you act it well and don’t change the context, they don’t mind! I would say just make sure that your songs contrast and you know background of the musical for the discussion (although I have heard that may have been cut from some exams now). Also be aware that you are expected to apply movement to the songs, not dance but just walking and fully acting the songs as if they were onstage. Other than that, just enjoy it! They’re such fun exams ☺️

Thanks so much! I wondered because the key is listed in the syllabus but that's great if you can change them, cos my singing around my break is a bit shocking :biggrin:

I'm hoping to do the performance exam where you just video four pieces in one continuous recording, no additional things being marked just that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending